What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can Dan Turn It Around?

Before the season started, most fans said they'd be happy with a lower tier bowl game.

A bowl game was my litmus test for this year at the beginning of the season. I see no reason to change that now.

Give us a bowl and I'll back off Hawk until next year. No bowl, pack your bags, Danny Boy.

A bowl game was my litmus test for this year at the beginning of the season. I see no reason to change that now.

Give us a bowl and I'll back off Hawk until next year. No bowl, pack your bags, Danny Boy.

What if,
no bowl game (close, but not quite), but great finish with recruiting, with guys who want to play for him?

Just asking. Because if he pulled in a Chris Martin out of thin air, or a few similar players, we'd (speaking for myself) would want to stick around and see how next year played out. I'd be totally in line with another year if we show improvement and he brings in an exciting class.

Just win, Dan. It would make everything so much better.

Seriously. I don't think we are going to see a bowl game at the end of the season, but if the OL can continue showing progress and Cody can finally break out of his funk, we could see some solid steps forward.

It is not a funk. This is as good as Cody can be... unfortunately.

I would placated by 6-6, but I would still have serious doubts about the coaching staff going into a much tougher schedule next season. I don't think we'll have to worry about this scenario unfolding anyway, I see 4 wins max.

:rofl2:

Let's just ignore the fact that every single team left on our schedule actually has a winning record, has looked better than us this year, and beat us last year (except for KSU and ISU who really should have beaten us and get to play us at their home this year).

In all honesty, I'm having trouble seeing where the 2nd win is going to come from and don't know how you guys (and Ringo on his blog this week) are able to wrap your minds around 6.

rep :thumbsup:

What if,
no bowl game (close, but not quite), but great finish with recruiting, with guys who want to play for him?

Just asking. Because if he pulled in a Chris Martin out of thin air, or a few similar players, we'd (speaking for myself) would want to stick around and see how next year played out. I'd be totally in line with another year if we show improvement and he brings in an exciting class.

Just win, Dan. It would make everything so much better.

At the end of the day, it's about wins and losses with me now. And this is his 4th year on the job. He needs to be winning.

Getting Chris Martin would be great, but it wouldn't solve the underlying issues up in Boulder. Win or go somewhere else.

At the end of the day, it's about wins and losses with me now. And this is his 4th year on the job. He needs to be winning.

Getting Chris Martin would be great, but it wouldn't solve the underlying issues up in Boulder. Win or go somewhere else.

Pretty much. Chris Martin would be a nice recruiting win, but at the end of the day, we would be still stuck with coaching issues heading into a difficult 2010 schedule. Presumably we would hear "we're really young" by week two.

It is not a funk. This is as good as Cody can be... unfortunately.

I would placated by 6-6, but I would still have serious doubts about the coaching staff going into a much tougher schedule next season. I don't think we'll have to worry about this scenario unfolding anyway, I see 4 wins max.

That, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem for the offense. Cody has no upside. And DCs around the country have plenty of film on how to render him almost completely ineffective.

Pretty much. Chris Martin would be a nice recruiting win, but at the end of the day, we would be still stuck with coaching issues heading into a difficult 2010 schedule. Presumably we would hear "we're really young" by week two.

Substitute Nick Kasa for Chris Martin and we could have had this conversation last year...

Substitute Nick Kasa for Chris Martin and we could have had this conversation last year...

I'm thinking a few recruiting coups yet to be determined and Ole Dan will start looking like the guy who had a plan for 2010.

I'm fine with it. I want to look forward to Saturdays again. I'll take any flavor of koolaid that's offered.

I'm thinking a few recruiting coups yet to be determined and Ole Dan will start looking like the guy who had a plan for 2010.

I'm fine with it. I want to look forward to Saturdays again. I'll take any flavor of koolaid that's offered.

At this point, the recruiting is still important, but secondary. He needs to find a way to win with the guys he already has on campus. So yes, landing some blue chip players would be nice, but it does not change the fact we have serious coaching issues at the moment. Of course, I guess Ole Dan could land several blue chippers and then use the "we're young" excuse again when he plays them as true freshmen. Like freaking Groundhog Day and we're all Phil Connors.

Believe me, Alferd, I'm right there with you. I hate the fact that I haven't been excited about a CU game since the Toledo disaster. I want them to be competitive again so bad it hurts. But I have serious doubts that we will ever see that so long as Hawk is in charge.

At this point, the recruiting is still important, but secondary. He needs to find a way to win with the guys he already has on campus. So yes, landing some blue chip players would be nice, but it does not change the fact we have serious coaching issues at the moment. Of course, I guess Ole Dan could land several blue chippers and then use the "we're young" excuse again when he plays them as true freshmen. Like freaking Groundhog Day and we're all Phil Connors.

I'm just saying I recognize my weakness.
I believed him when he said ten wins and no excuses.
I'll perk up when he tells me that with a new QB and Tony Clemons, or Clark Evans and Richardson combo, or with Chris Martin on board ... things will be different. He'll say it, I'll believe it. I don't know why.
Just the way it is, maybe because I really really want to believe it has to get better than this.
There is part of me that believes we are really just a few small things, a correction here and there, a little more effort ... away from greatness.

sue me.

I am a one game at a time type of guy. I have seen a teams in the past turn it around just by building a little confidence. The one game up now is Texas, although anything can happen it really looks like a Texas victory. CU has to avoid a total beat down which could further demoralize a fragile team.

That, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem for the offense. Cody has no upside. And DCs around the country have plenty of film on how to render him almost completely ineffective.

Almost?

Precisely. Years four and five are put up or shut time fro a new regime. DH deserves every bit of the heat he is getting IMO.

This tread wont matter after KU beats us.

boo!

burst_bubble.jpg

I wonder if Hawkins would return ticket money like Chip Kelly did up at Oregon if fans wrote him and demanded a refund?

While I don't root for the Buffs to lose I think 6 and 6 is a real reach and a difficult scenario.

If he manages to squeeze out six wins he has presented justifiable cause to continue as coach to administration.

The problem with this is that many obvious coaching faults have been exposed this season and I don't see him as a humble man, willing to make changes in the way he does things.

This would also mean that for all the griping that has gone on about personnel this season there will be little or no change next season in this are either. Cody will still start and players like Scott, Simmons and Simas will still spend most of the season "dinged up", "a little behind", "lazy", or suspended for some mysterious reason.
So, you would prefer for us to lose so that the AD will have reason to fire Hawkins? Hmm.

don't see it happening, but as always, it is now the day before gameday, and I have hope once again. God I would love to ruin UT's season.

no way, this cu team can't handle anyone left on its schedule. for them to win one they would have to play lights out. for all of you counting on beating kansas, why? cause were at home? please! how'd that work against the mighty rams? and kstate on the road? nope, saw them play ucla tough in the rose bowl. maybe, maybe iowa state or a & m but i can't imagine them being as bad as us. truth hurts when it comes to cu football. it's a disgrace. im thinking 1-10 will open some eyes. looking forward to it.

So, you would prefer for us to lose so that the AD will have reason to fire Hawkins? Hmm.

now your finally onto something! hmmmmmmmm, **** please, i hope we get beat by 70, get rid of this jackass!

now your finally onto something! hmmmmmmmm, **** please, i hope we get beat by 70, get rid of this jackass!

We get beat by 70, when he's still here next year (between Bohn's support and our financial situation), think about it: now we can't recruit for crap (especially TX), and our fan support dwindles insipidly.

It's not what I call a foolproof plan.

It's more like a kamikaze mission.

So it turns out that when you have no pass rush from your front 4, a QB who can't make plays without playmakers and blown coverages, you are not going to be in many games.

I know you're just thinking positive valdez, but we'll make KSU and A&M look the best they have all season.

Last edited:

What I would prefer the Buffs to do for the balance of the season is go 7-1 or 8-0, play well and maybe win the conference championship, go to and win a respectable bowl game. Hey, most seem to feel Hawk set a goal for ten wins and who would know the program better than its head coach. So it's time for him to unveil his magic and get it on.

This would be enough to stop the crucifixion of Hawkins and the program (tedious to read about), set the table for next year (give some realistic hope) and likely result in a nice recruiting class.

What I don't prefer is a ****storm of controversy for the rest of the season and in particular, if we don't come galloping out of the gates next season more of the same.

Like most around here I'm tired of poor performances. I do believe it is time for Hawkins to put up or shut up. I just have a hard time seeing 6-6 as progress when we already did that two years ago.

How many years of being somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5 can you stomach?? Another three or four??

Dan is not going to turn it around this year - or probably next year either. The only hope is that he gets really lucky in recruiting in the next couple of years while he & his son (I actually feel bad for Cody) continues to embarrass us on the national stage. Any new coach we could theoretically afford would have to be another huge gamble and would take him just as long if not longer to get going. CU football is on the brink....

Can Dan turn it around? Does a bear **** in a funny hat?

Somehow I think I'm mixing metaphors...

I jumped on the fire Hawk bandwagon because of the first two losses and because it looked like there was no improvement in play or on-the-field coaching, week over week. If V's scenario worked out, that would mean a change to that assessment. I don't think it's gonna happen, but I've always (mostly) been behind giving a coach 5 years, and I'd be willing to see one more year from Hawkins.

Only way Juicebox turns this around is if both he and our starting QB come down with swine flu and both are quarantined for 8 weeks.

A 6-6 record would mean the Buffs went 5-3 in conference which could very well be enough wins to get the division nod.

If Hawkins wins the Big 12 north he would be coming back next year, for sure.

Seriously. I don't think we are going to see a bowl game at the end of the season, but if the OL can continue showing progress and Cody can finally break out of his funk, we could see some solid steps forward.

This game/loss could change the course of the season for us. Maybe in a good way. 1-4
I think Kansas is a very beatable team. They are definitely not better than WVU imo. 2-4
We should beat these guys. 3-4
Tough game. Mizzou should win this one easily. 3-5
Another game we should win. 4-5
Win. 5-5
No more Dez Bryant. Could steal this one in Stillwater. Probably not. 5-6
This game is always a winnable game imo. Rivalry. 6-6?

Whoa now. How would all the fans here react to that?:lol:
What in this world makes you think we can compete against Big 12 teams, even teams from the North?:wow:
Pelini has turned around NU. He's done all the things Juicebox promised without shooting off his stupid mouth and making an ass out of himself. We will be lucky to put up 10 points on his defense.

Last edited:
What in this world makes you think we can compete against Big 12 teams, even teams from the North?:wow:
Pelini has turned around NU. He's done all the things Juicebox promised without shooting off his stupid mouth and making an ass out of himself. We will be lucky to put up 10 points on his defense.

Exactly we can't even compete with CSU and Toledo

Back