What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Congratulations cornfuskers on getting 80,000+ for your spring game

Okay, I'm fairly impressed with the number of the nebraska fans and their devotion. But I wouldn't trade my fanbase in a million years. But rather than concentrate on the positive (i.e. why I love CU fans), I'd rather focus on the negative. So here I go...

What I don't like about the big red fans: The short list.

1. Too many NFL fans in nebraska. What could I possibly mean by that? After all, the huskers represent a university in the town of Lincoln--on the surface it sounds like pure NCAA material.

However, regions that provide alternatives for sports fans tend to generate distinct fanbase cultures. I'm by no means levelling a judgment, but the crowds at Broncs games feel very different than those at CU games. Similarly, when I lived in Southern California, I noted a significant difference between the feel of a USC game (hey, I was desperate!) and a Chargers game. I prefer the college crowd, personally. Games in Lincoln have that NFL feel to them, not because they're so well-attended, but because someone forgot to give the NFL fans a team so they devoted themselves to the huskers.

I'm not saying that CU fans are always on their best behavior..the student section does get a bit rowdy (I prefer the term "spirited"). But, overall, I really like the group of Colorado fans that are attracted to the Buffs over the MANY other sports options in the region. Quality vs. quantity, as someone already noted. Colorado's NFL fans attend games in Denver.

Winning is not a God-given right, but rather a blessing to be cherished:

Back in the early 60s, the humble, God-fearing ruralites of Nebraska were blessed with a great coach who laid the foundation for a remarkable winning-tradition. And by golly, those people loved those teams and celebrated their victories. Let's face it, not since Willa Cather got published had anything quite so exciting happened in those parts. BTW, I'm guessing about this part since I wasn't born until early 1970, but I'll give the red fans the benefit of the doubt and say that back in the day, they were the humble, appreciative fans they pretend to be to this very day.

But something happened over the years and--in my observation--Nebraska fans began to expect victory. The dubyas were no longer celebrated, but rather anticipated, and when those rare losses rolled around, there was some belly-achin'. A little too much validation and identity crept into the fanship and somehow they forgot it was a game with teams and fans on both sides of the field. In their minds wins and losses actually reflected on "them" the human beings who rooted for the team, not the team itself.

Guess what nebraska fans? Outside of your state, your football accomplishments are respected, but nobody believes that you're owed anything for your win-loss record over the last forty years--there's nothing inherently magical about football in nebraska. I often sense from nebraska fans (and I assure you, this isn't a limited sampling) that they do feel they're owed something. In their minds, past accomplishments make them special. In the inadvertantly wise words of Janet Jackson, "What have you done for me lately?"

If you were actually that "classy" you wouldn't have to tell me about it: What a bunch of self-righteous crap. "You know, we clap for the opponents, win or lose?" Yeah, that's great, and I'm sure your fans do it for a bunch of different reasons, and I'm getting an increasing sense that most of the nebraska fans clap so they can feel good about themselves and then tell everybody that they did it. I think the tradition started out of respect for the game, but at the point that many nebraska fans began validating their entire existance through the success of their team, the overatures of sportsmanship became self-serving.

The classiness of the nebraska fans was called into question, NOT when some overzealous git wrote "Sal is dead, go big red" below the lincoln city limit sign (hey, we've got our bad fans too), but rather when thousands of red polyester-clad citizens of nebraska drove past that sign without taking it down. I did take it down, or at least the one I saw...there were apparently many.

Nebraska fans, please don't tell me you're classy. One, I hate that word (ever since some crazy girl who rode my schoolbus in rural Oregon wore a shirt emblazoned with the legend "touch of class" and the depiction of a sparkly rose--circa 1979). Two, I'll be the judge of your class. But I'm really not seeing it.

Kudos to the husker fans who do hang out here at allbuffs. They take some abuse, and occasssionally get frustrated, but you gotta admit, they're fun to have around.

Another item. I realize that people can't be judged by the team they root for on an individual basis. But I do happen to believe in fan culture (as I believe in national culture--if you don't you should join me here at NATO), and it's my impression of that culture that I'm addressing in the above email.

Final point: I've got too much spare time...

Nice edit lady. (Oops, now I am doing it!)

yes, we all are well aware that you like to play the part of a sanctimonious hypocrite with the sentence structure of borat. obsession and biterness noted.

amazing. you went to all this trouble and still have yet to make a lucid point.

Yeah, they kind of conveniently forgot to say that NU also put 51 up in that loss. KU whipping NU like they did is a little more interesting of a conversation.

Joe Ganz did get a "Star Of The Spring", so we have that going for us....which is nice!!

Oh yeah, and call it whatever you want, make fun of it however you feel....but the bottom line is that the die-hard Buff fans deep down inside wish that they had the following (and tradition for that matter) that NU has. Plenty of you seem content on proving that fact on a daily.

And you still suck. That hasn't been lost on anybody.

IMO - 80k fans at a scrimmage is a big deal. Just as 2k fans at a Hawkins pep rally.

