What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chris Fowler on Colorado Football

TampaBuff

First Thread I've started on here but I wanted to share. Sorry if I am breaking any rules, I tried reading some threads to see if this was already posted and I didn't see it anywhere.

Fast Forward to the 5:14 mark to hear Chris talk about how he feels about us right now.

First Thread I've started on here but I wanted to share. Sorry if I am breaking any rules, I tried reading some threads to see if this was already posted and I didn't see it anywhere.

Fast Forward to the 5:14 mark to hear Chris talk about how he feels about us right now.

The video did not show up.

Two takeaways:
1) He no longer thinks MT is the man
2) I don't think this program has ever been this irrelevant in CFB.

Love both CF and Herbstreit-I watched a quarter plus of that SMU-Memphis game for no other reason than to listen to those two. I'm not sure "he no longer thinks Mel Tucker is the man" is accurate. He definitely expected more, and he's right to expect more. Fowler's comments on CU have to get the attention of RG though.

Last edited:
Not sure how people can say we've never been this irrelevant. You all must have short memories. We were getting absolutely rocked on a weekly basis and losing to teams like Sacramento State in 2012, for ****s sake. We were lower than this for 5-7 years, at least. This team sucks, and this year has been so disappointing, but we do have two victories against ranked teams and a player that people see as a national star. It's beside the point that those victories are against teams that haven't turned out to be great (awful in the nubs case) and viska has been a non factor for 90 percent of the season; they are still the types of things that generate excitement around a program, and it's a type of excitement that was completely absent from 2009-2015.

In short, yes, we ****ing suck,but you're crazy if you think that things have never been worse than this.You all need to chill the **** out and give Mel a bit of time. Unless we get significantly worse next year, anything short of three years for him is completely unreasonable.

Not sure how people can say we've never been this irrelevant. You all must have short memories. We were getting absolutely rocked on a weekly basis and losing to teams like Sacramento State in 2012, for ****s sake. We were lower than this for 5-7 years, at least. This team sucks, and this year has been so disappointing, but we do have two victories against ranked teams and a player that people see as a national star. It's beside the point that those victories are against teams that haven't turned out to be great (awful in the nubs case) and viska has been a non factor for 90 percent of the season; they are still the types of things that generate excitement around a program, and it's a type of excitement that was completely absent from 2009-2015.

In short, yes, we ****ing suck,but you're crazy if you think that things have never been worse than this.You all need to chill the **** out and give Mel a bit of time. Unless we get significantly worse next year, anything short of three years for him is completely unreasonable.

I don't think asking for Summers to be a one and done coordinator is too much........do you?

Two takeaways:
1) He no longer thinks MT is the man
2) I don't think this program has ever been this irrelevant in CFB.
#1, he didn't say that at all. He said he knows MT can coach defense and they're not playing any defense. Of course MT is responsible for his defensive staff, but Fowler didn't go past calling out the defense.

I haven't listened to this yet but my guess is Fowler meant we're irrelevant nationally, which you really can't deny considering this is a program that was extremely relevant on the national scene for about a 15-year span.

I'm not either, but I'm not going to make excuses for this staff like saying the schedule's too hard, there's not enough talent, or whatever.
What were you thinking about Neinas in year 4, or Jeffcoat and the rest of the castoffs in 5? This board was all about protecting Mike until the end of last season. This is Mike's mess. His **** recruiting finally caught up to him the last half of last season. We have the depth of a high school 6 man team from the eastern plains. At least we now emphasize recruiting. Not sure it will be successful, but its sure nice to at least have a coach that acknowledges the importance. I've seen much bitching about the scheme, but nobody seems to have an alternative, or at least they are keeping it to themselves. Im not sure what the coaching manual says about what to do if you have no pass rushers, one linebacker, and receivers converted into DBs. Stenstrom isn't the answer, or he would be playing. You would think Mike would have realized that he needed a replacement for Montez when he admitted in an interview after the Oregon game that Mike had to explain to him what it means to stay in the pocket. You cant have an effective offense with a QB that doesn't understand the passing game in todays game. Give Mel a chance before acting like a bunch of spoiled bitches, especially when you let losers like MacIntire, and Hawkins linger as long as they did with little pushback.

