What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Hawkins - Right Call in Limiting Access to Practices

That was one time, just for txting. Guys around me were talking on the phone and got nothing. Hate crime IYAM:smile2:

So yeah. You don't go to practice and talk on the phone on the ****ing sidelines. One, it's against the rules. And two, it's ****ing rude.

So yeah. You don't go to practice and talk on the phone on the ****ing sidelines. One, it's against the rules. And two, it's ****ing rude.

Are you talking to me or the guys on the phone? I didn't see any signs outside the outdoor fields...

Hawkins is absolutely right to close his practices to the public. The only thing he owes CU fans is a winning football team.

I staff keep having to ask guys to put away their phones its too much of a hassle.

Look, bottom line is, its their decision to open or close practice and if a few people were causing trouble than practices get closed.

It doesn't make Hawk a technophobe or paranoid or anti-fan, it just means a few people ruined it for the rest. Blame the people who couldn't follow rules, not Hawk, or even more laughably, Bohn.

I staff keep having to ask guys to put away their phones its too much of a hassle.

Look, bottom line is, its their decision to open or close practice and if a few people were causing trouble than practices get closed.

It doesn't make Hawk a technophobe or paranoid or anti-fan, it just means a few people ruined it for the rest. Blame the people who couldn't follow rules, not Hawk, or even more laughably, Bohn.

Why does someone from the coaching staff have to do that?

Aren't there about a hundred different athletic department staffers? Bring Plati up there so he can rule from his ivory tower and smite down all who do not bow to him!

i (gawd help me) agree with slade: the staff is feeling the heat. this is what a staff that knows it is at the end of the rope might do.

i'll be waiting on those promised 10+ wins. i presume he meant in 09 and not cumulatively over a few seasons. :cool:

Why does someone from the coaching staff have to do that?

Aren't there about a hundred different athletic department staffers? Bring Plati up there so he can rule from his ivory tower and smite down all who do not bow to him!

Actually, they have better things to do, such as their actual jobs. The AD doesn't really have the cash for a bunch of guys to babysit a few people who abuse the right to attend spring practice.

i (gawd help me) agree with slade: the staff is feeling the heat. this is what a staff that knows it is at the end of the rope might do.

i'll be waiting on those promised 10+ wins. i presume he meant in 09 and not cumulatively over a few seasons. :cool:

No question they're feeling the heat - and they should feel the heat. This is year #4 and Hawkins hasn't delivered a winning season yet.

I am sure the difference between another losing season and 10-2 is a fairly fine line (yeah right) so not letting people with cell phones (or anybody else, for that matter) into practice is certainly going to make all the difference.

:rolleyes:

The sad thing is -- they didn't have to let anybody into practice from the get-go. And nobody would have bitched if that had been the case. But opening practices and then closing them a week into it and bitching that THE FANS were letting too much information out -- that's as lame as lame gets.

If they were truly planning to have open practices all the way through; then, it seems like the "fan friendly" solution is at least to open practices on, say, Fridays. Do all the secret, mastermind, junk in the trunk, ahead of the curve stuff on the other days. the "realistic" option would just have planned that from the beginning. to make it sound like fans are abusing their invitation to the practices...seems a bit much: that fans aren't a part of Hawkins' "willingness to trust" or however he said it. like we made out with his girlfriend while he was visiting his grandparents.

who does he think the fans are that aren't on the internet? contemporaries of Whizzer White?

Last edited:
If they were truly planning to have open practices all the way through; then, it seems like the "fan friendly" solution is at least to open practices on, say, Fridays. Do all the secret, mastermind, junk in the trunk, ahead of the curve stuff on the other days. the "realistic" option would just have planned that from the beginning. to make it sound like fans are abusing their invitation to the practices...seems a bit much: that fans aren't a part of Hawkins' "willingness to trust" or however he said it. like we made out with his girlfriend while he was visiting his grandparents.

who does he think the fans are that aren't on the internet? contemporaries of Whizzer White?

yeah, they could have done something reasonable, but instead, they decided on the "this is ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU INTRAWEB SCUM!!! you are transmitting secret data thru the series of tubes and transistors that make up the innernets."

maybe i'll just suggest this to the staff and admins: beware the blame game, especially when this regime has now produced just about the worst 3 years stretch across the board in the modern history of CU sports.

anyone wants to see a stark contrast... go visit a usc practice. of course, considering that their second string is better than a lot of first string opponents in their conference, i guess they don't feel like they need to hide anything.

