What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can somebody explain this to me?

He's simply not the caliber of player to compete in the PAC 12..... he plays 4a and still isn't dominant. Tad will act like he's recruiting him, but will be happy to see him go to UNC.

He's simply not the caliber of player to compete in the PAC 12..... he plays 4a and still isn't dominant. Tad will act like he's recruiting him, but will be happy to see him go to UNC.

He's quite dominant in 4A, actually.

I went to high school with a 6'5" shooting guard that averaged almost 30 points per game and probably would have won Mr. Basketball if it wasn't for Chauncey and he could barely sniff D1.

I realize you're joking, but honestly, except for Montana, Idaho and Wyoming, you can legitimately argue CO has the worst HS hoops in the western half of the US.

Yep. It's why I usually have low expectations for CU's local recruits. They were higher for Collier (and Perkins if he had stayed), but I was skeptical about Josh and Wes. Talton, well..

The talent level in Colorado doesn't lend to recruiting a bunch of Colorado high school players. Tad can't win bringing in players that excel in High School here.... but wouldn't start in California or Arizona. its ok to have two or three Colorado kids on your roster...... but Tad needs talent to compete in the PAC12.......

Yep. It's why I usually have low expectations for CU's local recruits. They were higher for Collier (and Perkins if he had stayed), but I was skeptical about Josh and Wes. Talton, well..

Perkins will amaze you next year and beyond. Much more advanced than Collier. Unfortunate injury this year, hard to watch on tape; he'll start next year and be the next Pangos and beyond.

Perkins will amaze you next year and beyond. Much more advanced than Collier. Unfortunate injury this year, hard to watch on tape; he'll start next year and be the next Pangos and beyond.

I had high expectations for him, so I doubt I'll be amazed. Why did you put that comparison to Collier in your post? Oh I know. You're one of those fans who enjoys trashing CU players. Never mind, shouldn't have even responded.

I had high expectations for him, so I doubt I'll be amazed. Why did you put that comparison to Collier in your post? Oh I know. You're one of those fans who enjoys trashing CU players. Never mind, shouldn't have even responded.

My saying that Perkins came into the college game "much more advanced than Collier" is not "trashing CU players". It's just a fact and was expected by most observers. I'm just a big Perkins fan and I guess it, and my Gonzaga boosterism, came through. I got off subject, so sorry about that. If your point
was that it's often wise in general to have modest expectations of most local Colorado HS players I totally agree.

Colorado Mr. Skiing is much better.

No, its not! The East, with its shi*ty snow/ice mixture and conditions produces much better technical skiers than the champagne powder slopes of Colorado!

As for a large part of Colorado HS basketball mediocrity, see CHSAA, Exhibit "A" and Exhibit "B", no true inner-city basketball culture. Everybody in CO seems suburbanized!

Last edited:
No, its not! The East, with its shi*ty snow/ice mixture and conditions produces much better technical skiers than the champagne powder slopes of Colorado!

As for a large part of Colorado HS basketball mediocrity, see CHSAA, Exhibit "A" and Exhibit "B", no true inner-city basketball culture. Everybody in CO seems suburbanized!

"Suburban" is what you need for good high school basketball. The talent has moved to the burbs. Where the state of Colorado falls short is in the lack of a basketball culture. For example, we don't have any of our private schools with a ton of resources competing to compile the state's best talent like we see them do in football. That's what needs to happen.

Steamboat alone has produced more ski Olympians than the total from any other State. Add in Vail and the other ski meccas and it's not even close.

"Suburban" is what you need for good high school basketball. The talent has moved to the burbs. Where the state of Colorado falls short is in the lack of a basketball culture. For example, we don't have any of our private schools with a ton of resources competing to compile the state's best talent like we see them do in football. That's what needs to happen.

Agreed. Take a look at New Hampton High School in lowly New Hampshire. It has become a ridiculous source of NCAA/NBA talent and at this point is more of a basketball factory than prep school.

The setting for the Hoop Dreams II documentary:

renovo-suburbia.jpg

Wow. Didn't see this coming. Guess we need to make an official profile.

[tweet]596518802310828032[/tweet]

Good for him! 2017 means a year of prep school?

He'll be a senior at Longmont this coming season. Maybe Sacky can find out what he'll be doing in 16.

rep to [MENTION=8]sackman[/MENTION] for starting this thread!

Last edited:

If 'Suburban' is what you need for good HS hoops then the entire southwestern sprawl would be considered a mecca for youth bball. It's not. Highly competitive youth bball occurs in cities with massive population centers because height/athleticism combinations are rare. If Valor & Mullen monopolized the Colorado hoops scene, this state would still be drastically behind LA, Chicago, Philly, & NYC because we, thankfully, do not sniff their population numbers.

