What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP recommended to expand to 12-team model

I don’t know. I’m speculating at their motives. Over time, it would probably work out that SEC and B1G are over represented. Anybody’s guess at the level of that over-representation. Maybe it works out that the SEC averages 2.5 teams per year over ten years, the B1G 2.25 and the others fall somewhere below that.
SEC will get Atleast 3 a year and I can’t really argue with it at this point. Pac will get 2. Big will be somewhere in between

If he’s unable to do it at Texas, why would he be able to at Alabama? Why would Alabama want him if he isn’t able to elevate Texas?
He can elevate UT and still fall short of NCs. He’s well thought of in Alabama. Saban likes him. And he will have a say.

Saban is there for a while. Lots can happen.

He can elevate UT and still fall short of NCs. He’s well thought of in Alabama. Saban likes him. And he will have a say.

Saban is there for a while. Lots can happen.
If he can’t elevate UT to Natty level, why would Alabama believe he’s be able to win there?

I say he can raise UT to a top 5-6 again in a few years. Does that meet your Natty level criteria?
I’m asking you, if he can get UT to that level again, why would he leave for Alabama? What advantages does Alabama have that Texas does not?

Texas is probably one of a very few schools that could go head to head with Alabama in a coaching bidding war and come out on top. If he’s successful at UT, he will be the highest paid HC in college football before very long and he won’t have to move to get there.
Yep. Alabama is rich but not Texas rich. The only way Texas gets outbid for anything is if college sports is no longer

So you believe there is an institutional advantage that Alabama over Texas that allows them to be a place where Sark could win a NC, while he couldn’t win one at UT?
Yes.

Texas facilities are good, but lag. UT boosters are great, but they meddle. Saban will help his successor, that’s not there at Texas. The focus on excellence is institutional, it’s not there yet for UT.

He may indeed have a great and long career at UT. I like him. If the job was open today, he’d be on the short list.

I could maybe see Sark going from UT to Alabama if the big hats in Austin get to be too intrusive and he feels like there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Otherwise, I don’t see anything at Alabama that leads me to believe that there is some kind of built in advantage to winning a national championship there.

I honestly wonder how much longer he stays at Alabama. I know he’s a type A personality and lives on the pressure that comes with the job, but he’s basically 70 years old at this point. Is he still coaching at 75? When he retires, there’s going to be a huge power vacuum in college football.
He's probably too scared to retire from Bama. Last time a coach retired from there he was dead a month later.

Playoff expansion happening sooner than I expected. It was inevitable due to the money, but I thought it would take a while.

So you believe there is an institutional advantage that Alabama over Texas that allows them to be a place where Sark could win a NC, while he couldn’t win one at UT?
Living here in Texas, in a totally non-scientific observation, I think A&M bailing to the SEC really hurt UT. While they were in the same conf, A&M was essentially UT’s bitch and everything funneled into UT.

But now that Aggie is playing the likes of Bama, UF, LSU, UGA, etc and having some success and putting it self in a position to compete for the playoffs, focus is starting to drift from UT while at the same time “Big Hat” consternation and meddling increases.

Living here in Texas, in a totally non-scientific observation, I think A&M bailing to the SEC really hurt UT. While they were in the same conf, A&M was essentially UT’s bitch and everything funneled into UT.

But now that Aggie is playing the likes of Bama, UF, LSU, UGA, etc and having some success and putting it self in a position to compete for the playoffs, focus is starting to drift from UT while at the same time “Big Hat” consternation and meddling increases.
UT is trying to get it back. Sark, facilities, stadium, academic center, recruiting process, AD, Ietc.

aTm jumping ahead was a real blow to them. Others have come to feed while their recruiting has been sub-par.

I think Sark gets it going again.

UT is trying to get it back. Sark, facilities, stadium, academic center, recruiting process, AD, Ietc.

aTm jumping ahead was a real blow to them. Others have come to feed while their recruiting has been sub-par.

I think Sark gets it going again.
I agree with your summation that Sark will get it going again, getting the 5* QB from CA. says something without saying it. Mullet man going to tOSU isn't an indictment on Sark as to why he left TX. to play out of state.

