What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Fair. Frankly, he should probably be paid at least 30% more than any other coach.
I assume this is where the market will be capped for a while. Maybe Dabo gets in the ballpark if/when he signs a new deal or is lured away. I can't see any other established coach warranting getting close to that.

Coaching salaries have gone exponential.
Saban's a unique case. What he's done at Alabama is unreal; he deserves to lap the field in pay.

that said, when Saban was hired back in 2007, he was on a contract that averaged $4M per year, plus $800K for making bowl games.

For reference, CU had signed Dan Hawkins to a contract 2 years prior that paid him an average of $1.6M per year including incentives.

Saban's a unique case. What he's done at Alabama is unreal; he deserves to lap the field in pay.

that said, when Saban was hired back in 2007, he was on a contract that averaged $4M per year, plus $800K for making bowl games.

For reference, CU had signed Dan Hawkins to a contract 2 years prior that paid him an average of $1.6M per year including incentives.
If we would have paid Hawkins $4M, maybe we would have beaten Bama in the Independence Bowl?

He will be 79 years old when the contract expires.
Bowden started slipping at 75.

Paterno had the infrastructure in place to have great records well into his 80s.

Snyder didn't really miss a beat through 79 years old.

It can work if the program is a machine like Saban has built. The infrastructure should carry them for a while even if Saban slips a lot with his energy and acuity for the final years.

Paterno had the infrastructure in place to have great records well into his 80s.

It can work if the program is a machine like Saban has built. The infrastructure should carry them for a while even if Saban slips a lot with his energy and acuity for the final years.
I know it can work and has worked in the past. I can’t imagine working past the age of 60, much less 79. People like that always amaze me. To have only one thing in your life with any real meaning seems so odd to me. I suppose that’s why he’s the most successful college football coach of the last 50 years.

I also really wonder what college football is going to look like in another 9 years. Is he up for the inevitable changes that are coming?

I mean, I think he gets really good coaches to enter the rehab/audition process until 2030, which puts him at retirement in his late 70s. He’s a workaholic so he may die soon thereafter.

I mean, I think he gets really good coaches to enter the rehab/audition process until 2030, which puts him at retirement in his late 70s. He’s a workaholic so he may die soon thereafter.
This is the key.

He has almost unlimited money for assistants. You can call them rehabs but he keeps that staff stocked with guys who have already proven they can be outstanding assistants and in some cases had some success as head coaches. They all bust their tails because they want to use Bama as a stepping stone back into a quality HC job.

If Saban coaches for the remainder of his contract and averages 10 wins per year, he'll still have 28 fewer wins than Bowden as a HC.

He'll also have at least 5 more NCs than Bowden.

Back