What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Game Attendance is Dropping...

I looked at tickets just prior to kickoff and they were 2 available for $700 and the rest were $1200+. It is true though, that there is generally no local interest for this game. I just walked to my corner market to get a 6 pack during half time and they weren't watching it in the store and then on the way back this older guy that usually talks to me about the giants/niners wished me a happy new year so I responded in kind and then asked him if he was watching the game. He said, "I should, what time does it start?"
And that about sums up the root issue in why the Pac 12 is struggling. Western fans simply don’t give a ****.

My take on this is that there are now more and more people who feel the live experience of attending a game is not worth the hassle when you can easily access the game in high definition in the comforts of your own home. On top of the drastic increase in television quality over the few decades, people also are just so drawn into their various devices that the experience of being in public just doesn't matter as much as it used to, since you can essentially bring the public into the privacy of your own home.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing beats a day at Folsom Field. I get shivers when Ralphie runs, too. But a lot of that is because I grew up going to the games as a kid, and and i built even stronger ties to the university as a student, so it really feels like CU is in my bones at this point. What feels drenched in this sacred nostalgia for me is, for a lot of others, a nice day in a cool stadium, just watching a football game. But you gotta deal with parking, and crowds, and expensive stadium prices, and giving up your saturday, annnnnnnd suddenly it can start to feel like a chore for the non-diehards.

As far as the TV quality increase, I think I one of the appeals of going to a game in person used to be the idea that I could see the game better than I could if I was watching from home. That's not the case anymore. Think of how many big instant replays impact the game now. Whatever you feel about instant replay, you must admit there is a big difference between how a booth review feels when you're at home vs. when you're at the stadium. Whenever that's going on at a CU game, I know I grab my phone and text a friend who is watching at home to get a better idea of which way the call is gonna go.

My take on this is that there are now more and more people who feel the live experience of attending a game is not worth the hassle when you can easily access the game in high definition in the comforts of your own home. On top of the drastic increase in television quality over the few decades, people also are just so drawn into their various devices that the experience of being in public just doesn't matter as much as it used to, since you can essentially bring the public into the privacy of your own home.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing beats a day at Folsom Field. I get shivers when Ralphie runs, too. But a lot of that is because I grew up going to the games as a kid, and and i built even stronger ties to the university as a student, so it really feels like CU is in my bones at this point. What feels drenched in this sacred nostalgia for me is, for a lot of others, a nice day in a cool stadium, just watching a football game. But you gotta deal with parking, and crowds, and expensive stadium prices, and giving up your saturday, annnnnnnd suddenly it can start to feel like a chore for the non-diehards.

As far as the TV quality increase, I think I one of the appeals of going to a game in person used to be the idea that I could see the game better than I could if I was watching from home. That's not the case anymore. Think of how many big instant replays impact the game now. Whatever you feel about instant replay, you must admit there is a big difference between how a booth review feels when you're at home vs. when you're at the stadium. Whenever that's going on at a CU game, I know I grab my phone and text a friend who is watching at home to get a better idea of which way the call is gonna go.

Yeah I’ve seen this argument before and it definitely is a factor for some people. I usually just drink before the game and eat so that I don’t have to waste much money inside, it’s easy to plan for that. I was raised on Broncos games and I’ve gone to at least 4 games a year for the past 20 years. It’s never really a chore for me, it’s just fun. I’m adding Buffs tickets this season and I’m excited to go to more than 2-3 games a year. I can’t fault people for the price and hassle but I have a 65” OLED and I’d still rather be at the game cheering in person.

On television you only see a 10 yard “box” until the ball is snapped. Then the camera follows the ball, whether it’s handed off or the QB drops back. So you can’t really see anything develop outside of that box. To get the full experience, you need to see the entire field and plays develop downfield.

I wish they would show CU on local television. Maybe at least here in northern CO. Everyone can watch the Broncos on basic TV. I think making it easier for fans to follow helps to build up their fanbase.

I feel more people would become Buff fans if it was easier to follow the team. The cost of the cable package that carries the P12 network prolly turns off most casual fans.

Last edited:
Curious to know what percentage of season ticket holders are alumni.

That might be a hard figure to arrive at. How do you count corporate and business tickets, what if one the decision makers are split between alums and non-alums.

I think it may be surprising how many tickets are not held by alumni or shared with non-alumni.

That doesn't change though that the best source of potential season ticket holders (and donors) is the student body.

Reactions: Val
When you dig into student attendance numbers (future fans and or season ticket holders) that’s where the ADs lose sleep.
Graduate School and get free or discounted tickets within the first few years would be a great marketing tool

Back