I’m skeptical on Sark getting it done in Austin. He can be credited for getting Washington back on track but he couldn’t get it done at USC. Sure he rehabbed his image at Alabama but that’s not a guarantee for success once you get out from under Saban’s shadow.

And I’m not sure how big of a deal that band song controversy is in Austin but that cannot be too helpful to their recruiting efforts.

Please explain.
To me, it feels a bit like the fix is in. It is a huge advantage to the top 4 teams. And the difference between 3,4,5,6,7, and 8 could be arbitrary depending on the year. Also, the format robs itself of the most epic upset opportunities. It's college athletics. Why is it okay for some teams to play more games than others? It just feels wrong to me. Either go with 8 or 16. But 12 is stupid.

To me, it feels a bit like the fix is in. It is a huge advantage to the top 4 teams. And the difference between 3,4,5,6,7, and 8 could be arbitrary depending on the year. Also, the format robs itself of the most epic upset opportunities. It's college athletics. Why is it okay for some teams to play more games than others? It just feels wrong to me. Either go with 8 or 16. But 12 is stupid.
I genuinely think this is temporary step and we will eventually end up at 16. That’s got to be the eventual goal.

I’m skeptical on Sark getting it done in Austin. He can be credited for getting Washington back on track but he couldn’t get it done at USC. Sure he rehabbed his image at Alabama but that’s not a guarantee for success once you get out from under Saban’s shadow.

And I’m not sure how big of a deal that band song controversy is in Austin but that cannot be too helpful to their recruiting efforts.
He coached 18 games at USC and went 12-6 while drunk at least part of the time. I think it’s fair to give him the benefit of the doubt that he has overcome those demons and has his addiction under control. If he does, I think he’s a really good coach.

The Eyes of Texas issue does not appear to be hurting recruiting at all. The University President had a committee look into the songs origins and determined it was created in a racist environment but is not overtly racist on its own. People can agree or disagree with that, but the Prez stated the song will remain, so that gives Sark some cover from the decision since it came from the top of the university.

He coached 18 games at USC and went 12-6 while drunk at least part of the time. I think it’s fair to give him the benefit of the doubt that he has overcome those demons and has his addiction under control. If he does, I think he’s a really good coach.

The Eyes of Texas issue does not appear to be hurting recruiting at all. The University President had a committee look into the songs origins and determined it was created in a racist environment but is not overtly racist on its own. People can agree or disagree with that, but the Prez stated the song will remain, so that gives Sark some cover from the decision since it came from the top of the university.

I hope he stays sober and you might be right that his drinking problems might have kept him from winning more games at his previous stops.

I recall seeing Ehlinger seemingly being alone when the band played that song at the end and f the Alamo Bowl while doing that horns hand gesture. Maybe that controversy isn’t as great as it appears but any recruiters going against UT can use that against UT.

I will still proudly do that horns down gesture.

I hope he stays sober and you might be right that his drinking problems might have kept him from winning more games at his previous stops.

I recall seeing Ehlinger seemingly being alone when the band played that song at the end and f the Alamo Bowl while doing that horns hand gesture. Maybe that controversy isn’t as great as it appears but any recruiters going against UT can use that against UT.

I will still proudly do that horns down gesture.
Was pretty funny - during the baseball super regional with UT v (slaughtering) South Florida, after huge plays, UT would “horns down” the USF guys.

If Sark ends up being a candidate for Bama's job in the next 5 years or so, that means he's gotten Texas back to being a top 5 program. At that point, why make the move?
He could spend more time doing football things instead of donor things. Listen to some of the interviews Mack Brown has given about how he had to spend his time at UT.

At the baseball tourney, that didn’t seem to be an issue at all. Before the game, the whole team was outside the dugout chanting some sing with the fans, but not Eyes of Texas, and the whole stadium was flowing along. The fans were all in the game. Other than humorously giving the ASU players all kinds of **** (“Hey, 27! Put your glove back in and get your head in the game. Your team can’t afford mental lapses right now!!!”), they would often break into “OKLAHOMA!” “SUCKS!”

I don’t think divisions are necessary. You only need them for scheduling simplicity.
I agree. Honestly I’d rather no out of conference games with 12 team conferences. Play every team in the conference Once. Just my preference.

Back