What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Calipari to UCLA?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member

There is a great deal of buzz in the college basketball world about Kentucky head coach John Calipari possibly being the next UCLA coach.

According to various sources, the Hall of Fame coach is showing what some have described as "serious interest" in coming to Westwood.

This would be good for the Pac-12 basketball. It'll fun to see CU knock off highly rated UCLA at The Keg in front of a sold out crowd.

He must be bored since UK is arguably a better program than UCLA (over the last decade or so at least).

He must be bored since UK is arguably a better program than UCLA (over the last decade or so at least).
Or he is looking for a more cultural existence, along with an easier road to a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament?

There is a great deal of buzz in the college basketball world about Kentucky head coach John Calipari possibly being the next UCLA coach.

According to various sources, the Hall of Fame coach is showing what some have described as "serious interest" in coming to Westwood.

Another strong anti-like. A top 3 college basketball coach and recruiter in Westwood? That’s not great for Colorado.

This doesn't pass the smell test. Why would he leave Kentucky to go to a fanbase that will never be happy? You can't say money because I guaran-damn-tee UK will match whatever UCLA offers. As for "cultural experience" or whatever, he's a coach. He's not getting much of a cultural experience and you can import a lot of culture to Kentucky for the $8 mil a year he's currently making. ****, you might be able to buy the entire state.

This doesn't pass the smell test. Why would he leave Kentucky to go to a fanbase that will never be happy? You can't say money because I guaran-damn-tee UK will match whatever UCLA offers. As for "cultural experience" or whatever, he's a coach. He's not getting much of a cultural experience and you can import a lot of culture to Kentucky for the $8 mil a year he's currently making. ****, you might be able to buy the entire state.
Maybe it would be like a LBJ to the Lakers sort of thing. If Cal likes LA and is looking at the lifestyle along with the insane opportunities he'd have in that market as the toast of the town, it could have appeal. Also, he may be someone who needs to recharge every so often with a new place.

I said Pitino, but Calipari works, too. Exactly the kind of guy UCLA thinks it needs.

Maybe it would be like a LBJ to the Lakers sort of thing. If Cal likes LA and is looking at the lifestyle along with the insane opportunities he'd have in that market as the toast of the town, it could have appeal. Also, he may be someone who needs to recharge every so often with a new place.

Possibly, but man... I would seriously question his sanity if he did that one. Kentucky's fans are insane but supportive. UCLA's are just insane.

Maybe besides the hookers, blow, and money, he wants warm weather. Could also be, he wants to hear Bill Walton say, "that was the best pass in the history of western civilization." Or, " make a shot" or, "throw it down, big man." :D

Honestly, I hope the rumors are true and he goes there. Would provide an immediate shot in the arm to the conference and would make all the teams in the conference better. Yeah, UCLA would be a handful, but so what? If you want to be the man, you got to beat the man.

I have been to Lexington, KY two dozen times for a week each time over the last 25 years. I lived within a 10 minute drive to the UCLA campus for several years. There’s no competition.

Cal has made tens of millions as a coach. Living in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, the Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Brentwood, the Pacific Palisades, or even Manhattan Beach or Rendondo Beach knocks the blocks off anywhere near Lexington. Lexington is one of the nicest cities in Kentucky. That doesn’t say much.

Personally, I see this as ploy of his agent to get more money out of UK. But, if he really wants to elevate his quality of life, moving to the nicest part of Los Angeles and getting a Brinks Truck worth of money in the process is a great recipe.

I have been to Lexington, KY two dozen times for a week each time over the last 25 years. I lived within a 10 minute drive to the UCLA campus for several years. There’s no competition.

Cal has made tens of millions as a coach. Living in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, the Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Brentwood, the Pacific Palisades, or even Manhattan Beach or Rendondo Beach knocks the blocks off anywhere near Lexington. Lexington is one of the nicest cities in Kentucky. That doesn’t say much.

Personally, I see this as ploy of his agent to get more money out of UK. But, if he really wants to elevate his quality of life, moving to the nicest part of Los Angeles and getting a Brinks Truck worth of money in the process is a great recipe.

LA over Kentucky is a no brainer. No one is arguing that. My point is that he’s a coach so he has no life. He won’t get to appreciate LA as much as you think - especially when UCLA boosters are putting for sale signs in his front lawn after his hiring press conference because he didn’t put his socks on the right way.

LA over Kentucky is a no brainer. No one is arguing that. My point is that he’s a coach so he has no life. He won’t get to appreciate LA as much as you think - especially when UCLA boosters are putting for sale signs in his front lawn after his hiring press conference because he didn’t put his socks on the right way.

Given how much UCLA’s boosters will have to pay Cal to actually go there, he’ll likely hire them to put on his socks!

I don’t know how much of life as a college basketball coach is “no life”. There’s a pretty well defined calendar for all activities. In the times I’ve been to Lexington over the last 8-9 years, I’ve seen Cal at least four times out on the town at dinner. He’ll enjoy himself in LA for sure.

Cal may not have a life, but you forget he’s married. Wife wants la.

Given how much UCLA’s boosters will have to pay Cal to actually go there, he’ll likely hire them to put on his socks!

I don’t know how much of life as a college basketball coach is “no life”. There’s a pretty well defined calendar for all activities. In the times I’ve been to Lexington over the last 8-9 years, I’ve seen Cal at least four times out on the town at dinner. He’ll enjoy himself in LA for sure.

Applebee's?

This will get the Bruin faithful (are there any left?) wound up, and then no matter who is actually hired, they will be disappointed

I’d also like to remind everyone that every time UCLA does this we hear a ****ton of rumors involving the biggest names out there and every time they make an underwhelming hire.

Mainly because they wont pay dick for coaches. I very much doubt they are willing to pay enough to get a guy like calipari.

Back