What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

cronkhite moment.

This year has been discouraging, but we are one year removed from beating OU and Texas Tech. Tech looks like a pretty good team tonight.

This year has been frustrating as hell, but I don't think the team's record is a sign of regression. Looking at all the factors - the lack of juniors and seniors, the redshirts, the injuries - this was bound to happen. I think we will be a very different team in 2009 and 2010.

I hope you're right because I'm getting sick of excuses. There is more than just injuries and inexperience hindering this team right now. Not to mention we're going to be young on defense next year. At some point, it is just time to win some freaking games.

I hope you're right because I'm getting sick of excuses. There is more than just injuries and inexperience hindering this team right now. Not to mention we're going to be young on defense next year. At some point, it is just time to win some freaking games.

I think the staff could have done a better job. But the sky isn't falling either.

for you non-historically minded Buffs, walter cronkhite was the most respected television newscaster ever. before cable and all the rest, america trusted what cronkhite had to say every night on the news.

he was known for his measured, thoughtful approach to the news. basically, if he opined on something, it was considered the gold standard of news analysis.

in the vietnam war, when the north vietnamese basically lit up the entire us defensive position in the tet offensive, cronkhite broadcast that the vietnam war was, as of then, unwinnable. this was probably the final turning point in the complete erosion of public support for the war in the us.

today, altho i am certainly no cronkhite, nor do i claim to be, i believe that i have just experienced my cronkhite moment with regard to hawkins and staff at CU.

this loss to atm is pretty much the nail in the coffin. it will take virtually a miracle to get this team to a bowl game and we are now looking at THREE consecutive losing seasons, right in the face.

it could still get turned around, but it is highly unlikely at this point. i want to believe we are revisiting the Coach Mac era in year 3 but it feels a lot more like the fairbanks regime.

the team looks lost, unathletic, and completely unable to execute. the special teams continue to stink at a level never before seen at CU. the playcalling is pathetic. a sweep from the 2 yard line when you are actually successfully running between the tackles? follow that with a pass from a cold qb? absurd.

yeah, we've been snakebit and i have no doubt that if more guys stay healthy and eligible, the season looks a lot different. but, sometimes you gotta make your own breaks. this staff is not getting it done. period.

i will, as always, hope for the best. i think they are likely to beat isu at folsom so that just leaves them one upset from bowl eligible. it isn't totally impossible.

the state of the program is beyond discouraging right now. we've become baylor. except, now, baylor is probably better than CU.

when they write the epithet on the hawkins' era at CU, i strongly suspect the first line will be "his assistants did him in."

I'm probably as frustrated by this loss as any loss by any team in a long time. This is not a Mizzou game or UT game where we simply were outclassed. This is a game that should have been won. CU was the better team on the field. Watching the QB tango, seeing a sure TD drive ****ed up by a Reevsian reverse call not seen since it was run to consistent failure by Steve Sewell, the meltdown after half all made me take a HARD look at where this.program is with this staff. And I'm less distraught than I thought I'd be.

If this is still a five year plan, and I think it is, the KSU game was game one of the second half. It also happened to be Hansen's first game. I think that is significant. Although Cody seemed to play a bit better today, I think.we're seeing he is not a good fit for what we're trying to do. I think we finally have a talent that is a fit. We have a ton of RB talent, all young. We have two big, young OTs. While we need WRs, the other pieces are in place for the offense to start to come together. I do think somebody other than Helfbitch needs to lead that process, tho. Defensively, the LBs should be a big strength. The rest of the D will all nned work next year. But, bottom line, I think year 1 was hopeless from day 1. Year 2 was probably doomed to mediocrity in hindsight, as we tried to shoehorn a miscast QB into an otherwise young lineup. Year 3 is rapidly going to ****. Partly from coaching, partly youth, partly injuries. And partly now because we are back to step one, with.a true freshman QB in his 3rd game. The learning curve qe thought we qere past is back. But I do believe we are taking the first steps in the right direction now, putting the pieces in place. If true, this staff gets two more years to make something of those pieces. They need to get it in gear.

Last edited:
Give Hawk 2 more years...then I will jump on your bandwagon....

At this point Hawk does not deserve 2 more years. He needs to tell me, us/Buff nation, why he should continue with the current configuration (i.e staff) as he designed.

To me Hawk does not get to go forward without questioning nor making unwanted changes.

Like Cronkite, we see this war as unwinnable as strategized.

I'm probably as frustrated by this loss as any loss by any team in a long time. This is not a Mizzou game or UT game where we simply were outclassed. This is a game that should have been won. CU was the better team on the field. Watching the QB tango, seeing a sure TD drive ****ed up by a Reevsian reverse call not seen since it was run to consistent failure by Steve Sewell, the meltdown after half all made me take a HARD look at where this.program is with this staff. And I'm less distraught than I thought I'd be.

