What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Championship games could be fun!

I am not sure I like this either?

What if CU and Oregon win their division, don't play each other, and tie? Then whoever win a tie-breaker gets a HUGE advantage.....

I think the bigger concern is going to be if we have something like what happened in the Big 12 in 2007. Missouri ended up winning the North with a conference record of 7-1 and OU ended up winning the South at 6-2. However, Missouri's only B12 loss was to...Oklahoma. Thus, under the P12 model, Missouri would have received a home game for the CCG even though OU had previously beaten them.

I'm much less troubled by your scenario because I think it will be a rare situation where one team can legitimately say the tie breakers are unfair.

If there was a tie like described above they would probably just give it to who ever had the highest ranking at the time or best overall record.

I think the Pac-12 will play the CCG at campus sites for at least 4-5 years, giving the league time to grow and adjust to the concept. During that time, I think Mr. Scott will be investigating whether to continue on campus, or see if he can get a better (read $$$) deal at a neutral location. I'm all but certain that he will do what is in the best interests of all 12 schools.

The Rose Bowl should be reserved for UCLA's home games and The Rose Bowl only.
Having a 12 Pac Championship Game there to me dilutes the tradition of the Rose Bowl and
won't make it as special of a venue as it is.

Quick: Name the original four major bowls and the stadiums they played in.

Now tell me about the stadiums they are played in now.

Quick: Name the original four major bowls and the stadiums they played in.

Now tell me about the stadiums they are played in now.

Rose - then Rose - now Rose
Sugar- then Tulane - now Super Dome
Cotton- then Cotton - now Jerry World
Orange- then Orange- now Sun Life Stadium

I'm sure you are trying to make a point here...

Can you imagine a championship game at Folsom in December? That would be simply ridiculous.

The biggest factor in going to an eventual neutral site CCG will be Branding. The Dr. Pepper Big XII championship game that is guaranteed to be played in front of 70,000 people with Dr. Pepper plastered all over everything will cause Dr. Pepper to shell out some bucks for the naming rights.

How much will a major advertiser bid on naming rights for the Pac-12 CCG if the live game attendance could vary from 40,000 to 95,000?

The TV ratings will certainly play a major factor in that payout, but the live attendance is a big factor as well, and typically TV ratings follow live attendance as well. Probably not a strong correlation for a CCG, as that would generate more interest than a regular season game of course, but the game day experience needs to be felt by the TV crowd as well.

Getting the smaller stadiums in the Pac-12 up to 60,000 + might help keep the CCG as a top-seed host game. But as soon as San Francisco or Los Angeles builds a new NFL stadium, they might be too tempted to move the game there.

The biggest factor in going to an eventual neutral site CCG will be Branding. The Dr. Pepper Big XII championship game that is guaranteed to be played in front of 70,000 people with Dr. Pepper plastered all over everything will cause Dr. Pepper to shell out some bucks for the naming rights.

How much will a major advertiser bid on naming rights for the Pac-12 CCG if the live game attendance could vary from 40,000 to 95,000?

The TV ratings will certainly play a major factor in that payout, but the live attendance is a big factor as well, and typically TV ratings follow live attendance as well. Probably not a strong correlation for a CCG, as that would generate more interest than a regular season game of course, but the game day experience needs to be felt by the TV crowd as well.

Getting the smaller stadiums in the Pac-12 up to 60,000 + might help keep the CCG as a top-seed host game. But as soon as San Francisco or Los Angeles builds a new NFL stadium, they might be too tempted to move the game there.

I highly doubt the sponsor gives two ****s about whether it's played in front of 50K or 70K. It's all about how many TVs are watching the game and watching the sponsor's commercials.

I love the fact that the CCG will be played at the homefield of the higher-seeded team, it will make for a true college atmosphere instead of the game being played at some sterile NFL stadium that's only about two-thirds full. Especially for a conference as geographically widespread as the Pac is with fanbases that traditionally don't travel that well. With this decision the game will almost certainly be a sellout.

A neutral-site game works great for the SEC and may for the Big 10 also, but it's been a complete disaster for the ACC, although they didn't do themselves any favors by holding the game in Florida the first 5 years of its existence.

And the Fiesta moved from Sun Devil Stadium to U of Phoenix Stadium, though its a newer bowl in the grand scheme.

Rose - then Rose - now Rose
Sugar- then Tulane - now Super Dome
Cotton- then Cotton - now Jerry World
Orange- then Orange- now Sun Life Stadium

I'm sure you are trying to make a point here...

Normally the conference would prefer that their heavies (Texas, Ohio St) make the CCG's, to maximize interest and revenue. But in the 12-Pac's case, USC is the powerhouse, but has an apathetic fanbase, especially if they make the CCG frequently. I could see Utah or OSU bring more fans simply because its novel to those programs.

Back