I haven't listened to this yet but my guess is Fowler meant we're irrelevant nationally, which you really can't deny considering this is a program that was extremely relevant on the national scene for about a 15-year span.
This is what he was saying.

We haven't given anyone outside of our own fan base any reason to care for close to two decades. We haven't won big games, we haven't knocked off contenders and cost teams their seasons.

Also at to Tucker, he said nothing that implies he doesn't believe in him. What he did say is that he knows Tucker as a high level defensive coach. His expectations are that even with the lack of talent a team coached by Tucker be more disciplined and better prepared.

He also mentioned that the offense should be able to score, referencing their failure to do so.

What were you thinking about Neinas in year 4, or Jeffcoat and the rest of the castoffs in 5? This board was all about protecting Mike until the end of last season. This is Mike's mess. His **** recruiting finally caught up to him the last half of last season. We have the depth of a high school 6 man team from the eastern plains. At least we now emphasize recruiting. Not sure it will be successful, but its sure nice to at least have a coach that acknowledges the importance. I've seen much bitching about the scheme, but nobody seems to have an alternative, or at least they are keeping it to themselves. Im not sure what the coaching manual says about what to do if you have no pass rushers, one linebacker, and receivers converted into DBs. Stenstrom isn't the answer, or he would be playing. You would think Mike would have realized that he needed a replacement for Montez when he admitted in an interview after the Oregon game that Mike had to explain to him what it means to stay in the pocket. You cant have an effective offense with a QB that doesn't understand the passing game in todays game. Give Mel a chance before acting like a bunch of spoiled bitches, especially when you let losers like MacIntire, and Hawkins linger as long as they did with little pushback.

I wanted MM gone after 2017. I heard all about how great a defensive coach Mel is all winter.....and we're 124th in total D. That one linebacker you referenced has been grossly misused. No depth only covers so much as an excuse.

I'm not either, but I'm not going to make excuses for this staff like saying the schedule's too hard, there's not enough talent, or whatever.

That's not really what I'm doing. I think it's pretty clear that this team had the potential to be a bowl team, and there's no good excuse why they aren't. After the Nebraska game, I thought somewhere between 6-8 wins was a reasonable expectation with our schedule. This hasn't happened, and the team has looked godawful at times. I'm not going to point fingers; obviously the coaches carry a significant amount of responsibility for this. But I do think they also deserve some patience, as the majority of them had nothing to do with the program before this season. I want to see how players develop between seasons, and I want to see how the offense performs with a fresh face at qb. I want to see what sorts of adjustments and changes Mel makes to his staff and to his coaching philosophy. I'm choosing to hope that he's not the stubborn type that chooses to do the same thing over and over. Part of me really hopes that we see something new attempted during these last few weeks of the season; a change at QB would be the first thing to come to mind. Anyway, I'm not some kind of sunshine pumper by any means; I don't think that coaches should be exempt from criticism in the slightest, they get paid millions of dollars to win games and they should feel some amount of failure when they don't have winning seasons, but I do think people are overreacting in general. This situation is just not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Truthfully, I would probably give Tucker somewhere around a D+ if I were grading this season, acknowledging that my vantage point isn't quite clear-sighted enough for my opinion to really even approximate the actual status of things... that being said, I don't think we have a large enough sample size of his performance as CU head coach to say much of anything meaningful. If we end up at the end of next season and see a progression that looks like the frosty nubs, then yeah, I probably will be hyper critical of Tucker and his entire staff. We can't do much more than wait and see, and I would find any hyper negativity to be ill founded. Conversely, if he came in and had a fantastic first season, I'd be saying the same thing about any hyper positivity... one year is just not enough to tell much of anything, imo. My main point is that things have been much worse, and I don't think it's been so bad that we can't still feel some excitement about next year.

