What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Calipari to UCLA?

I am really, really surprised at how many people on here and on the twittersphere are bashing the UCLA job. The worst part of the job is that the boosters have high expectations? That comes with any of the top jobs in the country. UCLA's fanbase doesn't put nearly the amount of pressure that other blue blood programs do. So basically you are signing up for a job where you can recruit with the best programs in the country without leaving LA, playing in a conference where you are clearly the top program and should have a relatively easy path to the conference championship and a top 3 seed in the tournament consistently, bringing back a storied program from a bad stretch, living in one of the better spots in the US and having to deal with a smaller fanbase than a lot of ACC, SEC and Big-10 programs? If UCLA offers a competitive salary that is a pretty good situation to step into.

Luke Walton at UCLA may be great, may be disastrous.

I think anyone who says they know for sure is full of it.

Walton reportedly hated coaching college ball. Considering the dysfunction that is around the Lakers since Magic took over, I think he’ll get another shot in the NBA - if not as a head coach immediately as a top assistant on a top level staff that’s known for sending guys to head jobs (SA?).

As for the UCLA fan base - it’s not so much high expectations, it’s unrealistic ones. It’s like the people who think that CU should be a S16 team every year with their current level of funding from the AD. UCLA fans want winners but they won’t do what they need to help support them. ****, they were ready to fire Howland when he got his teams to back to back F4s because he didn’t win the whole thing. Once again, Kentucky fans are bat**** insane but they do whatever they can (to an unhealthy level) to support that team.

Walton reportedly hated coaching college ball. Considering the dysfunction that is around the Lakers since Magic took over, I think he’ll get another shot in the NBA - if not as a head coach immediately as a top assistant on a top level staff that’s known for sending guys to head jobs (SA?).

As for the UCLA fan base - it’s not so much high expectations, it’s unrealistic ones. It’s like the people who think that CU should be a S16 team every year with their current level of funding from the AD. UCLA fans want winners but they won’t do what they need to help support them. ****, they were ready to fire Howland when he got his teams to back to back F4s because he didn’t win the whole thing. Once again, Kentucky fans are bat**** insane but they do whatever they can (to an unhealthy level) to support that team.
Yep. Bottom line is that UCLA probably won't pay a coach more than $3M. They probably need to be willing to go to $4M to get where fans expect them to be -- and then raise that if they start getting the success they should.
https://www.si.com/college-basketba...coaches-salaries-mike-krzyewski-john-calipari

It’s like the people who think that CU should be a S16 team every year with their current level of funding from the AD.

This is some straw man nonsense. Can you direct me to any sources where there are multiple Buffs who are saying CU should be in the Sweet 16 every year? I feel my expectations are higher than most here, and my expectation is one Sweet 16 per decade. There’s more than enough funding and fan support for that to happen.

Literally every other P12 program has, by far, a more recent S16 trip than CU. It’s incredible to me how many excuses and straw man arguments are presented here to absolve that fact.

This is some straw man nonsense. Can you direct me to any sources where there are multiple Buffs who are saying CU should be in the Sweet 16 every year? I feel my expectations are higher than most here, and my expectation is one Sweet 16 per decade. There’s more than enough funding and fan support for that to happen.

Literally every other P12 program has, by far, a more recent S16 trip than CU. It’s incredible to me how many excuses and straw man arguments are presented here to absolve that fact.
Maybe we don't belong in the PAC 12. 1969?????

Why in the world does UCLA not pony up for coaches? If you want to be the elite program you've historically been, you need to pay elite money.

Yep. Bottom line is that UCLA probably won't pay a coach more than $3M. They probably need to be willing to go to $4M to get where fans expect them to be -- and then raise that if they start getting the success they should.
https://www.si.com/college-basketba...coaches-salaries-mike-krzyewski-john-calipari

They are going to need to be higher than that to get anything like what they want. 2019 salaries here: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Bennett is at $4.15M this year.

This is a pretty damning list for the Pac 12. 1 coach (Larry K.) in the top 25 this year. **Southern Cal and Stanford data is missing. The now previous head coach of Vanderbilt Bryce Drew (the lowest paid coach in the SEC) didn't win a game in conference all year and he made more than at least 4 Pac coaches (UW, CU, WSU, and Cal)

Top 25 coaching salaries in total pay by conference
Big Ten: 7
ACC: 5 (4 in top 7)
SEC: 5 (including UK at 1)
Big 12: 5
Big East: 1
Pac 12: 1
AAC: 1

I thought that was a Sweet 16 game, for whatever reason. I remember that game, talking about refs, rewatch that one. We didn't get to the line much, if I recall.
That was a tough one as I beleive we were all expecting to win one more game that year.

Had a lead at halftime against Dean Smith. Couldn’t hold on. Tough draw that year. Probably could have argued that we should have been a 5 or 6 seed, but that’s life.

Don’t forget that we completely dismantled a Bobby Knight coached Indiana team in the first round.

Had a lead at halftime against Dean Smith. Couldn’t hold on. Tough draw that year. Probably could have argued that we should have been a 5 or 6 seed, but that’s life.

Don’t forget that we completely dismantled a Bobby Knight coached Indiana team in the first round.
Back when I had more respect for Knight. Was a great win and a high profile one for CU.

Atrocious officiating in the 2nd half. Martice Moore (our 2nd best player on the team) had 0 fouls entering halftime, fouled out... etc. This also happened to be the game where Dean Smith broke the all time wins record....

Yep, Indiana was a great win. Wasn't like they had Isaiah, guys like that, but were a name. I'd forgot Andrae Patterson was on that team. When brother started coaching, one of his first stops was Abilene Cooper. Wasn't really much of a stop, considering he went to ACU.:D

Atrocious officiating in the 2nd half. Martice Moore (our 2nd best player on the team) had 0 fouls entering halftime, fouled out... etc. This also happened to be the game where Dean Smith broke the all time wins record....
Didn't Moore go to like Ga Tech to start? Could've swore he was in the ACC for a bit.

Won championships.
Graduated players.
Stayed out of NCAA trouble.

Massive respect, nevermind the childish temper.
It was way more than a childish temper. He hit an opposing player, choked one of his own players, assaulted a police officer, claimed women should just sit back and enjoy rape, and many other abuses. He deserves no respect, regardless of what his teams accomplished.

It was way more than a childish temper. He hit an opposing player, choked one of his own players, assaulted a police officer, claimed women should just sit back and enjoy rape, and many other abuses. He deserves no respect, regardless of what his teams accomplished.
He was a low class bully with an out of control ego, anger management issues and attitudes that were beyond antiquated (if they were ever socially acceptable).

But the dude could damn sure coach the game of basketball.

Did any of you guys play for a coach like Knight or kinda similar? Hell, there is only one Knight.

you're mis-characterizing the rape comment, but your point is still valid.

Nevertheless, I absolutely respect what he accomplished as a basketball coach, while recognizing his deficiencies. I have a personal hypothesis that those who are exceptionally gifted in one area tend to be exceptionally deficient in another -- Knight is one more data point in support of my hypothesis.

I didn't mention his coaching tree previously, but it's damn impressive.

Back