What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado at USC post game thread

Some of it is on Tad, just because of the frequency that these collapses seem to occur. But ultimately it's on the players. King needs to take the next step and demand the ball in these situations. He's the best all around scorer on the team by far. Similar to what Mclaughlin did for USC. Maybe he was and our other guards were just turning the ball over before he could
That's what drives me nuts. No one wants to be the guy. No one other than Josh. But they never get him the ball in crunch time. Hell, with him and Wes underneath, we have a good chance of getting offensive rebounds. TAKE SOME SHOTS!!

Its amazing how quick buff fans, and I am not talking specifically about this board, have turned on Tad. Especially with how this season is still not over and there are plenty of opportunities to secure some wins and make the dance.

The one revenue sport that is mildly successful and pretty consistent, and people want to fire the coach.
Who wants to fire the coach?

I"m boycotting the UCLA game. I'm old and my heart cannot take it. I'll record it. Then I'll find out if we won. If we won, I'll watch it all nice and relaxed. I put the blood pressure thing on during a game once and my BP was, like, 180/110 or something. This damned team is going to give me an aneurysm. Haha.

At the end of the day we're 19-8 and still have a good chance of making the dance. I think everyone would have taken that at the beginning of the year. Especially if they knew XJ wouldn't play. Problem is this team clearly has the potential to be much better. And I think that's what is frustrating people. You see flashes of a great team, but then you also get the last 10 minutes of this game.

Folks on twitter, on BDC, on Facebook, etc.

This is stupid. I know you're not saying you want Tad FIRED, but anyone else that does is an ungrateful, spoiled idiot that can't see beyond the immediate moment and needs instant gratification. Yes, Tad has limitations with in-game coaching, and he will readily admit that he has more to learn. All good coaches believe they need more to learn; very easy to say that retrospectively after losses. When he was at KU, and now even moreso that he's at UNC, I've talked a lot of **** to KU and UNC fans (although not too many true UNC fans in CO, more KU) about ole' Huckleberry Hound, Roy Williams, and after last night, many Duke fans are reveling in how Roy is the most overrated great coach of all time. BUT, trash talking aside, Roy is still a damn great coach. On a lesser scale, apply the same to Tad. Beyond not calling timeouts, I am not a fan of some substitutions he does, and I wish our recruiting was a little stronger. But Tad has taken the program a full step ahead of what Bz had going on.

This team is playing well for the most part, and yes, they have had missed opportunities. I'm still confident they've done enough (assuming they don't completely collapse) to easily get into the tournament, and maybe even win a game. That's a very reasonable expectation and achievement for this program at this point. Hopefully both expectations and achievements steadily increase over the next handful of years, but for now, I'm really enjoying this team.

I"m boycotting the UCLA game. I'm old and my heart cannot take it. I'll record it. Then I'll find out if we won. If we won, I'll watch it all nice and relaxed. I put the blood pressure thing on during a game once and my BP was, like, 180/110 or something. This damned team is going to give me an aneurysm. Haha.
That's what you say now, but come game time...

At the end of the day we're 19-8 and still have a good chance of making the dance. I think everyone would have taken that at the beginning of the year. Especially if they knew XJ wouldn't play. Problem is this team clearly has the potential to be much better. And I think that's what is frustrating people. You see flashes of a great team, but then you also get the last 10 minutes of this game.

Good post

Losses like these add up. This is the 4th one now. We were lucky last week that its not 6. Seems to be a lack of urgency from both coaches and players.

Its amazing how quick buff fans, and I am not talking specifically about this board, have turned on Tad. Especially with how this season is still not over and there are plenty of opportunities to secure some wins and make the dance.

The one revenue sport that is mildly successful and pretty consistent, and people want to fire the coach.
And what if things had turned out differently - the Buffs hadn't collapsed - everyone would be wanting to give Tad a 5-year contract extension. Either perspective based on 8 minutes of one game.

The turnovers were the difference. Cut those in half and we might have had an insurmountable 30-point lead and SC given up.

Guys,guys, guys. Would you really rather have a different coach? Man, we've gotten pretty damned spoiled and ungrateful. I wouldn't trade Tad for 99% of the coaches out there.

We have tapped out with Tad. He is the best thing we have ever had for MBB. But he has hit his ceiling both in coaching and recruiting. The funny thing is, most coaches before the advent of the 3 point line knew exactly how to beat a 2-3 zone. But not Tad. We were flat footed for the last 8 minutes with King throwing the ball away when a shot was open. That was terrible. Never mind the stupid wheel play to open the 2nd half. Four straight wheel plays = 3 turnovers.

This is all on coaching. Tad appears to have no idea how to stop the bleeding when the lead starts to evaporate, and he looks like a deer in headlights. Until Tad figures it out, our teams will continue to have a hard time solving our problems.

We have tapped out with Tad. He is the best thing we have ever had for MBB. But he has hit his ceiling both in coaching and recruiting. The funny thing is, most coaches before the advent of the 3 point line knew exactly how to beat a 2-3 zone. But not Tad. We were flat footed for the last 8 minutes with King throwing the ball away when a shot was open. That was terrible. Never mind the stupid wheel play to open the 2nd half. Four straight wheel plays = 3 turnovers.

