What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Can we end this charade?

There are other positions that we are waiting to hear who the starter is as well. Who will be the #1LG, #1RT, and #2 WR (saying Clemmons is #1 and Scotty is in the slot). Those announcements will come at the same time that QB is announced. All we are seeing is at QB is a fifth year guy who was the starter in the past, and they want to give him a chance to compete. He is not proving that he is better, but the coaches won't rush to judgement. That is all that is happening. Everyone knows who the starter will be. Tyler will start, and Cody will get mop up duty.

Tyler is going to start, everyone settle down. So he doesn't have a big announcement, if the team knows the deal then who cares really. And having Cody take some reps with the 1s is no big deal either, you want your backup to be prepared to step in if Tyler goes down. Hawk has handled this oddly to say the least, but I think we're reading way too much into this.

Not to pile on ya sinkratz... But your post is a great one and makes total sense -- if we're talking about Hawkins and Hansen going at it and the head coach isn't Dan Hawkins. Everyone in black and gold has a right to feel jittery and scared that we're about to go down a "Oh here we go again" path. Last season was such a cluster with the QB position and it's starting to sound like Hawk is going to push his son back out there at the first Hansen mistake.

My super conspiracy thought: Hawk knows he's done, so he's going to start Hansen, pull him at the first mistake and say that didn't work. Then he will play little Hawk the rest of the season and push him to add to all his school passing records so "at least we have that" after Cody leaves and Hawk is fired.

It's threads like this that make me glad I'm NOT in Colorado. At least here, I can read this stuff, think "Oh hell" and then just unplug and go about my day down here without being reminded of that bad news.

Cody will get mop up duty.

What's mop up duty? I don't think we've had any opportunities at mop up duty since DH has been here.

This all boils down the fact that this is likely Hawk's last year. Why would he not play his son? I fear DH will play Cody far too often and TH is gonna take it on the chin even though he has been a "good soldier".

Tyler is going to start, everyone settle down. So he doesn't have a big announcement, if the team knows the deal then who cares really. And having Cody take some reps with the 1s is no big deal either, you want your backup to be prepared to step in if Tyler goes down. Hawk has handled this oddly to say the least, but I think we're reading way too much into this.
:yeahthat:
I hope Hansen stays healthy all year, but as more of a dual-threat QB, he is vulnerable to more hits, and I'm happy to have Cody as a back up QB that can lead the team and run the offense, if required.

The CUAD just mailed out glossy copy of the latest Stampede.

#9 Hansen is all by himself on the cover.

Clearly even the AD knows who the starting QB will be this season (baring altercations at fraternity houses or other off-field issues).

When the AD (the coach's boss) comes out and says that if you've been paying attention, you know that Hansen is going to be the starter, I think it's academic at this point. If Cody trots out there against CSU, his father will need a ride home.

But all that aside, why this big secret? If, like Bohn says, it's obvious to anybody who's been paying attention, why isn't it obvious to Hawkins? What is the purpose of doing what he's doing?

When the AD (the coach's boss) comes out and says that if you've been paying attention, you know that Hansen is going to be the starter, I think it's academic at this point. If Cody trots out there against CSU, his father will need a ride home.

But all that aside, why this big secret? If, like Bohn says, it's obvious to anybody who's been paying attention, why isn't it obvious to Hawkins? What is the purpose of doing what he's doing?

Could it be as simple as the fact that no starters have been named at any positions and Hawkins refuses to acknowledge a competition is over while they're still in camp?

Hawk thinks he's being super agent and fooling everyone.

In his last interview with Rivals he said flat out that when he names a QB would probably have very little impact on CSU's game planning.

That's not the reason. I think he just wants the competition (even if he has to manufacture it) and thinks it's good for player development.

In his last interview with Rivals he said flat out that when he names a QB would probably have very little impact on CSU's game planning.

That's not the reason. I think he just wants the competition (even if he has to manufacture it) and thinks it's good for player development.

Sure. He's had so much success doing things the way he's doing them, why change, right?

Sure. He's had so much success doing things the way he's doing them, why change, right?

That's what kills me, he keeps doing the same thing over and over with the same pathetic results yet people defend it like it's worked before..

You know what kills me? People who are still so up in arms over last season that they have become irrational, find fault with every single thing that is done, and are so transparent that it's clear to everyone that the critiques would be just as strong if the coaches did the opposite of whatever is being criticized.