If this is still a five year plan, and I think it is, the KSU game was game one of the second half. It also happened to be Hansen's first game. I think that is significant. Although Cody seemed to play a bit better today, I think.we're seeing he is not a good fit for what we're trying to do. I think we finally have a talent that is a fit. We have a ton of RB talent, all young. We have two big, young OTs. While we need WRs, the other pieces are in place for the offense to start to come together. I do think somebody other than Helfbitch needs to lead that process, tho. Defensively, the LBs should be a big strength. The rest of the D will all nned work next year. But, bottom line, I think year 1 was hopeless from day 1. Year 2 was probably doomed to mediocrity in hindsight, as we tried to shoehorn a miscast QB into an otherwise young lineup. Year 3 is rapidly going to ****. Partly from coaching, partly youth, partly injuries. And partly now because we are back to step one, with.a true freshman QB in his 3rd game. The learning curve qe thought we qere past is back. But I do believe we are taking the first steps in the right direction now, putting the pieces in place. If true, this staff gets two more years to make something of those pieces. They need to get it in gear.

Quit smoking the junk. This is a badly coached team. PERIOD!

STOP THE EXCUSES!

STOP THE EXCUSES!

UH, where did I say the coaches were doing well? I said they need to step it up, but that we are getting more pieces in place.

Sorry if a thought more complex than "Hawkins ****ing sucks" confused you.

STOP THE EXCUSES!

Dude, they're still a sub 500 team even if the coaches were perfect and no one was injured.....

This team is a whole lot of S L O W

I'll judge after I see what this next recruiting class looks like and the 2009 season

Notre Dame set the standard three year rule for big time schools.......

Let's just say Hawk is on a five year plan:cry:

Last edited:
UH, where did I say the coaches were doing well? I said they need to step it up, but that we are getting more pieces in place.

Sorry if a thought more complex than "Hawkins ****ing sucks" confused you.

We are getting more pieces in place? Seems to me there are some"pieces" missing to this puzzle.

In other words, the staff hasn't gotten the job done.

I wanted to be more sophisticated then the staff ****ing sucks, How'd I do JB?:smile2:

STOP THE EXCUSES!

I disagree. ith the youth e have at the corners e could be getting torched every eek but the secondary has done fairly good job this year. In previous years under previous coaches the corners ould have been a huge problem but our kids have been coached ell and are performing above expectations despite their lack of experience.

Some parts of the team are not being coached ell, others are.

Shouldn't we be seeing progress by now? To borrow a phrase from the overwrought anology that sparked this thread, shouldn't we be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel?

The football program is stagnant at best. If we don't bust out dramatically in 2009, Hawkins should get his walking papers. And I don't see that (i.e. big improvement) happening.

Shouldn't we be seeing progress by now? To borrow a phrase from the overwrought anology that sparked this thread, shouldn't we be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel?

The football program is stagnant at best. If we don't bust out dramatically in 2009, Hawkins should get his walking papers. And I don't see that (i.e. big improvement) happening.

Please... what were the expectations coming in? Did you (or anyone else for that matter) think that CU's tradition was going to carry far enough to have an Alabama-like turnaround? Let me preface this next thought by saying that I friggin' HATE Notre Dame, but look at their situation. The cupboard wasn't necessarily bare when Charlie Weiss got there, but the last 2 classes of the Willingham era added to the half class that CW put together his first offseason were pretty bad, even if you don't buy into the whole star system. He's put together back to back PHENOMENAL classes in South Bend, and they're just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I, like some other posters in this thread, took a long, hard look at the program after yesterday's game. One of the major issues that bothers me about where they are right now (and I think that a lot of people would agree with me) is that there's no continuity on the playcalling. However, there's also been no continuity in the offensive two-deep, either. Let's not simply dismiss injuries as an excuse, because frankly it's hard to get any sort of rhythm or identity established when you're lining up a different team every week.

If this crap is going on in '10, I'll be pretty upset, but objectively I think it's hard to work up any serious vitriol for the staff right now.

whoever neg repped me for my post in this thread, whatever...

next time give me a reason for the rep other than three dots, and don't be a pussy and sign your name to your rep comment.

fyi...

:huh:

The expectations issue is an interesting one. I think there is a huge disparity between those that keep bringing up "well, I was expecting this before the season, if you didn't you are unrealistic/don't know what you are talking about" and those that were actually predicting the team to be this bad this year.

A lot of people who keep up bringing "expectations" IMO are probably a lot of the same people who thought the Buffs would win 8 games this year, or 7 at least.

It now looks like 5 is the most probable, or 4. Injuries, yeah... but there's other stuff going on IMO.

A lot of people who keep up bringing "expectations" IMO are probably a lot of the same people who thought the Buffs would win 8 games this year, or 7 at least.

I saw 8 wins on this schedule. CSU, EWU, either WVA or FSU, A&M, ISU, KSU, OSU and *ebraska, with the possibility of pulling the upset at KU. I can see now the error in my thinking. I didn't foresee OSU being this strong, and we're simply not that good. :sad1:

I saw 8 wins on this schedule. CSU, EWU, either WVA or FSU, A&M, ISU, KSU, OSU and *ebraska, with the possibility of pulling the upset at KU. I can see now the error in my thinking. I didn't foresee OSU being this strong, and we're simply not that good. :sad1:

I wonder if there is a way for matt to make claiming your reps mandadory. It certainly seems as though the anonymous negative reps have increased since the netturds folks migrated this way.

I wonder if there is a way for matt to make claiming your reps mandadory. It certainly seems as though the anonymous negative reps have increased since the netturds folks migrated this way.

What are you worrying about? Random newbs don't carry any kind of gleeb stick anyway.

Back