What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v Arizona State - October 7, 4.30pm, P12N

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 been moved to the TE room. Something to watch. Probably won't play this week or next week at TE but with Harrison's struggles at run blocking and Yelverson or the other TEs not really adding too much value otherwise. This maybe a breakout move for Javon. We all know he's capable of great play, we just haven't seen it and maybe WR is just too hard at this level for his player type. I know he can play, TO wouldn't be working with him.
Running the wrong routes isn't something that gets fixed by a move to TE, but hey, he lost his spot so worth at try.

TEs don't really have as much of a complexity to their route patterns and they are usually covered by LBs and safeties and they get time to get into their routes as no one presses tight ends
He messed up a simple curl or stop route last week and didn't make it to the first down line. He didn't really fight hard for the ball either, which he will have to do as a TE. And TE definitely have to have a feel about where to go v zones etc. Mikey has that feel. But hopefully taking some routes off his plate helps.

Would love to be at or near full strength with Hunter and the rest by the time we play UCLA. Win these next two, and that game could be huge. Quality opponent on the road who has a lot of film to look at. Would also be nice to kick UCLA in the nuts on their way out of the conference.

He messed up a simple curl or stop route last week and didn't make it to the first down line. He didn't really fight hard for the ball either, which he will have to do as a TE. And TE definitely have to have a feel about where to go v zones etc. Mikey has that feel. But hopefully taking some routes off his plate helps.
I've said this before on not just Javon but other WRs. It's not easy getting open against solid man coverage. Javon biggest issue I see is 3 part

Usually his body to shield on the outside for leverage, this is what a possession WR must have as getting open will always be harder because you don't have the ability due to your size.

I think his first step is way too slow.

I didn't feel he felt the game at a high level.

That said, in the highlights, he's been explosive, he's proven he can run block previously but run blocking at the line is a different ballgame. That said, he should be miles better at than Mike but he's got work to do to catchup to Yelverson

I generally like his hands.

I like his size.

he did do some good thinks in the middle of the field against Oregon which made me think he's got some real upside as a potential h-back or converted TE. His routes don't look bad. He just can't get open as a WR.

Would love to be at or near full strength with Hunter and the rest by the time we play UCLA. Win these next two, and that game could be huge. Quality opponent on the road who has a lot of film to look at. Would also be nice to kick UCLA in the nuts on their way out of the conference.
That should be the game where you earn your bowl eligibility too. A healthy 6-2 squad going into that OSU, Arizona, Wash St, Utah stretch makes things really interesting.

I've said this before on not just Javon but other WRs. It's not easy getting open against solid man coverage. Javon biggest issue I see is 3 part

Usually his body to shield on the outside for leverage, this is what a possession WR must have as getting open will always be harder because you don't have the ability due to your size.

That said, in the highlights, he's been explosive, he's proven he can run block previously but run blocking at the line is a different ballgame. That said, he should be miles better at than Mike but he's got work to do to catchup to Yelverson

I like his size.

he did do some good thinks in the middle of the field against Oregon which made me think he's got some real upside as a potential h-back or converted TE. His routes don't look bad. He just can't get open as a WR.
So his biggest issue is his poor first step, poor feel and not understanding how to use his size?

I like his size.

This doesn't bode well for him iyam but again, worth a shot.

So his biggest issue is his poor first step, poor feel and not understanding how to use his size?
He can use his size on finishing plays but as a possession WR, you have to be able to use your size the entire way. It's different than just using your vertical on a jump ball. This is generally what separates WRs from other positions.

Poor feel is just knowing where the sticks are, knowing how to find space. This is where Zay Weaver shines. He's always knowing where to find space even if he doesn't run the best routes.

Poor first step speaks for itself

He can use his size on finishing plays but as a possession WR, you have to be able to use your size the entire way. It's different than just using your vertical on a jump ball. This is generally what separates WRs from other positions.

Poor feel is just knowing where the sticks are, knowing how to find space. This is where Zay Weaver shines. He's always knowing where to find space even if he doesn't run the best routes.

Poor first step speaks for itself
I get it, but it's well beyond one issue, and we're talking about a grad transfer. We knew the huge transfer class was bound to have a few disappointments Antonio looks like one. Not a huge deal, imo, given the other successes, but his biggest flaws aren't suddenly going to disappear.

Slusher looks to be full go and with Shilo back the safeties should be full strength. What about Breedlove at CB? I thought he was still in a non-contact jersey but I could be mistaken.
That is huge. Need Stoutmire and I feel really good about our pass D on Saturday

A big target with soft hands who is faster than linebackers. There's potential here.
There is. I just wish he was a sophomore or junior to give him time to realize that potential. Turning him into an asset at TE 5 games into his final season is a tall order.

There is. I just wish he was a sophomore or junior to give him time to realize that potential. Turning him into an asset at TE 5 games into his final season is a tall order.
e268f78b-7414-4440-b4e0-1768c12e928a_text.gif

God I hate the P12 network. Their broadcasts feel like they're trying to cover some sort of club/intramural team, whereas the other networks make the games feel like actual events
The RMAC conference which includes all the Colorado D2 schools that get mentioned in the Other Games thread streams almost all of the conference games and I usually watch a couple per week.

Crazy thing is that with limited camera angles and dubbing in a local radio play by play their production quality isn't far from what we see on the PAC12 Network, in fact I'd say that the PAC12 Network is closer to the RMAC Network than it is to the ESPN/Fox broadcast.

Soft hands? #4?
Yep. He actually runs good routes and catches with a good radius.

His problems are the more refined WR skills that don't seem to come naturally to him and he clearly hasn't had the coaching on you'd expect from a 4th year college player - reading the defense, making route adjustments, using his body to wall off a defender, high pointing a ball instead of letting it fall into his stride, sideline footwork.

Hopefully the TE routes would simplify things to take advantage of his talents.

Yep. He actually runs good routes and catches with a good radius.

His problems are the more refined WR skills that don't seem to come naturally to him and he clearly hasn't had the coaching on you'd expect from a 4th year college player - reading the defense, making route adjustments, using his body to wall off a defender, high pointing a ball instead of letting it fall into his stride, sideline footwork.

Hopefully the TE routes would simplify things to take advantage of his talents.
Great freakin' post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back