Hansen has been on top of the QB depth chart since the 6th game of the 2009 season. He was on top of the depth chart all through spring and at the end of spring. He organized summer workouts for the team as the starting QB. He is getting almost all the reps with the 1s during fall camp. Players, his position coach/offensive coordinator, our athletic director and Hansen himself all refer to him as the starting quarterback. But not a single starter for the CSU has been named for any position yet.

But if you guys feel a need to direct your anger somewhere, I suppose this is a fine subject. Why don't we all pretend that Hansen's not getting enough work to be ready and that Dan is sabotaging his confidence and his development because he is dead set on finding a reason to justify starting his son this year? Forget what I posted above. Let's just go with this and scream about what bull**** it is that Dan would care more about getting his son some passing records than he cares about winning football games.

You know what kills me? People who are still so up in arms over last season that they have become irrational, find fault with every single thing that is done, and are so transparent that it's clear to everyone that the critiques would be just as strong if the coaches did the opposite of whatever is being criticized.

Hansen has been on top of the QB depth chart since the 6th game of the 2009 season. He was on top of the depth chart all through spring and at the end of spring. He organized summer workouts for the team as the starting QB. He is getting almost all the reps with the 1s during fall camp. Players, his position coach/offensive coordinator, our athletic director and Hansen himself all refer to him as the starting quarterback. But not a single starter for the CSU has been named for any position yet.

But if you guys feel a need to direct your anger somewhere, I suppose this is a fine subject. Why don't we all pretend that Hansen's not getting enough work to be ready and that Dan is sabotaging his confidence and his development because he is dead set on finding a reason to justify starting his son this year? Forget what I posted above. Let's just go with this and scream about what bull**** it is that Dan would care more about getting his son some passing records than he cares about winning football games.

Player development? For Cody? Little late isn't it? I think hansen will start, my post is more of a reflection on everything hawk does as cu football coach and his stubborness to try something different. We need to have a good year and a winning season, everyone wants that but hawk made his bed and you think this boards fans are too negative? Might want to check around.....

Player development? For Cody? Little late isn't it? I think hansen will start, my post is more of a reflection on everything hawk does as cu football coach and his stubborness to try something different. We need to have a good year and a winning season, everyone wants that but hawk made his bed and you think this boards fans are too negative? Might want to check around.....

I meant Hansen's development. He wasn't exactly consistent last season to the point that most analysts have him in the bottom third of Big 12 QBs even though a bunch of guys above him are new starters. Hansen needs to be pushed.

And I never said that I think this board's fans are too negative. I think this board, if it errors, it is erring on the side of being too positive and supportive when any observer of CU football knows we've had a train wreck for most of the past 5 seasons (with 2 years prior to that when we could see the wreck coming). I just want the criticisms to be reasonable. Or at least funny if someone goes off the deep end.

I don't have doubts that Hansen will be the starter. My concern is that at the first sign of him struggling he will be taken out. This is what was so frustrating about last year. That the coaches think if TH isn't hot then Cody can easily step in and turn the game around. Even the best quarterbacks in the world will have some games they start off poorly, but many times they can snap out of it, figure out the D, and end up with great numbers. You can't take a bad start to mean he isn't going to play well all day.
It's Cody's last year, after this - the only football he will ever play will be intramurals or a flag league.

It's Cody's last year, after this - the only football he will ever play will be intramurals or a flag league.

Yep. He'll probably land as a grad assistant somewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if Helfrich took him at Oregon. Boise State's a possibility as well as anywhere Koetter would land. There are also some connections with Tedford through Kiesau and Foster. I think he'll do well in coaching, actually.

Were you making a point beyond that observation?

Yep. He'll probably land as a grad assistant somewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if Helfrich took him at Oregon. Boise State's a possibility as well as anywhere Koetter would land. There are also some connections with Tedford through Kiesau and Foster. I think he'll do well in coaching, actually.

Were you making a point beyond that observation?
Sure was - he will play in 2010 - I think alot more than we will want to see him.

Sure was - he will play in 2010 - I think alot more than we will want to see him.

Be a major ****storm if that happens for any reason other than injury or awful play out of Hansen. I don't think you're right, but neither of us knows anything for sure at this point. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Be a major ****storm if that happens for any reason other than injury or awful play out of Hansen. I don't think you're right, but neither of us knows anything for sure at this point. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
I hope you are right.

Back