What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can Tad get this thing turned around?

Tad needs to commit to try a zone defense, can our perimeter 'd' really get any worse?
I would also like to see us switch to a zone everyone once in a while to keep the other team guessing especially after a time out when they have drawn up a plan on our man to man D. Put JHop or Fletch up top with their quickness and long arms and pressure the ball handler. They will create turnovers like Burks used to.

Maybe you caught what Tim Miles had to say about his Bugeaters after they were destroyed by 28 in Lincoln this weekend. Boyle should have used this tack a month or so ago.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/husker...cle_eaf2cb16-badb-11e4-820c-6f034d31be6b.html

Miles never raised his voice, but the smoke shooting from his pores indicated his level of disgust.

He believed the Huskers “half-assed it,” and said the offense was so disjointed “it looked like the Bad News Bears.”

“You never want to throw your players under the bus,” Miles said. “But that was beyond disappointing. That’s not what we represent. ... We quit easily today, and that’s a great disappointment.”

Under Miles, there are consequences for falling behind at home by 26 points at halftime and making up no ground in the next 20 minutes.

He banned Husker players from interviews, a policy that will continue throughout this week and perhaps beyond.

The players also need a new dressing area for practice.

The fancy locker room at Hendricks Training Complex — with its multiple big-screen TVs and pool table and smoothie bar and leather lounge chairs and heated towel racks and I-pod shower plug-ins — is closed.

“There will be chains on the doors locking it from the outside,” Miles said, “until further notice.”

So where will the players dress?

“Good luck,” Miles said, glaring. “They’re creative.”

To start the second half, Iowa went on a 9-4 run to build a 51-20 lead with 14:52 to play. That sent writers scurrying to the record book to find the worst home loss in school history. (It was 34 points, 79-45 to Ohio State, in 2012).

“When’s the last time we saw a 50-20 game?” Miles asked rhetorically. “50 to 20, for crying out loud.

“About that time, I started thinking about recruiting.”

Something else crossed Miles’ mind as he saw the overflow crowd of 15,933 at Pinnacle Bank Arena hang around deep into the second half.

While coaching at Division II Southwest Minnesota State, his team — to raise money to buy basketball shoes — would work trash detail for a weekend at a renaissance festival.

“If I had the option,” Miles said, “I would do that tonight, tomorrow and the next day and pay back the fans the cost of their ticket. Our fans have been so supportive and so great. We get 15,000 people here and just go into non-compete mode. We showed softness and a lack of leadership and a lack of willingness to listen to leadership. It’s unacceptable.”

[T]he statistics from this game, Miles said bluntly, don’t matter.
“You have to have a great amount of pride to compete when things aren’t going well,” he said. “We didn’t show any pride.”

Will be following the Big Red from here on out -- big kudos to Coach Miles.

Miles' tactic is newsworthy because it's unusual and extreme. Remains to be seen whether it will be effective. Maybe they'll go to Ohio State and play well this week. Maybe it means that he has cracked and won't be in that job for long. Publicly reprimanding and embarrassing your players is not a card you can play more than once. It's a desperation move when a coach is at his end and no longer thinks he's capable of handling things behind closed doors. Only a few egomaniac coaches like Bobby Knight have been able to successfully separate themselves from the team that way as if they're above it instead of part of it.

Honestly, while I know that Miles is kind of a social media hero over this I don't think it was the way to play it. If Tad did that, I'd feel better for a few minutes and then start thinking that it was him throwing his hands up and admitting publicly that he'd lost the team.

Remember when Patton made the team sleep in the keg? I don't think that type of thing works.

Remember when Patton made the team sleep in the keg? I don't think that type of thing works.

I believe he did that before the first home game he coached when he took over mid season. Lost by 1 or 2 against Kansas. Did it a few more times but not sure it was effective.

Miles is a damn joke. Maybe he should stop tweeting during games before he throws stones at his team.

Nebraska responded to this by getting boat raced 42-24 in the first half last night on its way to losing by 24 in a completely non-competitive game.

Nebraska responded to this by getting boat raced 42-24 in the first half last night on its way to losing by 24 in a completely non-competitive game.

Yep. Frightening to think about what might have happened had he NOT gone all medieval on them last week.:lol: Sometimes correlation = causation, sometimes not so much. Maybe time'll show that the young SD boy can't handle Big10 pressure. Last night he almost missed opening tip!

Will be fun to see how Tad's 48 hours of hell pays off Sunday night...

Yep. Frightening to think about what might have happened had he NOT gone all medieval on them last week.:lol: Sometimes correlation = causation, sometimes not so much. Maybe time'll show that the young SD boy can't handle Big10 pressure. Last night he almost missed opening tip!

Will be fun to see how Tad's 48 hours of hell pays off Sunday night...

My point in the NU-OSU game score was more that it didn't make a difference versus how they'd been playing.

Last home game of the year against a team on the back end of a mountain zone road trip is a much bigger factor than anything Tad said at this point of the year, I think.

Frankly, in both cases I believe it was more about what the offseason expectations are going to be if guys want to continue to be a part of the respective programs. There was some of the competitor thing where both coaches probably believe their team can win the conference tourney, but they also have a dose of reality.

Back