What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Game Attendance is Dropping...

As a 20yr season ticket holder my biggest complaints are the kickoff time being uncertain until 10 days or so before the game. Tv timeouts during games when it’s cold as crap or a nite game dragging the game on forever. And third the wi-fi is a joke at folsom.....can’t even stream pandora during a tailgate very well.
I don’t really care that someone can get in at a cheaper price because I choose to basically donate $ to buffs as a huge fan.

As a 20yr season ticket holder my biggest complaints are the kickoff time being uncertain until 10 days or so before the game. Tv timeouts during games when it’s cold as crap or a nite game dragging the game on forever. And third the wi-fi is a joke at folsom.....can’t even stream pandora during a tailgate very well.
I don’t really care that someone can get in at a cheaper price because I choose to basically donate $ to buffs as a huge fan.
you will never find decent wifi when there are 45k people with cell phones in the same place.

Sporadic start times are my largest complaint. With 2 kids, ski season and hunting season, I plan my life months in advance. Not knowing if a random saturday will have a 10am or 10pm kickoff keeps me from buying season tickets again. The powers that be prioritize TV slots over fan game day experience. So if they don't care about fan experience, why should I?

The first 2 minutes of this video, provides a rich but educational perspective of the millennial living next door. Perhaps, this clip will help the non-millennials on the board gain some understanding so we can all move on.

Lmfao this is amazing and nothing like me and everything I hate about the world all in one. But I don’t want kids so I must be lazy and selfish.

Sporadic start times are my largest complaint. With 2 kids, ski season and hunting season, I plan my life months in advance. Not knowing if a random saturday will have a 10am or 10pm kickoff keeps me from buying season tickets again. The powers that be prioritize TV slots over fan game day experience. So if they don't care about fan experience, why should I?

I can agree with this. the inconsistent start times and weeknight games really put the kibosh on the excitement for "being there." When I was growing up it seemed like UF home games were at noon and FSU home games were at night. I'm extra 35 so I grew up before the CFA put all the games on TV. I was lucky to see either the Gators or Noles once or twice a season and then maybe a bowl game. We'd listen on the radio to the games that weren't on TV. Going to a game was a well planned event. This hooked me on the pagentry of college football.

It is hard to duplicate that now with the revolving start times. I know the toothpaste is out of the tubes, but there should be some consistency. If this returns it would solve part of the problem.

college football attendance has dropped for five straight years now. I don't think the correlation of the playoffs being introduced at that point can be ignored. I have heard two different casual football fans express the attitude recently that "once your team loses a game, the season is pretty much over unless your Alabama" (that quote is nearly verbatim, from a fellow VT grad, explaining US college football to a couple of German guys). Anecdotes are not necessarily indicative of a trend, but I think this attitude is becoming increasingly widespread among the less die-hard fans with decreasing emphasis on conference championships and all the national attention put on the playoffs. If this is correct, it could explain much of the attendance trend if more and more fans are giving up on their teams once the first loss happens.

I'm not a fan of the idea, but I also note that expanding the playoffs and giving some conferences auto-bids could mitigate the trend of de-emphasizing conference championships.

college football attendance has dropped for five straight years now. I don't think the correlation of the playoffs being introduced at that point can be ignored. I have heard two different casual football fans express the attitude recently that "once your team loses a game, the season is pretty much over unless your Alabama" (that quote is nearly verbatim, from a fellow VT grad, explaining US college football to a couple of German guys). Anecdotes are not necessarily indicative of a trend, but I think this attitude is becoming increasingly widespread among the less die-hard fans with decreasing emphasis on conference championships and all the national attention put on the playoffs. If this is correct, it could explain much of the attendance trend if more and more fans are giving up on their teams once the first loss happens.

I'm not a fan of the idea, but I also note that expanding the playoffs and giving some conferences auto-bids could mitigate the trend of de-emphasizing conference championships.

The sad part is that’s true though. Alabama is so much better than everyone else that it doesn’t matter. Even when they do get beat it’s obvious they're still better than just about everybody.

Agree that the playoff probably has some correlation with the dropoff. But the thing that really confuses me (and I'm sure someone that is smarter than I can help to explain) is why the playoff suddenly made the other bowl games not matter as much? During the BCS era, being placed in a NY6 bowl or any bigger bowl that wasn't the BCS championship, teams and fans were still extremely excited about those other bowls. Why is it that a selection process of four teams has made those bowls less important? Now that the bowls are decided by humans instead of the BCS system that combined voters with statistics, they are no longer as important to the players and fans? Just doesn't make sense to me.

So pretty much exactly what we saw in Attack of the Clones during the bar scene? :ROFLMAO:
star-wars-robot-football-gif.gif

The introduction of the college football playoffs have been so bad, it is dropping attendance in MLB, NFL, NHL, and other college sports too.

