What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Clayton to wear Wizzer White‘s #24, Salaam‘s number retired for 19 years

Guess the players Mel Tucker are bringing in are good enough to wear those numbers.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Tucker/ George are bringing these numbers back into circulation perfectly. It's thoughtful and rewards the past players that earned the accolade. It embraces tradition and moves the program forward. Remember when the bricks got painted over?

Sandwiches in 5 downstairs...

I'm ok with retiring numbers for a limited time period, say 10-20 years. It can get ridiculous. I checked and found that the Chicago Bears have retired 13 numbers. Some of those have been out of circulation for almost a century. That seems crazy.

There was a good point made that this change likely means those retired greats will be discussed more. It will be a talking point in games and the patches will show up in pictures and videos. Pretty cool I think.

I like the Salaam 19 is retired for 19 seasons (at least). It creates a great conversation starter about him as a player and the mental health issues he dealt with.

If the families (in Whizzer's case) and players themselves (in the case of Bobby Anderson and Joe Romig) are good with this, so am I.

No issues with this at all-and Mel and Rick have handled this the right way. This can send the perfect signal to recruits too-We're allowing you to wear these numbers because we think you've got the talent to be worthy of the honor of doing so.

If they do patches like that, I hope they sell just the patch - I don't need 3 jerseys, but i'd certainly buy the patches

I'm ok with retiring numbers for a limited time period, say 10-20 years. It can get ridiculous. I checked and found that the Chicago Bears have retired 13 numbers. Some of those have been out of circulation for almost a century. That seems crazy.

Ultimately, with the roster sizes you have in football, i think you need to be careful with the whole number retirement thing.

I am in the camp - that does not believe in retiring #'s.

If they didn't retire Dale Earnhardt's 3 in Nascar then no # should be retired in any sport.

PS - This was handled great by the Administration and I like the move of un-retiring these #'s.

I am in the camp - that does not believe in retiring #'s.

If they didn't retire Dale Earnhardt's 3 in Nascar then no # should be retired in any sport.

PS - This was handled great by the Administration and I like the move of un-retiring these #'s.
That is like saying if they didn't retire the cue stick after Efren Manalang Reyes stopped playing, then they shouldn't ever retire anything.

Wonder when this discussion was had and decision made. And how much it played a role for Clayton in choosing CU. Not suggesting at all it was a make or break thing, but it does show a real belief in the kid.

Wonder when this discussion was had and decision made. And how much it played a role for Clayton in choosing CU. Not suggesting at all it was a make or break thing, but it does show a real belief in the kid.
It’s a testimony to our coaches voracious recruiting efforts

Back