Time to make lemonade.
Some practices have to be closed. We all get that.
Some practices could be invitation only, targeted at specific groups
- Season ticket holders
- Boosters & donors, like anyone contributing virtual seats at the spring game
- At risk youth, cancer kids, boyscouts, youth groups

In order to extend an olive branch to the web community, the AD could make an offer to we interweb sCUM. We can attend spring practice in exchange for divulging your web identity and which sites you frequent, and sign a form that attests to good behavior concerning proper cell phone, video and web posting ettiquite. Maybe Dave Plati could be partnered up with one or two web sCUm during a practice and feed them propaganda...err...some exclusive poop that is fit to "leak". This approach would at least address some accountability for those in attendence.

Embrace the Internet. It is our present and our future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to make lemonade.
- Season ticket holders

In order to extend an olive branch to the web community, the AD could make an offer to we interweb sCUM. We can attend spring practice in exchange for divulging your web identity and which sites you frequent, and sign a form that attests to good behavior concerning proper cell phone, video and web posting ettiquite. Maybe Dave Plati could be partnered up with one or two web sCUm during a practice and feed them propaganda...err...some exclusive poop that is fit to "leak". This approach would at least address some accountability for those in attendence.

Embrace the Internet. It is our present and our future.

That will NEVER happen.

I fully expect to see a Platitudes in the next few weeks, talking about the dangers of the internet and the need for CU to maintain its secrets.

Time to make lemonade.
- Season ticket holders
Hmmm.... That sounds remarkably like the incredible lame practice that we always rip on the fuskers for - charging money for the spring game. No thanks. Either make the practices open or closed. Just make the decision at the beginning of spring. Not midway through.

I think everyone is making a bigger deal out of this than whats needed. I have been to two practices and other than the first when it was a coaches clinic there have been no more than 30 people there. It's not like there has been a waiting line for folks to get in and watch them practice.

Someone above suggested that they only do the secret stuff on Friday's and not have the fans there that day. Why in the world would a coach have to work around 30 fans that show up and watch.

As I said before if everyone would just follow the rules then we wouldn't be in the situation we are in right now. Let the guy coach and do what he needs to do.

I think everyone is making a bigger deal out of this than whats needed. I have been to two practices and other than the first when it was a coaches clinic there have been no more than 30 people there. It's not like there has been a waiting line for folks to get in and watch them practice.

Someone above suggested that they only do the secret stuff on Friday's and not have the fans there that day. Why in the world would a coach have to work around 30 fans that show up and watch.

As I said before if everyone would just follow the rules then we wouldn't be in the situation we are in right now. Let the guy coach and do what he needs to do.

this isn't about the 30 fans who are there in person. it is about the access it gives to the program to those of us who live all over the world via the dangerous INTERWEB. :lol:

this could have been handled better. it isn't the end of the world or anything. but, i do get tired of the ongoing disdain within the CUAD for anything related to fansites. the folks around here are hardcore Buff fans. they are season ticket holders and donors. they deserve to be treated with some respect.

i suggested the opposite....Fridays (or any pre-scheduled day) would be an open practice. every other Friday...and all the mojo stuff they do the other days.

the point is not "having the coach work around 30 fans" and bending hawk's will to the fans....THEY are the ones who had open practices and wanted Spring Ball to be fan friendly. it's not like the fans sneaked in. it's the assessment of the coach that some fans abused the open-ness of practice. two different issues:

1. access
2. the perception of abuse

It seems that the AD's desire to "have fans involved" really means "fans who will be fans in the manner we dictate". I have no problem with the closure of practice. It just seems if anything negative comes out of the AD these days, it is usually a "bad fan" issue, and usually a "bad internet fan" issue. I still think Hawk will get it done, but the natives are getting restless....