- hokiehead probably

Agree that the playoff probably has some correlation with the dropoff. But the thing that really confuses me (and I'm sure someone that is smarter than I can help to explain) is why the playoff suddenly made the other bowl games not matter as much? During the BCS era, being placed in a NY6 bowl or any bigger bowl that wasn't the BCS championship, teams and fans were still extremely excited about those other bowls. Why is it that a selection process of four teams has made those bowls less important? Now that the bowls are decided by humans instead of the BCS system that combined voters with statistics, they are no longer as important to the players and fans? Just doesn't make sense to me.

we've been gradually moving towards a consensus national championship since the Bowl Coalition in 1992. however, the playoffs really moved the needle on this, seeming giving fans what they had been requesting for years. this caused almost all post-season fan attention to be centered on those three games, and none others. before the playoffs, a "conference championship" meant something significant and a "bowl championship" still meant something -- with the playoffs now, most fans views those as consolation prizes and don't think it's worth watching teams fight for a glorified participation ribbon.

The introduction of the college football playoffs have been so bad, it is dropping attendance in MLB, NFL, NHL, and other college sports too.

- hokiehead probably

You cynically raise an interesting point. I realize that my record of being anti-college-football-playoff causes some to view my posts on the subject critically, but (a) MLB, NBA and NFL attendance started dropping earlier, during a period where college football attendance was increasing (b) NHL attendance has actually been rising over this time (c) only two major US sport's attendance drops were coincidental with the introduction of playoffs (NASCAR)

You cynically raise an interesting point. I realize that my record of being anti-college-football-playoff causes some to view my posts on the subject critically, but (a) MLB, NBA and NFL attendance started dropping earlier, during a period where college football attendance was increasing (b) NHL attendance has actually been rising over this time (c) only two major US sport's attendance drops were coincidental with the introduction of playoffs (NASCAR)

do you have any numbers you can share. What about declining Men's basketball attendance numbers?

I have heard two different casual football fans express the attitude recently that "once your team loses a game, the season is pretty much over unless your Alabama"

Heh. There is some truth to that. I learned this lesson after we destroyed Nebraska 62-36 on National TV to cap the season with a signature win.

Random "when I was a kid" story: I was about 12 or 13, and spent some of my summer doing yard work for a few different people. I might have worked about 10 hours a week, maybe 15 hours once or twice.

I decided use half the money I made to buy 2 season tickets for air force so my dad and I could go to all the games (he ended up buying 4 and then made me put my money in a savings account).

But think about how much those tickets must have cost where a 12 year old kid "working" part time over the summer could afford them...

Sometime around 1982 or '83 I bought a pair of season tickets for Air Force for about $170. I used the Notre Dame tickets and gave the rest away. Air Force had - I think - a 4 game winning streak against them between like '82 & '86.

Last edited:
you will never find decent wifi when there are 45k people with cell phones in the same place.

Um, no.

TOP 15 FOR WI-FI

1. Super Bowl 52, U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minn., Feb. 4, 2018: Wi-Fi: 16.31 TB
2. Super Bowl 51, NRG Stadium, Houston, Feb. 5, 2017: Wi-Fi: 11.8 TB
3. Atlanta Falcons vs. Philadelphia Eagles, Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 6, 2018: Wi-Fi: 10.86 TB
4. Super Bowl 50, Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, Calif., Feb. 7, 2016: Wi-Fi: 10.1 TB
5. Taylor Swift Reputation Tour, Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass., July 27, 2018: Wi-Fi: 9.76 TB
6. Minnesota Vikings vs. Philadelphia Eagles, NFC Championship Game, Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, Pa., Jan. 21, 2018: Wi-Fi: 8.76 TB
7. Jacksonville Jaguars vs. New England Patriots, AFC Championship Game, Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass., Jan. 21, 2018: Wi-Fi: 8.53 TB
8. Taylor Swift Reputation Tour, Broncos Stadium at Mile High, May 25, 2018: Wi-Fi: 8.1 TB
9. Kansas City Chiefs vs. New England Patriots, Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass., Sept. 7, 2017: Wi-Fi: 8.08 TB
10. Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys, Divisional Playoffs, AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas, Jan. 15, 2017: Wi-Fi: 7.25 TB
11. Stanford vs. Notre Dame, Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend, Ind., Sept. 29, 2018: 7.19 TB
12. (tie) Southern California vs. Notre Dame, Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend, Ind., Oct. 21, 2017: 7.0 TB
Arkansas State vs. Nebraska, Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, Neb., Sept 2, 2017: Wi-Fi: 7.0 TB
13. WrestleMania 32, AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas, April 3, 2016: Wi-Fi: 6.77 TB
14. Wisconsin vs. Nebraska, Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, Neb., Oct. 7, 2017: Wi-Fi: 6.3 TB
15. Super Bowl 49, University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Ariz., Feb. 1, 2015: Wi-Fi: 6.23 TB

Last edited by a moderator:
After WWII and Korea and with the advent of TV, American men found televised sports as a sort of escape from all the stress they’d lived with through those war years. Sports on TV became a big deal and it grew for the next 30 years or so as the technology improved and the marketing became more focused.