Fair enough, but I was responding more directly to the multiple people in this thread who have claimed that we've never been more irrelevant. I suppose it is true that we don't really carry relevance outside our fanbase right now, but at least we have reasons for a fanbase to care still. We really didn't as we were transitioning through the end of the hawk era, to the embree era, to the beginning of the MacIntyre era. I was a student at CU for a big chunk of that time, and the apathy surrounding the program was outrageous. The football team was a joke; CU staff would crack jokes about how bad the football team was as part of freshmen orientation. We're getting dangerously close to that territory again, but I think that there have been enough exciting things for our fanbase that we're not as close to bottoming out as some here are suggesting.

Disagree with Chris

Defense hasn't been good but we didn't expect it to be good as we have little talent and have been decimated by injuries.

Our offense was supposed to be top flight with a 5th year QB and one of the best WR corps in the nation.

He was right to criticize Tucker for the punts against USC. That was loser football.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

MacIntyre was raked over the coals for Neinas, Jeffcoat, and Bernardi on this board. It was an annual topic of why they were allowed to stay. Stop making **** up.

The more I see and think about this thread, I think what a waste of opportunity. Chris is a local product born in Denver, graduated HS in Colorado Springs then graduated from The University of Colorado. He rubs elbows with all the College Football elite and has had an entire career around College Football almost as long as I remember. Constant access to the best game analysis and color analyst in the business. He is on TV all the time. To bad CU could not use all this exposure to be "more noticed".
We need to get good again before he moves on in his career or it becomes completely irrelevant. Just seems like a waste of some good marketing.

The more I see and think about this thread, I think what a waste of opportunity. Chris is a local product born in Denver, graduated HS in Colorado Springs then graduated from The University of Colorado. He rubs elbows with all the College Football elite and has had an entire career around College Football almost as long as I remember. Constant access to the best game analysis and color analyst in the business. He is on TV all the time. To bad CU could not use all this exposure to be "more noticed".
We need to get good again before he moves on in his career or it becomes completely irrelevant. Just seems like a waste of some good marketing.

I look at Fowler on TV and I'm think he and Herbstreit are the same age.....dude's 57. He's going to be at this for a while, though. We still have Klatt, too-he's going to be at this for years.

I look at Fowler on TV and I'm think he and Herbstreit are the same age.....dude's 57. He's going to be at this for a while, though. We still have Klatt, too-he's going to be at this for years.
They will both be big assets once we become nationally relevant again. Klatt will be more so than Fowler as he is a journalist by trade and learned how to keep personal bias from entering the conversation, whereas Klatt is a color analyst and uses his experience as a player as part of his analysis. Once we reenter the national picture Fowler will talk about the Buffs, just don't expect him to gush all over us, he will keep it honest.

Wouldn't we take Klatt's comments about CU with more weight than Fowler's comments since Klatt not only played QB for the Buffs but had some winning teams?

Fowler's comments are meh but if Klatt was to say the same thing, I'd be upset.

Wouldn't we take Klatt's comments about CU with more weight than Fowler's comments since Klatt not only played QB for the Buffs but had some winning teams?

Fowler's comments are meh but if Klatt was to say the same thing, I'd be upset.

It could be worse. He could have dropped a Herbie-bomb on us lol. I don't have a problem with what he said-he's very passionate about his alma mater and this team.

Anyone who doesn’t recognize the impact of injuries on this defense needs to be checked out. And in no way are we less relevant than 2012.

We’re basically running with Espinoza island because all the ****ing cornerbacks and safeties are hurt. We almost beat USC with a patchwork secondary. No, we didn’t compete at all against Oregon or Wazzu, or UCLA.

We were one fumble recovery away from winning against SC, one extra point away from beating AF, and one stop away from beating Arizona.

This team could have gone bowling despite the injuries. It almost certainly would have had they been spread out across position groups, but injuries decimated our secondary. They knocked our best offensive threat out for basically the year, let’s face it, Viska is a decoy more often than not at the moment.

We knew the margin for success was razor thin this year and we’ve ended up on the wrong side of that edge unfortunately.

Hopefully this incoming class will bolster the roster with immediate help where we need it most.

Back