I get tired of hearing how passionate SEC fans are about football. Look at what has happened at KU, MU, CU, NU etc. in the past few years.

Besides there is something special about college athletics. No big salaries, no hold outs and not premadonnas. As Hawkins said "It's division I football". While the colege game may not be perfect it is still "good".

You can make excuses for why team x has 80k and team y has 20k because they have more to choose from but big deal.

So NU had 80k at the spring game good for them and good for college football. What ever floats your boat. Maybe it's a sign of good things to come. Maybe they will put on the field a competitive product next year...........well maybe a couple of years from now but the point is that college football is fun when you don't know going in who's going to win. What unknown kid is going to bust one loose and change the game. Who's going to make the hit that causes a fumble that turns the game around.

So they are all pumped up about 80 k in the stands. CU still won the game last year and should be expected to win this year. One can brag all they want about fans, support etc. but unless it translates into wins it's just a feel good. Feel good al lyou want until you provi it on the field. I say enjoy your 80k, it's good for college football. It's a darn sight better than walking away from your team when they are down. Have fun, it's only a game.........or at least it is until you loose.

I have no doubt that if Colorado didnt have Air Force, CSU, the Broncos, Avs, Nuggets we would have that same support for CU. Its easy to support Nebraska when that is the only athletic even in the entire state!

Trouble with that theory is that Texas has how many schools? 2 pro teams in each sport? The deal in CO isn't that we have too much to do, it's that very few of us are from here and have any ties to this place that run back to college. We end up having to ask people to support a team they have no history with and since we haven't had the perennial success of one of the big names it is tough to get them excited.

as our success builds a little our fan base will build a little. As the success sticks around so will the fans. It takes years to get 80k people to come see your ****ty team.

IMO - 80k fans at a scrimmage is a big deal. Just as 2k fans at a Hawkins pep rally.

I get tired of hearing how passionate SEC fans are about football. Look at what has happened at KU, MU, CU, NU etc. in the past few years.

Besides there is something special about college athletics. No big salaries, no hold outs and not premadonnas. As Hawkins said "It's division I football". While the colege game may not be perfect it is still "good".

You can make excuses for why team x has 80k and team y has 20k because they have more to choose from but big deal.

So NU had 80k at the spring game good for them and good for college football. What ever floats your boat. Maybe it's a sign of good things to come. Maybe they will put on the field a competitive product next year...........well maybe a couple of years from now but the point is that college football is fun when you don't know going in who's going to win. What unknown kid is going to bust one loose and change the game. Who's going to make the hit that causes a fumble that turns the game around.

So they are all pumped up about 80 k in the stands. CU still won the game last year and should be expected to win this year. One can brag all they want about fans, support etc. but unless it translates into wins it's just a feel good. Feel good al lyou want until you provi it on the field. I say enjoy your 80k, it's good for college football. It's a darn sight better than walking away from your team when they are down. Have fun, it's only a game.........or at least it is until you loose.

Outstanding post and I couldn't agree with you more...................:nod:

Trouble with that theory is that Texas has how many schools?* 2 pro teams in each sport?* The deal in CO isn't that we have too much to do, it's that very few of us are from here and have any ties to this place that run back to college.* We end up having to ask people to support a team they have no history with and since we haven't had the perennial success of one of the big names it is tough to get them excited.* as our success builds a little our fan base will build a little.* As the success sticks around so will the fans.* It takes years to get 80k people to come see your ****ty team.
I think your right and I think you guys will start seeing more and more showing up to your spring game and your regular season games each season. I mean let's be honest here if all us Nebraska fans have to brag about are the 80K + that were in the stands on Saturday, then we are pretty pathetic in that respect. I just want to see our team playing with passion again and fire. I want to see some swagger in their step and if they do these things the losses wouldn't be so bad to some people. I expect us at the best to go 8-4 next season. A more realistic record is probably 7-5 and that's a step in the right direction. As your program gets better and better recruits and moves closer to competing for the Big XII title and NC the fans will show up. Hawk is a good coach and I think he is taking your program in the right direction. I would much rather have CU and NU facing one another every year with the Big XII north title on the line then one of them competing for the last spot with ISU.

I think your right and I think you guys will start seeing more and more showing up to your spring game and your regular season games each season. I mean let's be honest here if all us Nebraska fans have to brag about are the 80K + that were in the stands on Saturday, then we are pretty pathetic in that respect. I just want to see our team playing with passion again and fire. I want to see some swagger in their step and if they do these things the losses wouldn't be so bad to some people. I expect us at the best to go 8-4 next season. A more realistic record is probably 7-5 and that's a step in the right direction. As your program gets better and better recruits and moves closer to competing for the Big XII title and NC the fans will show up. Hawk is a good coach and I think he is taking your program in the right direction. I would much rather have CU and NU facing one another every year with the Big XII north title on the line then one of them competing for the last spot with ISU.

Couldn't agree more.

Back