What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cody Hawkins Comeback?

I know it's great to be optimistic but Hawkins really has nothing on McCoy in any significant aspect of quarterbacking judged in an objective fashion. Are we seriously debating that here?

i think most people would agree w/ that. but, just to play devil's advocate, do you know who the most accurate passer was at the last elite 11 (several very big name college qbs were counselors and participated in the drills)?

i think most people would agree w/ that. but, just to play devil's advocate, do you know who the most accurate passer was at the last elite 11 (several very big name college qbs were counselors and participated in the drills)?

Cody has that. Which is nice.

Meanwhile, Colt McCoy has a single season record for completion percentage. Which actually means something.

Cody has that. Which is nice.

Meanwhile, Colt McCoy has a single season record for completion percentage. Which actually means something.

yep. i think mccoy is a real talent. i just don't think it is entirely fair to suggest that cody is totally outmatched. he can play a little bit. he just hasn't been a guy who can singlehandedly lift the team. but, with a good ol, a better offensive scheme, etc., i think he can be effective...

I really hope Cody steps up. He has to at some point if we want to be successful. I just do not think he has earned the benefit of the doubt. To be honest, I think the whole offense is in the same boat.

I really hope Cody steps up. He has to at some point if we want to be successful. I just do not think he has earned the benefit of the doubt. To be honest, I think the whole offense is in the same boat.

i wonder about the transition from helfrich to kiseau, too. we had basically no offensive identity at all the last 3 years. no obvious "plan" of "this is who we are..." it was more of an ad-hoc, throw **** against the wall and hope something sticks type of approach. obviously, some of that is due to the youth and injuries, but some of it is due to helfrich's inexperience too.

and his gameday playcalling often blew chunks. he seemed to have no feel for the game or what was happening or what was working.

kiesau, as far as i know, has never called plays either. so, how much of a learning experience are we in for from him? that denver johnson guy ought to be some help--- he's been around and he knows you need a plan i suspect.

but, we do have some worries at a structural level that go beyond whether cody is the "man" or not.

Here is my take on the whole QB subject. Cody has great accuracy in a competition, but that doesn't exactly translate onto the field. I don't know how many times last year I put my hands in the air yelling, "He was wide open!" Cody is great at the play action pass (because it is short) but that group of plays has done very little for our offense. As someone posted before, when it's 3rd and 20, why throw a 5 yard screen? It would be awesome if they could run the option again, it worked back then (given that team was VERY talented) but it could work again...Tyler Hansen anyone? I would pick Hansen over Cody simply because he can run out of the pocket so well; a quality QB must be agile. Colt McCoy and Chase Daniel are much better QBs than any of ours, there shouldn't even be a debate over it. I understand they have had great teams, but ours is nothing to spit at either. If only Cody was taller, huh? That's my take.

Here is my take on the whole QB subject. Cody has great accuracy in a competition, but that doesn't exactly translate onto the field. I don't know how many times last year I put my hands in the air yelling, "He was wide open!" Cody is great at the play action pass (because it is short) but that group of plays has done very little for our offense. As someone posted before, when it's 3rd and 20, why throw a 5 yard screen? It would be awesome if they could run the option again, it worked back then (given that team was VERY talented) but it could work again...Tyler Hansen anyone? I would pick Hansen over Cody simply because he can run out of the pocket so well; a quality QB must be agile. Colt McCoy and Chase Daniel are much better QBs than any of ours, there shouldn't even be a debate over it. I understand they have had great teams, but ours is nothing to spit at either. If only Cody was taller, huh? That's my take.
I don't know what Play action pass means to you... but it definitely doesn't mean a short pass. It just means a fake to the RB.

I don't know what Play action pass means to you... but it definitely doesn't mean a short pass. It just means a fake to the RB.

The play action against ASU in Tempe when the ball went through Celestine's outstretched arms like three-point basket was anything but a short pass.

This post not only serves to support SB's point (don't count on it happen again, you smug ****er) but also to point out the important role the receivers play in a QB's completion percentage.

