What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

You left ND and Air Force out! Air Force is not P-65, but they win a ton of games and nobody wants to schedule them!! Barring great seasons, I think Ore State and WSU are on the outside looking in. I'm not sure RG can say very much, as the SEC and B1G are not talking, so probably not much to report. I could see it go down like position coaches cutting players... The P-4 powers that be get together--"alright who is in, who is on the bubble, and who should we just cut loose now." Fortunately, CU with Prime is on firm footing. We aren't have a Spring football game rather a weekend extravaganza! None of the TV partners want CU out.

If they do that and cut to like 45-50, my dark horse that says is SMU is in, as they have Dallas and once "had a payroll to meet" and they met it. Too bad, the NCAA thought otherwise.
But you are talking about just wiping a program essentially off the field, relegation is death. Investments have been made, people are employed, other sports count on them, hotels and restaurants exist because of game days. This is not a dog eat dog, this is a dog **** on other dog with the help of the dog catcher.
I am just surprised that the "not in the club" group is just going along and not making a bold move before it just ends

Reactions: GRM
I’m pretty sure that stadium would end up being closer to downtown Chicago than the one proposed in Arlington heights.

Why would he/she stop trying to schedule their biggest money maker and premier game of their season?
Correction, the CU game is their season.

Beat CU (even in years the Buffs suck) and they are treated as legendary. Lose, which is most of the time and their fans lose interest until the next time they play CU.

If a CSU AD agreed to not try to schedule CU his time there would be very short.

Parker was mediocre for CSU but I doubt they can attract much.
They have a white elephant stadium to pay for and zero chance that they end up in a power conference with significant media payouts.

We are continuing to see a widening of the gap between the haves and the have nots in college football and CSU is a have not.

They are already seeing a significant part of their athletic budget covered by school funds. Football which for major schools pays of other sports doesn't even pay for itself.

They aren't going to find significant corporate sponsorship for a program that has trouble averaging 20,000 per home game and now NIL is goin to put them further behind.

If they make a bad coaching hire they can't afford to fire him, make a good hire and they can't afford to keep him. With the transfer portal and NIL the power teams are going to pick off the majority of players they might get who exceed their recruiting expectations.

CSU fans want to continue to pretend that they are a big time program but they have never been willing to back their expectations with cash. They got very lucky when Earl Bruce managed to build a solid foundation then Sonny Lubick who was old enough that nobody else wanted him came in and gave them their glory years.
Since then they have at best been a middling MWC team going to mediocre bowl games but even when they are doing well (and even in those few years that they beat the Buffs) they haven't been able to generate the kind of fan support that maintains a competitive power conference program.

They can go through ADs, they can go through Head Coaches, under the current realities of major college football they are never going to get into the club that makes up the top level.

The ousting of Joe Parker speaks to the current state of football for the G5 and the upcoming tribulations within athletic departments. In decades past a program like CSU could sneak out wins against Power 5 teams every few years. A middling bowl and the promise of an average college education were enough to lure in both players and fans. As soon as the arms race in facilities began, smaller programs started to over-extend. Recruits expected more and donors were happy to put their names on a contribution list for facilities unsuited for what the programs are. For a bit television rights and other drivers of value for the wider sport, allowed a CSU to stay afloat as a clear second-tier options. That changed with NIL and conference realignment. Now the schools are looking at potential budget shortfalls with bills to pay that arose from attempting to jump up in prestige to a Power level seat. The next athletic directors at G5 schools are going to need to figure out how to pivot from a system that ill-suits them while simultaneously cutting costs. I do not envy whoever follows Joe Parker as they will have a major task on their hands of reshaping an athletic department to a new reality of reduced costs and the coming professionalization of revenue-producing sports.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a G5 thing for CSU but more so the fact that they can't draw very well to their new stadium despite it being right there on campus.

I don't think it's a G5 thing for CSU but more so the fact that they can't draw very well to their new stadium despite it being right there on campus.
Many if not most G5 teams have similar issues.

The core fans are there but even with smaller stadiums few of them come close to filling games.

Not only do they get fewer paying fans but the per ticket revenue is much lower.

TV the same, media revenues are a fraction of the power conferences.

It is only going to get worse for them.

Back