But the newer generations, the millennials and Z’s or whatever they are called have gotten bored with it all. They are looking for different avenues of entertainment.

After WWII and Korea and with the advent of TV, American men found televised sports as a sort of escape from all the stress they’d lived with through those war years. Sports on TV became a big deal and it grew for the next 30 years or so as the technology improved and the marketing became more focused.

But the newer generations, the millennials and Z’s or whatever they are called have gotten bored with it all. They are looking for different avenues of entertainment.

You bring up a thought that might go with this.

In the "Golden Age of Television" the 50's through the 70's the nature of work for the average American male was different. We had a much higher percentage of the workforce involved in physical labor and that physical labor often tended to be more demanding than physical labor now. We had large numbers of people doing manual assembly in factories, construction workers worked with less prefabricated materials and even power tools were more physically demanding. I have my dad's old power tools and the weigh much more than my modern ones do even while sometimes being less powerful and slower.

Comparatively how many workers under 30-35 years of age now do intense physical labor. Their work is more intellectual, running a computer, using data, selling, providing support or services.

Those workers of past generations came home with tired muscles, they wanted to sit and shut down. Today's workers are often much more interested in getting out and being active. Go take a run or go to the gym or just go out and mingle with others. The last thing they want to do is sit in a chair and watch a screen, unless they are actively involved in what is happening on that screen be it the web or a video game.

A lot of the guys on this site are good examples. Their work is mental and or emotional. They have a good time going to a Buffs game but they also spend their week looking forward to going skiing or fishing or somehow getting out and active. Even "relaxing at home" means firing up the grill spending hours on the perfect chunk of meat or brewing their own beer.

Reactions: DBT
You bring up a thought that might go with this.

In the "Golden Age of Television" the 50's through the 70's the nature of work for the average American male was different. We had a much higher percentage of the workforce involved in physical labor and that physical labor often tended to be more demanding than physical labor now. We had large numbers of people doing manual assembly in factories, construction workers worked with less prefabricated materials and even power tools were more physically demanding. I have my dad's old power tools and the weigh much more than my modern ones do even while sometimes being less powerful and slower.

Comparatively how many workers under 30-35 years of age now do intense physical labor. Their work is more intellectual, running a computer, using data, selling, providing support or services.

Those workers of past generations came home with tired muscles, they wanted to sit and shut down. Today's workers are often much more interested in getting out and being active. Go take a run or go to the gym or just go out and mingle with others. The last thing they want to do is sit in a chair and watch a screen, unless they are actively involved in what is happening on that screen be it the web or a video game.

A lot of the guys on this site are good examples. Their work is mental and or emotional. They have a good time going to a Buffs game but they also spend their week looking forward to going skiing or fishing or somehow getting out and active. Even "relaxing at home" means firing up the grill spending hours on the perfect chunk of meat or brewing their own beer.

So we should bring the track back to Folsom and have the whole crowd do laps and pushups when CU scores?

If reduced scholarships, "forced parity", and larger playoff field are supposed to reduce the chance for Alabama/Clemson to establish dynasties, then how do you explain:

Mount Union (12 national championships and played in 20 of the last 23 title games) at D3 level (no schollies)
North Dakota State (7 out of the past 8 years as FCS champions) at FCS level (including 6 straight wins against FBS schools 5 of which are P5) and a 112-8 record since 2011.
New England Patriots (as far as the NFL is concerned one of the most dominant periods under Bellichick in history) with 5 titles and 8 Super Bowl appearances in a 16 year span.

Proof positive that dominant dynasties can happen under any format.

Seeing this national championship game in an empty Levi’s stadium is depressing. I wish this game were here in DC. The crowd at Fedex would be electric

A lot of the red seats blend in because of Bama...
I looked at tickets just prior to kickoff and they were 2 available for $700 and the rest were $1200+. It is true though, that there is generally no local interest for this game. I just walked to my corner market to get a 6 pack during half time and they weren't watching it in the store and then on the way back this older guy that usually talks to me about the giants/niners wished me a happy new year so I responded in kind and then asked him if he was watching the game. He said, "I should, what time does it start?"

What was with that **** about Vietnam? What the **** does anything have to do with Vietnam?! What the **** are you talking about?!

Last edited:
Back