What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

That seems kind of surprising since his resume isn't terribly impressive. It's not bad, but hardly anything that would seem to make him a hot candidate. :huh:
hes won a bunch of DIVIAA champs and turned cinci into a championship contender. Considering what school he is at, I would say he definitely has established his bona fides.

hes won a bunch of DIVIAA champs and turned cinci into a championship contender. Considering what school he is at, I would say he definitely has established his bona fides.

He's turned Cincinnati a championship contender for what? The Big East? :rolleyes:

He's turned Cincinnati a championship contender for what? The Big East? :rolleyes:

He won ten games last year. Big East or not, that's pretty impressive for Cincinnati. Plus I think he has won a MAC championship. He seems to do well wherever he is. I think it is a solid hire (not great) for Tennessee. Having Ohio recruiting connections is a plus.

The last coach to leave Cincy seems to be doing all right at Michigan State now.

Correction: Dantonio made Cincy into a Big East "contender" before leaving for Michigan State. The Bearcats then snagged Brian Kelly from where he turned Central Michigan's program around (at least as a MAC champ). He has 1 full year at Cincy and has done well, but coaching up existing players versus recruiting and coaching up your own players at a BCS caliber school are two different skills.

Great coaching prospect but I would think UT would have leverage to get a more proven coach for their needs, like Mike Leach.

i don't think Leach is a good fit east of the Mississippi.

he's "branded" himself at Tech: the pirate. if he takes another job it's a pac 10 job.

Sonny Dykes, OC at AZ on the short list at New Mexico.

Gary Patterson supposedly offered the KjSU gig.

Pinky signs long term deal to stay at Mizzou.

Clemson interviewing Mike Locksley, OC at Illinois.

And I agree with Mick, Leach won't fit in Tennessee, much more likely he ends up somewhere out west, I'd guess UW.

And I agree with Mick, Leach won't fit in Tennessee, much more likely he ends up somewhere out west, I'd guess UW.

Agreed. I think Leach would be a good fit for the Pac-10.

Putting aside, for a moment, the uber sucktidude that is Lubbock, TX., why would he want to go to Washington? He's got the #2 team in the country, in a recruiting gold mine, playing in the best conference in college football (at least this year). I understand UW has more tradition, but I'd guess the money would be about the same. Plus, UW is terrible. That's a true reclamation job if I've ever seen one. It'll take 5 years - minimum - to dig out of that hole. There's no hole to dig out of in Lubbock.

Putting aside, for a moment, the uber sucktidude that is Lubbock, TX., why would he want to go to Washington? He's got the #2 team in the country, in a recruiting gold mine, playing in the best conference in college football (at least this year). I understand UW has more tradition, but I'd guess the money would be about the same. Plus, UW is terrible. That's a true reclamation job if I've ever seen one. It'll take 5 years - minimum - to dig out of that hole. There's no hole to dig out of in Lubbock.

Well, Gerald Myers, the TT ad, gave ML the back of his hand at the beginning of the year when ML wanted an extension. Now GM is cringing,unable to backoff of his public pronouncements the issue will be dealt with after the season. There is definite friction there IMO.

Second, TT will always be second or third fiddle to UT and A&M in TX recruiting and behind UT and OU in prestige.

Third, UW will pay through the nose, offer a smoother sailing path to the BCS and MNC (i.e. U$C is the only consistent MNC challenger in the Pac 10, whereas, UT and OU are in that class yearly and not only in the B12, but the B12 S), and Pirate Mike will be able to have a slip for his Pirate ship near his office...

The more I think about it, he's as good as gone.....:smile2:

UW is terrible and that's why this job is perfect! This job has no where to go but up! No one will expect a winner for at least 4 years. The QB (hurt this year) is a great athlete and still young. The area is great. The support is great. The $$$ is there. If a guy likes Seattle, this is a dream job!

UW is terrible and that's why this job is perfect! This job has no where to go but up! No one will expect a winner for at least 4 years. The QB (hurt this year) is a great athlete and still young. The area is great. The support is great. The $$$ is there. If a guy likes Seattle, this is a dream job!

I don't buy it. Not in today's Couch Coach environment. Fans have lost all perspective and they will expect a winner from day 1.

I don't buy it. Not in today's Couch Coach environment. Fans have lost all perspective and they will expect a winner from day 1.

UW is different, they are so beaten down if they can get to 6-5 by year 4 they'd be happy.

Unless the couch is in Boulder, where it will likely be burned before the expiration of a year....:smile2:

He won ten games last year. Big East or not, that's pretty impressive for Cincinnati. Plus I think he has won a MAC championship. He seems to do well wherever he is. I think it is a solid hire (not great) for Tennessee. Having Ohio recruiting connections is a plus.

The last coach to leave Cincy seems to be doing all right at Michigan State now.

ya. what was cinci before him? nothing. lots of successful coaches have had less on their resume... like the guy coaching OSU for instance.

BB is right, he won a MAC championship at CMU and has done a great job at Cincy, no doubt about it. I would just think that Tennessee would be looking for more in a coach than that. But both your points are valid - he could end up being a great hire should Tenn decide on him.

The expectations at UW are going to be much higher while the leash will be much shorter at UW (and pretty much everywhere else) than it is in Lubbock. I predict Leach goes nowhere else. The points you make are spot on.

UW needs a coach who can get access to Southern California, and quick. I'm not sure if Leach can do that.

The fanbase and boosters would also prefer a defensive minded coach, as historically defense has been UWs strength.

With the right coach UW could be .500 next year and compete for a Pac-10 title or BCS game in 3 years. They do have young talent, but abysmal coaching. It would take a good recruiting class this year as well. The UW played as many or more freshman than any team in the country this year. They now have experience if nothing else. It could turn around 2-3 years with the right coach. But rebuilding with the wrong coach can take forever. The right coach would not take 5 years with the current crop of young guys.

Heads begin to roll:

Cowboy Joe Glenn out at Wyo.;

Chuck Long out after he was given the dreaded vote of confidence earlier this year.

HCBS part deux ready to roll in the Lil' Apple.......:rofl2:

And Dennis Franchione being metioned for the UW job...unbelieveable if true...

EDIT: UW bbs is virtually apoplectic over the specter of Franny patrolling the sideline at Husky Stadium, I can't blame them.

Last edited:
Heads begin to roll:

Cowboy Joe Glenn out at Wyo.;

Chuck Long out after he was given the dreaded vote of confidence earlier this year.

HCBS part deux ready to roll in the Lil' Apple.......:rofl2:

And Dennis Franchione being metioned for the UW job...unbelieveable if true...

EDIT: UW bbs is virtually apoplectic over the specter of Franny patrolling the sideline at Husky Stadium, I can't blame them.

Fran is no long term solution for UW but Im gonna guess he will turn recruiting around.

Too bad about Joe Glenn. I bet he gets another gig pretty quick.

Former Buff WR's coach Ted Gilmore and current Fusker WR's coach will interview at his alma mater WYO

My wish is for the sake of Gilmore. He's a good guy, and I'd like to see him succeed at his alma mater. It sucks that he's coaching in the Devil's armpit.

Back