If 'Suburban' is what you need for good HS hoops then the entire southwestern sprawl would be considered a mecca for youth bball. It's not. Highly competitive youth bball occurs in cities with massive population centers because height/athleticism combinations are rare. If Valor & Mullen monopolized the Colorado hoops scene, this state would still be drastically behind LA, Chicago, Philly, & NYC because we, thankfully, do not sniff their population numbers.

New Jersey produces more and better prep hoops talent than NYC these days. Same thing is happening in Chicago. City hoops is horrible. They don't have the resources to compete any more. The best players aren't coming from the cities.

New Jersey produces more and better prep hoops talent than NYC these days. Same thing is happening in Chicago. City hoops is horrible. They don't have the resources to compete any more. The best players aren't coming from the cities.

Yes, recruiting in HS's to powerhouses has become more prominent as of late, but I'm not sure about your end sentence. If you're saying the best players aren't attending inner city high schools, that's fair although there are more than a few players (even in Chicago...which I actually think of an exception to the decline of city high schools' bball) that would prove otherwise (e.g. Rose, Davis, Okafor). If on the other hand you're saying that the best players are coming out of surburban environments and not from the cities...I'd disagree. Going back to Chicago bball - even as far back as Isiah Thomas...he grew up in the city, but attended a private HS in St Joe's. I'm willing to bet Isiah would say he's from the city. Chris Webber as well with Detriot - I remember a friend thinking that Chris came from a middle class at least because he went to Country Day... ...no, maybe not as harsh as Jalen Rose, but Chris Webber came from the city. Many NJ kids also still grew up in poor areas. I'm not a native of there, but my general understanding is that while there may not be a typical big CITY to say a kid is from, the sprawling buroughs of some areas can be like growing up in an inner city. Poor is poor - I'm pretty sure Michael Kidd Gilchrist, while attending a private school, would identify more with city kids than suburbs due to his poor background.

I have a feeling we're on the same page knowing how you follow recruiting. I'd just offer that city hoops isn't horrible and still produces some good talent. Yes, while powerhouse private schools have taken over many regions, they still recruit from cities, and are not able to recruit every single player. I'm not from Chicago, but I believe there's still a lot of pride saying you went to and played for Whitney Young, Morgan Park, Simeon, etc.

Yes, recruiting in HS's to powerhouses has become more prominent as of late, but I'm not sure about your end sentence. If you're saying the best players aren't attending inner city high schools, that's fair although there are more than a few players (even in Chicago...which I actually think of an exception to the decline of city high schools' bball) that would prove otherwise (e.g. Rose, Davis, Okafor). If on the other hand you're saying that the best players are coming out of surburban environments and not from the cities...I'd disagree. Going back to Chicago bball - even as far back as Isiah Thomas...he grew up in the city, but attended a private HS in St Joe's. I'm willing to bet Isiah would say he's from the city. Chris Webber as well with Detriot - I remember a friend thinking that Chris came from a middle class at least because he went to Country Day... ...no, maybe not as harsh as Jalen Rose, but Chris Webber came from the city. Many NJ kids also still grew up in poor areas. I'm not a native of there, but my general understanding is that while there may not be a typical big CITY to say a kid is from, the sprawling buroughs of some areas can be like growing up in an inner city. Poor is poor - I'm pretty sure Michael Kidd Gilchrist, while attending a private school, would identify more with city kids than suburbs due to his poor background.

I have a feeling we're on the same page knowing how you follow recruiting. I'd just offer that city hoops isn't horrible and still produces some good talent. Yes, while powerhouse private schools have taken over many regions, they still recruit from cities, and are not able to recruit every single player. I'm not from Chicago, but I believe there's still a lot of pride saying you went to and played for Whitney Young, Morgan Park, Simeon, etc.

Sounds more like a difference in how we define "suburban". For instance, a relative from Sioux City sees herself as living in a city and was shocked that Boulder with its larger population didn't have its own tv stations.

New Jersey can be a lot like that in terms of townships having big populations but not being cities. Tons of density, but none of it is really a city (none - Newark, Trenton, Jersey City, Atlantic City, etc. - have a population of even 300k). There's nowhere that really makes sense for hosting a parade if the Devils win the Stanley Cup, for example. What we call suburbs in Colorado are still developing as real suburbs. In NJ, for example, there are 30 public high schools with enrollment of 2,000 or more students. It's all suburban.

What's gone on in the cities is that the playgrounds are empty with the recent generations and the facilities (old buildings, including churches, with low ceilings you can't arc a shot within), coaches, and weight room training equipment (if there is any) are all 3rd class. Anyone any good, even if born in a city, quickly finds a way to move in with family/friends/mentor in the suburbs.

Seems like most of the stud players that have come from Chicago recently are public school kids. Okafor, Alexander, Parker, Rose, Davis, etc.

Back