Sounds like a coach on the hot seat.

No question they're feeling the heat - and they should feel the heat. This is year #4 and Hawkins hasn't delivered a winning season yet.

I am sure the difference between another losing season and 10-2 is a fairly fine line (yeah right) so not letting people with cell phones (or anybody else, for that matter) into practice is certainly going to make all the difference.

:rolleyes:

The sad thing is -- they didn't have to let anybody into practice from the get-go. And nobody would have bitched if that had been the case. But opening practices and then closing them a week into it and bitching that THE FANS were letting too much information out -- that's as lame as lame gets.

:nod: It does sound like Hawk is feeling the heat. He's handled this situation very poorly imo.

I don't care about them closing practice. I'm just miffed at how they handled the whole deal. They should've closed practice from the beginning like Slade said. I guarantee there wouldn't be so much bitching.

If you think closed practices are good, then encourage the AD to hire Tyrone Willingham as an assistant. You'll be pleased. He is a firm believer in closed practices, not tackling during practice (you might get hurt), and no more than 2 days per week in the weight room (avoid muscle overuse). Oh yeah, and in alienating boosters because they have nothing to do with the team...

Closed practices are for pros.

They have no place in college ball.
:saythat:

:nod: It does sound like Hawk is feeling the heat. He's handled this situation very poorly imo.

I don't care about them closing practice. I'm just miffed at how they handled the whole deal. They should've closed practice from the beginning like Slade said. I guarantee there wouldn't be so much bitching.

agreed - first time I've seen Hawk act so blatantly against the fans. Blame it on some NU fans that were stealing secrets, but don't blame it on die-hard Buff fans. Come on Bohn-er!

2. I don't think it's legal by any NCAA manner for CU to make money off of a site that fed insider info....I believe Mike Leach or someone in Texas did this for awhile and got caught

That was the aTm coach who got fired (Fran). he was selling inside info in a newsletter to big-money donors. He didn't break rules, he was alienating the fans who couldn't afford his $5,000 newsletter...

There is nothing against the Buffs doing this per the NCAA. In fact the Buffs already do this with Buff-TV which is a subscription pay service. They don't do it because they don't want to compete with the media outlets (newspapers) that they feel they need to be buddies with.

Newsflash - the newspapers are all going belly up.

"Inside" information
* Miller playing FG blocking unit (why the **** wasn't he doing this before at 6'8" with this athleticism?)
* Scott with rugby-style punts
* Simas has good hands
* Our DL is struggling (with our strong DTs gone how was this not expected?!)

Newsflash: When you put the best players on the field the other staff recognizes it immediately. Every team needs to prepare for playmakers making the best plays possible. That's something I've noticed we've been caught with our pants down for (see Mizzou game) with our coaching staff.

This coaching staff is wearing thin on me. Limiting practice access is fine. I dislike, however, how they've handled it. Stop ****ing alienating the fanbase that has largely supported you in your 13-24 careers here at CU (I'm looking at you Hawk, Collins and Helfrich). Produce or get used to the fact that you're on the hot seat. React accordingly and remember that you are only creating the same hostile environment that we had in the latter years from the previous regime. Goodwill goes a long way.

I have to agree with Hawk on this one.. I don't want any of our opponents to find out all our secrets about that high powered, sophisticated offense that Helifich runs.. :lol::lol:

Repeating myself a bit here, but what are they going to run in the Spring Game when everyone's allowed to watch and they post video themselves?

This coaching staff is wearing thin on me. Limiting practice access is fine. I dislike, however, how they've handled it. Stop ****ing alienating the fanbase that has largely supported you in your 13-24 careers here at CU (I'm looking at you Hawk, Collins and Helfrich). Produce or get used to the fact that you're on the hot seat. React accordingly and remember that you are only creating the same hostile environment that we had in the latter years from the previous regime.

Have a cold beer, relax and watch some baseball or something. With posts like this, who are you suggesting is creating a hostile environment? Hint: look in the mirror.

