What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chev: "I have to do better"

And yet with all that crap it was cleary his best all year. Never said it was good. He had some good calls, overall it was still pretty bad yet still his best. Y'all mother****ers need to learn to read, never said it was good, just his best so far

We're now to the point where we're debating which game the playcalling sucked the least in? Good grief. Let's call Darrin Chiaverini what he is-a solid position coach/recruiter, but nothing else. Let's go back to the search that got him promoted-Wac Mac loses an OC, doesn't bother to look outside the program for his replacement (wasn't Chiaverini promoted like a week after Lindgren left?), and then promoted a god-awful offensive line coach (he must have been freaked out about losing Adams' incompetent *** to Washington again after last year) to co-Coordinator.

Ripping on the OC due to the OL play die to three freshmen linemen getting starts due to injuries? We left like 18 points on the field due to turnovers and having to kick a FG.

I think our ire needs to be aimed more at the defense's problems.

Playcalling is not that easy to do, and getting on the job experience is not exactly the best thing for a P5 program to have or do. It seems like it is much better to have a guy like Chiv go down a level or two and be the Head Coach and OC and get all the nuances figured out with leadership and playcalling. I am personally disappointed in his play calling this year because I imagined more Texas Tech concepts, and I have a feeling as I have mentioned before that MM and Adams have their hands in on the game planning and playcalling, and thus Chiv is not calling a clean game the way he wants to. Funny thing is that Chiv might be a better Head Coach than OC or Playcaller?

Offense scoured enough points to win

Yep and they left 11 points off the board in the first quarter and pushed away last 2 drives in the 4th quarter near red zone.

But our secondary and having gamboa on the field especially on 3rd down lost this game.

Why would taylor not be a spy on Tate or Lewis or anyone else not playing like they're wearing flip flops?

Playcalling is not that easy to do, and getting on the job experience is not exactly the best thing for a P5 program to have or do. It seems like it is much better to have a guy like Chiv go down a level or two and be the Head Coach and OC and get all the nuances figured out with leadership and playcalling. I am personally disappointed in his play calling this year because I imagined more Texas Tech concepts, and I have a feeling as I have mentioned before that MM and Adams have their hands in on the game planning and playcalling, and thus Chiv is not calling a clean game the way he wants to. Funny thing is that Chiv might be a better Head Coach than OC or Playcaller?
Didn't Chev call plays when he was Co-OC at those 2 JUCO stops?

Offense scoured enough points to win

I thought the kids played pretty damn well. I like the look/play of J Jackson dropped one or two, he's also a fr who made at least 2 huge plays and probably 10 more you didn't see because tv. They make mistakes. PROFESSIONAL players make mistakes.

Our players are good enough.
Recruiting is definitely a factor but.... Current state of cfb, there are 40 programs who get the top talent we are currently at the end but we always have been. 1 of 24 teams to win ncaa champ

Cu football and its current place in cfb recruiting gets the players who can be really solid but have weaknesses. And saying that is an insult to most of our players. Tell montez he isn't a good qb, he'll shove it down your throat. Those throws viska was catching left the hand of mr montez and most of them landed on a dime. He's a pocket passer who can at minimum get you out of bad situations against good teams with his legs. Against most teams he can really hurt when used properly in the run game. That is when used properly. He's not a spread QB never will be. Travon is downhill one cut, and a damn good back.

That's why the pistol was invented. We won the first five because our Jimmy's were better than their Joe's plain and simple. We're running a system that holds them back a bit. Don't get me wrong this offense should run air raid but I don't trust an offense that doesn't play any under center.

This offense hasn't been managed to let good players make plays let alone garbage players, what most you all say.

I thought the kids played pretty damn well. I like the look/play of J Jackson dropped one or two, he's also a fr who made at least 2 huge plays and probably 10 more you didn't see because tv. They make mistakes. PROFESSIONAL players make mistakes.

Our players are good enough.
Recruiting is definitely a factor but.... Current state of cfb, there are 40 programs who get the top talent we are currently at the end but we always have been. 1 of 24 teams to win ncaa champ

Cu football and its current place in cfb recruiting gets the players who can be really solid but have weaknesses. And saying that is an insult to most of our players. Tell montez he isn't a good qb, he'll shove it down your throat. Those throws viska was catching left the hand of mr montez and most of them landed on a dime. He's a pocket passer who can at minimum get you out of bad situations against good teams with his legs. Against most teams he can really hurt when used properly in the run game. That is when used properly. He's not a spread QB never will be. Travon is downhill one cut, and a damn good back.

That's why the pistol was invented. We won the first five because our Jimmy's were better than their Joe's plain and simple. We're running a system that holds them back a bit. Don't get me wrong this offense should run air raid but I don't trust an offense that doesn't play any under center.

This offense hasn't been managed to let good players make plays let alone garbage players, what most you all say.
We have not always been outside the top 40 in recruiting. We were recruiting in the 15-35 range in the 2000s.

And there are only 65 teams in the P5. If you're not in that 15-35 range, your roster is bottom half. That is not acceptable.