This is all on coaching. Tad appears to have no idea how to stop the bleeding when the lead starts to evaporate, and he looks like a deer in headlights. Until Tad figures it out, our teams will continue to have a hard time solving our problems.
Uhh, no. Lots of no.

This cannot be serious. I'ts a joke, right?

It is not Buff fans its the same six morons on here and the same 2 or 3 on twitter - frankly I think most of that group would be happier if we got blown rather than lost a lead late, we also like to keep talking only about the games we lost by blowing leads, there were also games we won after being down 15+.

It is not Buff fans its the same six morons on here and the same 2 or 3 on twitter - frankly I think most of that group would be happier if we got blown rather than lost a lead late, we also like to keep talking only about the games we lost by blowing leads, there were also games we won after being down 15+.

No one likes to lose. I get it. We shouldn't accept losses, especially when we have all seen the glimpses of what this team can be. But there are 1000's of ways to win basketball games. It happens. Also this isn't football where voters are determining your standing in the playoffs. You don't get style points in NCAA Basketball. You win or you don't. I am very happy we have a lot more wins than we do losses.

We have been saying this for 4 ****ing years ... what the **** is with the continuous scoring droughts at the end of games? New players but the same old **** keeps happening. That tells me its totally on Tad. Happens far too often. Like people have said, but for King hitting that miracle shot vs WSU and Andrews missing a gimme jumper, we'd be talking about a team that's way on the wrong side of the bubble right now.

When is Tad held accountable for this ****? Does Rick George say something? "Hey, um, we need to use our timeouts, Tad." or "Let's draw up some plays against the zone." Something has to change or this program will always be on the cusp.
No as the AD you do not meddle in your coaches day to day job. The AD offers the resources to the coach to do their job and evaluate how the coach has used the avalible resources. If deemed unsatisfactory then you cut the coach loose.

Some CU fans need to get the idea of Rick George as coaching strategy overlord out of their heads.

My fear/takeaway is this: Turnovers are now an inescapable fact of this team playing any athletic team with a pulse. I'm sure there has been one or two games where we kept them under control, but this team can't help itself and will make really bad turnovers against good teams. That's not a recipe for success against upper tier talent. I think if you looked at almost every game we've had against teams that have been in the top 25 at some point this year, you will see us with a ton of turnovers. Those turnovers are what have kept us from winning those games.

And it isn't going to change. Not this year.

Which means while we have a nice high floor thanks to Josh/Wes, our ceiling is extremely limited. Now I don't want to go to vegas.

that sucks.

My fear/takeaway is this: Turnovers are now an inescapable fact of this team playing any athletic team with a pulse. I'm sure there has been one or two games where we kept them under control, but this team can't help itself and will make really bad turnovers against good teams. That's not a recipe for success against upper tier talent. I think if you looked at almost every game we've had against teams that have been in the top 25 at some point this year, you will see us with a ton of turnovers. Those turnovers are what have kept us from winning those games.

And it isn't going to change. Not this year.

that sucks.

Its annoying because its not necessarily the decision making that is the problem. Its lazy.

No as the AD you do not meddle in your coaches day to day job. The AD offers the resources to the coach to do their job and evaluate how the coach has used the avalible resources. If deemed unsatisfactory then you cut the coach loose.

Some CU fans need to get the idea of Rick George as coaching strategy overlord out of their heads.

But it works so well for Jerry Jones

I saw a complete lack of confidence. When USC was making their run, Fortune passed up at least three open 3 pointers to drive 10 feet toward the basket and then pass the ball back out. Dom also gave up a couple of open looks. We need those guys to hoist up open shots in that situation, it's better than the inevitable turnover and there's a decent chance our bigs will rebound a miss.

Pac 12 turnover pct "leaders"
Dom is on that list because of the last 5 games. Incredible we are 2-3.

Also, @Goose is wondering... WHY is fletch getting sat for King and Fortune? Fletch was killing fools out there, and King and Fortune were TO machines that refused to take the big shot.

Also, @Goose is wondering... WHY is fletch getting sat for King and Fortune? Fletch was killing fools out there, and King and Fortune were TO machines that refused to take the big shot.

Foul trouble at one point, but not sure why he stayed there.

Well, he was on the list a couple of weeks ago but was fourth on the Buffs, not first. Akyazili dropped off the list only because his minutes recently dropped below the 40% needed to qualify.

Well, he was on the list a couple of weeks ago but was fourth on the Buffs, not first. Akyazili dropped off the list only because his minutes recently dropped below the 40% needed to qualify.
good info. How are we winning?

(Answer: Josh and Wes are really good)

Yeah if there is one thing Fletch doesn't hesitate with it is taking an open three pointer, we need more of that. King, Fortune and Fletch (maybe even dom lately) should not be afraid to take open threes and they are all needed when we play against a zone.

Back