Limiting practice access is fine. I dislike, however, how they've handled it.

this is my position coupled with the "blame the internet fans ambiguously" angle while lauding oneself (the coach) and most certainly working the PR angle that Coach Hawk is tech savvy (loves to text, Twitter, helmet cams, whatever)....what did they think was going to happen?

if the new info tech has taught us anything, the free access of information and the ability to produce and not merely passively consume (as it were) comes with a price.

i still think Hawk will get it done (though I think we've been sold a bill of goods a couple times with the O " Boise playbook" and whether this staff was ready for a BCS conference from Dan to the guy who puts the kicking tees in the bag)....but my chief complaint is the "we're making it up as we go along" sense i get a lot of times (gameplans from week to week, switching offenses every year...after if we bought one thing with Hawk it was supposedly an offensive identity--after Hawk's incantation that "we have a formula")....is not refuted by this botching of policies. It's like blaming the dog for eating the leftover steak on the dinner table.

until there are W's in year 4....I think it's fair to see more smoke than fire from the staff. I really don't think the fans are the problem. As Hawk likes to say, I think the "buy-in" factor from the fans and students has been pretty high the last 3 years. We've played along with his "new traditions", crappy new uniforms and showed up for the Spring game, etc. Heck, after 4+ wins a season we're are still pretty optimistic this spring....no reason to run us down.

as others have said, closing practices is not the issue. it's how it's been handled in an official capacity.

Last edited:
Sounds like a coach on the hot seat.
He knows he has to produce this year - the natives are restless! I have no problem with closed practices - all the big dogs do it. Just shut the ---k up and start winning some games - that's all that matters. " practice, man, we talkin about practice, not the game"

Last edited:
Have a cold beer, relax and watch some baseball or something. With posts like this, who are you suggesting is creating a hostile environment? Hint: look in the mirror.

I've supported this program more than a LOT of people that live in Colorado and I live 7 hours away. I plan to see us against CSU, @Texas, @OSU and @ISU this upcoming year. I buy a season ticket to support the program (it's in the nosebleeds, but what can you expect?), subscribe to BuffsTV during the season and try and give a little here and there. I'm by no means a big time booster and I doubt I ever will be, but if there were 30,000 fans like me this program would be in a much better position financially.

Last year I understood our injury problems and the lack of results that resulted from them. I've supported this staff after Montana State debacle (which I attended) and after other terrible losses. I know they walked into a very hard position to be in where the talent level on our team wasn't comparable to the others in the North and they've done an OK job. I saw on the field progress, for the most part, and I've seen our cupboard has gotten back to a respectable level. I've been pleased with our progress and, for the most part, I think Hawk is the man to bring us back to the promised land of a continual top 20 ranking.

If you look at my post history I bet a lot of people around here would consider me a sunshine pumper. I drink the kool-aid a lot and am pumped about our double digit W upcoming season. I love Hawk's enthusiasm for the program and for the University. I also think he has been a good ambassador for the University as well. Him and Bohn have done a good job reaching out to large boosters and to former players.

I'm disgruntled because I've been alienated and I know that I'm not the only one given the "internet scum" references we keep seeing throughout the boards. Yes, sometimes we do go overboard I'll admit, but a lot of these discussions are something that happen at home, work and at tailgates. When you have a high profile job (and earn big $$) then you have to accept criticism. It's part of the job. If Hawk is feeling pressure here, imagine what he would feel if he went to one of the CFB elite; Stoops is definitely feeling pressure to win as people want to take the "Big game Bob" name away even though OU has won the Big 12 3 times in a row now. Ridiculous. AB and the "other" CU FB fansite cause barely a stir compared to sites like orangebloods or whatever OU boards exist. The internet is now a part of the game, so adapt. If recruits are dismayed by one website, well, that's part of the game too. Win and recruit well and it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say.

I was seriously considering going to the spring game, but I'll take a raincheck this year. I hope we have as many people attend this year that attended last year as I know it's good for recruiting and the University's PR. For myself though, well I would rather spend my money doing something where I'm appreciated.

Back