Can we stop giving alums who come back to coach free passes because they're alums? Chev is involved in this too.

Didn't Chev call plays when he was Co-OC at those 2 JUCO stops?

I have not found that to be totally true in everything I have read?

I also would like to see him come down to the sidelines and call the plays from there. His positive and motivating sideline demeanor would be really helpful. And it is time for a changeup.

Can we stop giving alums who come back to coach free passes because they're alums? Chev is involved in this too.

I would be fine with the idea of firing Mac now, and letting Chiv be the Interim HC to see how he handles it. Roper could step in and call plays the rest of the year.

If Chiv shows that he has the HC skills to motivate and recruit, then I would be happy with that. As much as I want Mac gone, and some kind of fresh head coach, I fear that a complete change of staff would disrupt a lot of what has been going on with the stead improvement in recruiting and other things.

Fire Mac, Adams, and Bernardi

Promote Chiv to Interim HC. Roper to OC, Jack Harris can coach OL and TE's can be coached by Peter Tuitupou. If USC can make moves, then so can we to see where we are at!

I would be fine with the idea of firing Mac now, and letting Chiv be the Interim HC to see how he handles it. Roper could step in and call plays the rest of the year.

If Chiv shows that he has the HC skills to motivate and recruit, then I would be happy with that. As much as I want Mac gone, and some kind of fresh head coach, I fear that a complete change of staff would disrupt a lot of what has been going on with the stead improvement in recruiting and other things.

Fire Mac, Adams, and Bernardi

Promote Chiv to Interim HC. Roper to OC, Jack Harris can coach OL and TE's can be coached by Peter Tuitupou. If USC can make moves, then so can we to see where we are at!

I expect this team to be playing in bowl games yearly with the occasional season like 2016 was. MM gets a pass his first three years because of the talent deficit we faced when he got here, but we've followed that up with 5-7 last year and what looks like 5-7 this year. I don't believe Chev's ceiling is any higher than recruiting coordinator/position coach. Get this staff out of here-I'm fine with Chev staying if he's willing to step back into the role he had the first two years he was here. I don't have much of an opinion on the rest of these guys-maybe keep Hagan given the production we got from Taz in '16 and '17 and now McMillian this year (is 163 yards short of 1000 for the year with three games left).

With three games left and the new redshirt rule. Clear the bench. Let's see what we got next season. Let's get someone out there besides Evan's. He does nothing. Get more reps on the receivers. OL,DL,LB, DB we are already playing youh so just keep rotating.

7FE8F897-5CE1-432A-BE77-D0C1F5AD09F1.jpeg Best idea for us to win a game and become bowl eligible:

Go full TT. Abandon running game. Put 5 wide. Sling it all over the field. Let Montez be Montez. Hard short slants and hitches, seam patterns, and big scrammble drills. Montez runs when everything else breaks down!

WSU would have no game tape, their defensive game plan would go out the window.

Crowd would go insane. I am insane!

We can’t run or block. But we have a bevy of really good receivers and a QB who is mobile, has a gun, and loves to scrammble.

It. Could. Work.

Last edited:
Best idea for us to win a game and become bowl eligible:

Go full TT. Abandon running game. Put 5 wide. Sling it all over the field. Let Montez be Montez. Hard short slants and hitches, seam patterns, and big scrammble drills. Montez runs when everything else breaks down!

WSU would have no game tape, their defensive game plan would go out the window.

Crowd would go insane. I would go insane.

We can’t run or block. But we have a bevy of reallt good receivers and a QB who is mobile, has a gun, and loves to scrammble.
Our gameplan against UA was similar to this. We abandoned the run immediately outside of a few instances.

Initially, I thought it made sense. We've been able to pass block in spots lately, but couldn't get a push in the run game. Then I saw our pass blacking deteriorate from bad to horrific. Just straight whiffs. We can't do anything consistently on any level. Ignoring the run is going to get Montez killed.

Our gameplan against UA was similar to this. We abandoned the run immediately outside of a few instances.

Initially, I thought it made sense. We've been able to pass block in spots lately, but couldn't get a push in the run game. Then I saw our pass blacking deteriorate from bad to horrific. Just straight whiffs. We can't do anything consistently on any level. Ignoring the run is going to get Montez killed.
Yeah he doesn't have time to throw on every down, the pocket's gonna collapse on him left and right, and we'll be unsuccessful in the pass game, then we'll very predictably try to reverse strategy and "establish the run" which they'll shut down. It's a game plan fit for a shut out.

And our current game plan? Which game does it win?

Risk it all. Balls to the wall. Nothing left to lose.

Hey don't knock our current game plan - it almost beat the worst team in the Pac-12.

I guess you're right, especially if we get Viska, JMac, and Nixon back. That's a dang strong receiver corps. And if Chiv doesn't mind going from telling Travon to getting stuffed up the middle, stuffed up the middle, STUFFED UP THE MIDDLE to hey, follow a block on the outside, that could work. But I don't know, I'm jaded and hopeless.

Gawain for OC vs. WSU, I'm on board.

We had a game plan against Arizona?

Back