What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFB Playoff.

K
Not really. If Ohio State, Oregon and Oklahoma all win out, and Alabama loses to Georgia, do you really think that means Alabama is all of the sudden a worse team than those three?

How can your opinion of Alabama change, relative to the other contenders, when there’s no H2H evidence and Bama’s only loss since now is to the best team in the country?
It could. It depends.

Nonsense. If they have two losses, then they are not among the four best teams. Just cancel the regular season then and in the words of Dennis Green "Crown their ass."
It reminds me of 2001, yes I've said this before. If we didn't step on our dick against Fresneck State, we play Miami in the National Title game. 2 losses is hard overcome.

This debate is why I hate the CFB playoff system. The subjectivity of the entire process is idiotic. If it's me, I'd scrap the entire thing, make every conference name a champion, and only those teams who won a conference championship have the right to participate in the national championship playoffs. If the 2nd best team in the SEC is excluded because of it, tough ****. Win your conference.

People are really throwing out potential Vegas betting lines to justify this? If that's the case, just let Vegas decide the champion after the regular season and be done with it.

Michigan St isn’t as good as its ranking, IMO.

Their remaining schedule is:
@ Purdue
vs Maryland
@ Ohio St
vs Penn St

I believe they will lose at least two of those. And that isn’t Tucker hate. Just a belief Cinderalla’s story isn’t going to be run through to completion.
I can see them losing to Blowhio State. Maybe Penn State is a toss up?

This debate is why I hate the CFB playoff system. The subjectivity of the entire process is idiotic. If it's me, I'd scrap the entire thing, make every conference name a champion, and only those teams who won a conference championship have the right to participate in the national championship playoffs. If the 2nd best team in the SEC is excluded because of it, tough ****. Win your conference.

People are really throwing out potential Vegas betting lines to justify this? If that's the case, just let Vegas decide the champion after the regular season and be done with it.
The charter is simple. Choose the best four teams, not the most deserving.

in the early stages, there is no unifying, defensible criteria. It will work itself out.

It’s ridiculous and massively flawed how teams like Alabama benefit from the multiplication effect and also ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt.

And that’s gonna get even worse if they go for an eight team playoff.
Yeah, they get a great deal of latitude but let’s be honest, they’ve earned it. They’d be 15 point favorites over both MSU and OR and probably 20 point favorites over the rest of the top 10.

Not really. If Ohio State, Oregon and Oklahoma all win out, and Alabama loses to Georgia, do you really think that means Alabama is all of the sudden a worse team than those three?

How can your opinion of Alabama change, relative to the other contenders, when there’s no H2H evidence and Bama’s only loss since now is to the best team in the country?
It can change, because you know they play a game. Are you really missing the difference between getting blown out and a tight game?

Would you really still consider them #2 if they lose 41-14? I wouldn't. I would rank them 5th and say you should played better.

If they lose a tight game like 23-21 and it is that close all game, then yes they are still probably the second best team. That's how I would view them, even with 2 loses.

If Cincinnati can’t get in, the G5 conferences need to create their own playoff system and move on.
Give it about 3 years and it’ll happen. But I think it will include upper tier G5 and lower tier P5. Cincy will make the cut and be a part of the foretold super 32 if they retain Fickell.

It can change, because you know they play a game. Are you really missing the difference between getting blown out and a tight game?

Would you really still consider them #2 if they lose 41-14? I wouldn't. I would rank them 5th and say you should played better.

If they lose a tight game like 23-21 and it is that close all game, then yes they are still probably the second best team. That's how I would view them, even with 2 loses.

Okay, I sorta understand this viewpoint, but the flipside is how does Bama's overall resume look at that point? Their best win would likely be a 3-4 loss Auburn or Ole Miss. Not bad, but hardly really good either. The wins have to matter as well, if you are really going to justify a two-loss team.

Last edited:
Okay, I sorta understand this viewpoint, but the flipside is how does Bama's overall resume look at that point? Their best win would likely be a 3-4 loss Auburn or Ole Miss. Not bad, but hardly really good either. The wins have to matter as well, if you are really going to justify a two-loss team.
Agree. Strength of Record (not Schedule) can help sort that out.

One win that might be overlooked is Miss State, only team to beat three CFP ranked opponents.

Agree. Strength of Record (not Schedule) can help sort that out.

One win that might be overlooked is Miss State, only team to beat three CFP ranked opponents.

Come on Hawg, Miss State is likely a five-loss team at the end of the season.

If they are always going to get the BOTD and their losses aren’t really going to matter, then they might as well just sit the season out until the playoff.
Where do you think they should be ranked currently?

I say 2, but would see 3 or 4 just as easily.

Come on Hawg, Miss State is likely a five-loss team at the end of the season.
I hear you. It currently helps their SOR though, especially since they thumped them. It will change as more data are accumulated.

If Alabama’s loss to aTm isn’t going to matter, then I don’t know why a loss to the clear #1 team would matter all that much.

Bear in mind that the general BOTD Alabama gets and has gotten over the last ten years in turn also increases their odds of getting better recruits which in turn increases their chances of winning games which increases their chances of getting to the playoff and the associated economic benefits and the exposure that comes with it. It's a perfect example of the multiplication effect and how their margin for error, despite already enjoying certain advantages, is bigger than it is for other teams.

Bear in mind that the general BOTD Alabama gets and has gotten over the last ten years in turn also increases their odds of getting better recruits which in turn increases their chances of winning games which increases their chances of getting to the playoff and the associated economic benefits and the exposure that comes with it. It's a perfect example of the multiplication effect and how their margin for error, despite already enjoying certain advantages, is bigger than it is for other teams.
Where would you have them ranked?

Which year in CFP did they get the BOTD to materially affect their Top 4 rating? Not flaming. Just wondering.

in general I think CFP has basically got it right every year.

Where would you have them ranked?

Which year in CFP did they get the BOTD to materially affect their Top 4 rating? Not flaming. Just wondering.

in general I think CFP has basically got it right every year.

i don't know, I have barely followed this season due to time constraints and because CU's incompetence affects my general enjoyment of the sport.

It's a general observation based on the last few years. To a degree the same applies (although it remains to be seen how that turns out over the coming years) to Clemson

Back