I think Celestine was a true frosh. that season. Do you think any of Texas' more senior, experienced receivers would have dropped that perfect pass?

The play action against ASU in Tempe when the ball went through Celestine's outstretched arms like three-point basket was anything but a short pass.

This post not only serves to support SB's point (don't count on it happen again, you smug ****er) but also to point out the important role the receivers play in a QB's completion percentage.

I think Celestine was a true frosh. that season. Do you think any of Texas' more senior, experienced receivers would have dropped that perfect pass?
That's exactly the play that came to mind when SB posted.

haha. Thanks. Smug eh?

That's exactly the play that came to mind when SB posted.
:nod:
Strangely enough, me too. That and the rollout playaction to Jfly in the WVU game for the 2d TD.

I know exactly what it means, but the Buffs haven't quite figured out how to really do it, that's what I'm saying. Our play action pass has been the short pass over the middle for the past 2 years, we haven't had any deep threats. I would love to see it done properly, crossing my fingers this year.

I know exactly what it means, but the Buffs haven't quite figured out how to really do it, that's what I'm saying. Our play action pass has been the short pass over the middle for the past 2 years, we haven't had any deep threats. I would love to see it done properly, crossing my fingers this year.
what part of the 2 stories mentioned above did you not read? How about the pass to Moyd against FSU that he overthrew? Or a few passes in the ISU game?

The wideouts were part of the problem in either not getting a clean release, dropping balls, or running bad routes (or not having the speed). The other problem was the Oline, especially last year.

Still chuckling about the thought of us actually going to an option-based offense myself.

what part of the 2 stories mentioned above did you not read? How about the pass to Moyd against FSU that he overthrew? Or a few passes in the ISU game?

The wideouts were part of the problem in either not getting a clean release, dropping balls, or running bad routes (or not having the speed). The other problem was the Oline, especially last year.

Or a couple plays in the Nebraskunt game...

I agree that we didn't and don't have the best offensive line, but you have to work with what you have. Putting the blame on them sounds like an excuse to me. I read all of the posts in this thread before I posted and I also wouldn't put the blame on the receivers, yeah they could be better like you said, but my memories of the past 2 seasons AREN"T of receivers dropping balls and running poor routes, rather they are of Cody collapsing in the pocket under minimal pressure many a time or throwing to the sideline because (in my opinion) he lacked the ability to read the entire field. That is a point that makes McCoy and Daniel much better QBs, they know how to read the field. And Boulder, tell me exactly why you think running the option is so fanciful, I'd like to hear it.

I agree that we didn't and don't have the best offensive line, but you have to work with what you have. Putting the blame on them sounds like an excuse to me. I read all of the posts in this thread before I posted and I also wouldn't put the blame on the receivers, yeah they could be better like you said, but my memories of the past 2 seasons AREN"T of receivers dropping balls and running poor routes, rather they are of Cody collapsing in the pocket under minimal pressure many a time or throwing to the sideline because (in my opinion) he lacked the ability to read the entire field. That is a point that makes McCoy and Daniel much better QBs, they know how to read the field. And Boulder, tell me exactly why you think running the option is so fanciful, I'd like to hear it.
Wow. Just wow. :wow:

Bottom line, if the OL stays healthy and solder and miller live up to the hype, Cody should have a good season and he'll prove many wrong. If he doesn't play well, he can only look in the mirror to see where the problem is.

He should have a solid running game period. We have the OL and TE's and a stable of good rb's.

Accuracy need only be judged in GAME PLAY, not summer 7 on 7 drills and throwing a nerf ball through a tire swing.

What? I remember celestine,smith,williams dropping a ton of balls. The arizona state game was the start.

Bottom line, if the OL stays healthy and solder and miller live up to the hype, Cody should have a good season and he'll prove many wrong. If he doesn't play well, he can only look in the mirror to see where the problem is.

He should have a solid running game period. We have the OL and TE's and a stable of good rb's.

