What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Daniels is the best player in the conference, IMO. We'll see if that materializes and the reason why I like them so much.

Helton is a dead man walking and has been for a few years. He knows it, the kids know it, the fans know it. They compound that by playing a brand of offense that limits the talent they have massively. You think they take a step forward this year?
Not necessarily with USC. I agree about Helton, although USC's kind of made it clear they aren't really fishing in the "win at all costs" pond anymore, so I wouldn't be surprised if 9-10 wins gives Helton another year.

I guess I'm just not buying into this mythical ASU hype that's been going on for a few years now, without results.

Not necessarily with USC. I agree about Helton, although USC's kind of made it clear they aren't really fishing in the "win at all costs" pond anymore, so I wouldn't be surprised if 9-10 wins gives Helton another year.

I guess I'm just not buying into this mythical ASU hype that's been going on for a few years now, without results.
That is fair. I just think if Daniels takes that next step he can cover most of the holes they have. If that doesn't happen, you probably have USC, ASU, and Utah battling it out with 2 or 3 losses for the south title.

That is fair. I just think if Daniels takes that next step he can cover most of the holes they have. If that doesn't happen, you probably have USC, ASU, and Utah battling it out with 2 or 3 losses for the south title.
Kind of like the Cal hype the last few years. If everything goes perfect and they get adequate QB play, they could win the North. I would say ASU has a better shot of overachieving than Cal because it's relying on one player being great, rather than the entire defense and multiple players on offense like Cal is.

Honestly, and I know I'll get laughed at here, I don't see why ASU should be viewed in more favorable light than CU in the South. Literally nothing over the last few years has indicated they are appreciably better than CU.

Kind of like the Cal hype the last few years. If everything goes perfect and they get adequate QB play, they could win the North. I would say ASU has a better shot of overachieving than Cal because it's relying on one player being great, rather than the entire defense and multiple players on offense like Cal is.

Honestly, and I know I'll get laughed at here, I don't see why ASU should be viewed in more favorable light than CU in the South. Literally nothing over the last few years has indicated they are appreciably better than CU.
Cal's offense is average to below average. Having an elite defense with an average to below average offense in today's college football will never get you in the conference title conversation. I don't think they take a step forward there, but we'll see.

I can understand that take on ASU as they probably have less talent overall than Utah and USC. However, when the best player in the conference is a playmaker like Daniels at QB, that can hide a lot of holes and automatically puts you in the conversation. I just love watching him play.

Edit: It also seems like ASU wants to protect Daniels and make him a pocket passer first, which is understandable to a point due to his slight frame. However, that dude is electric with the ball in his hands. Need to let him make those plays and deal with the injuries if they occur because he is that good.

COVID adversely affected Cal and Stanford more than any other P5 programs in the country.

I am pretty sure.

Look at the 2019 and 2020 seasons. USC lives on the edge in pretty much every game.
In 2019, ASU went 8-5, with 5 of their wins coming in 1 score games. Their three 2+ score wins came against Sac State, Kent State and Arizona
In 2019, USC went 8-5, with 4 of their wins coming in 1 score games. Their four 2+ score wins came against Stanford, Arizona, Cal and UCLA

In 2020, ASU went 2-2 with both wins being by 2+ scores against Arizona and Oregon State
In 2020, USC went 5-1 with 3 of their wins coming in 1 score games and 2 of their wins being 2+ scores against Utah and Washington State

ASU has lived on the edge more than USC

In 2019, ASU went 8-5, with 5 of their wins coming in 1 score games. Their three 2+ score wins came against Sac State, Kent State and Arizona
In 2019, USC went 8-5, with 4 of their wins coming in 1 score games. Their four 2+ score wins came against Stanford, Arizona, Cal and UCLA

In 2020, ASU went 2-2 with both wins being by 2+ scores against Arizona and Oregon State
In 2020, USC went 5-1 with 3 of their wins coming in 1 score games and 2 of their wins being 2+ scores against Utah and Washington State

ASU has been a young team building a team under a new coach.

USC has had an established coach the whole time.

That would be the difference.

ASU has been a young team building a team under a new coach.

USC has had an established coach the whole time.

That would be the difference.
That and the fact that ASU is building a talented team that we haven't seen mature.

USC has had talent, in some cases what should have been dominant talent under this coach and previous coaches and has always seemed to figure out a way to significantly underperform that talent.

What does anyone think is going to make this USC team different than prior USC teams in similar situations?

Ha, now you’re just getting personal. Still waiting on that dark horse Cal team to show its elite ness you’ve been predicting for a couple years now

I was very bullish on Cal going into 2020.

Who knew having the most restrictive COVID restrictions in the country would adversely affect a team?

Utah will have their best team under wittingham.

asu will continue to do asu things but just enough that people will hype them up again in 2022.

ucla will take a step forward.

going to be a tough south division.

And just so everybody is clear - one of those 5 losses was to CU...in Tempe, as a ranked team, with one Jayden Daniels at QB (don’t care how “young” he was. Based on that fact, count me out of the ASU/Daniels hype.

I was very bullish on Cal going into 2020.

Who knew having the most restrictive COVID restrictions in the country would adversely affect a team?
it does seem counter-intuitive -- I'd expect that the more restrictive governance during a pandemic leads to a heathier team leads to more on field success. I think the cancellations really hurt their final record though, and that's external to the reasoning regarding team health.

And just so everybody is clear - one of those 5 losses was to CU...in Tempe, as a ranked team, with one Jayden Daniels at QB (don’t care how “young” he was. Based on that fact, count me out of the ASU/Daniels hype.

People forget that herm tried to hire Klayton adams as their line coach this offseason and would have ended up with him if he didn’t bail for as assistant line coach in the nfl again.

so, if the game gets to a 3rd OT, the game will be decided purely by special teams try plays -- no offense, no defense, no kickoffs, no punts... just trys.

I think I hate that even worse than the system we've had the last several years.

Back