Accuracy need only be judged in GAME PLAY, not summer 7 on 7 drills and throwing a nerf ball through a tire swing.
:yeahthat:

Personally I get a kick out of the insinuation that QB play has not been even a portion of the problem with our offense. OL has been a problem, as has WR play, but to suggest that the performance under center has not been a contributing factor to our struggles is pretty far off base IMO.

Personally I get a kick out of the insinuation that QB play has not been even a portion of the problem with our offense. OL has been a problem, as has WR play, but to suggest that the performance under center has not been a contributing factor to our struggles is pretty far off base IMO.
Welcome back 04. I always enjoyed our arguments. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone is trying to say Cody isn't to blame for the offensive woes. I just think Cody can do well with some time in the pocket. Maybe some weapons would help as well. I don't think he'll turn into Colt McCoy, but he can win. JMHO.

You were not watching close enough. First, the receivers have been a problem. They have dropped balls and there has been really poor route running at times. Second, there was more than minimal pressure at times. I think Cody's pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired at times, but he stood no chance at times last year. Finally, those sideline throws were largely by design because a dumb**** offensive coordinator had receivers running routes that made it extremely difficult for a QB with limited arm strength to get them the ball.

Also, I think running the option is a completely stupid idea, which is why I was laughing at you mentioning it. Hansen has some running ability, but that does not mean he could go out and execute an option-based. Then there is the fact that our offensive coordinator has worked almost exclusively in pro-style offenses his entire career and you think we can just make a quick change to the option. WTF?

Last edited:
Welcome back 04. I always enjoyed our arguments. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone is trying to say Cody isn't to blame for the offensive woes. I just think Cody can do well with some time in the pocket. Maybe some weapons would help as well. I don't think he'll turn into Colt McCoy, but he can win. JMHO.
I agree, I don't think anyone sees cody becoming mcoy or bradford but I think he can be a more consistent qb and a qb who should make less mistakes and put more points on the board. I can live with that as long as the wins are coming with that.

You were not watching close enough. First, the receivers have been a problem. They have dropped balls and there has been really poor route running at times. Second, there was more than minimal pressure at times. I think Cody's pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired at times, but he stood no chance at times last year. Finally, those sideline throws were largely by design because a dumb**** offensive coordinator had receivers running routes that made it extremely difficult for a QB with limited arm strength to get them the ball.

Also, I think running the option is a completely stupid idea, which is why I was laughing at you mentioning it. Hansen has some running ability, but that does not mean he could go out and execute an option-based. Then there is the fact that our offensive coordinator has worked almost exclusively in pro-style offenses his entire career and you think we can just make a quick change to the option. WTF?
Every time they had cody throw that 30 yd cross the field sideline pass, I was waiting for a db to just step in front and take it to the house.

Boulder I completely understand that we can't just change offensive schemes whenever we feel like it, but if they wanted to change it, they could in one season of prep. I would love it, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. It would be great if we could get some actual numbers on dropped balls by our receivers, then we wouldn't have to debate the issue. I was watching just as closely as anyone else here and we have a difference of opinion.

Valdez, why did you negative rep me? Seems a tad harsh for disagreeing with you on QBs.

Boulder I completely understand that we can't just change offensive schemes whenever we feel like it, but if they wanted to change it, they could in one season of prep. I would love it, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. It would be great if we could get some actual numbers on dropped balls by our receivers, then we wouldn't have to debate the issue. I was watching just as closely as anyone else here and we have a difference of opinion.

Valdez, why did you negative rep me? Seems a tad harsh for disagreeing with you on QBs.
It wasn't me. It was my roommate.

You cannot change from a pro-style offense to option offense in one offseason/regular season, especially with an offensive coordinator that has no real experience running that type of offense.:rolleyes: To make the switch would require a least two years and would require a completely different recruiting strategy in the process.

You cannot change from a pro-style offense to option offense in one offseason/regular season, especially with an offensive coordinator that has no real experience running that type of offense.:rolleyes: To make the switch would require a least two years and would require a completely different recruiting strategy in the process.
What offense are we running exactly?

Back