What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU loss at Northern Colorado

Certainly eyebrows raised. But he's been down before. I wouldn't put the last shovel oi dirt on him yet.

Last edited:
Listened to the CSU pre game show on the way to dinner tonight and Larry sounded drugged up or really drunk. Something was definitely not right.

Aside from some good years with miles, they have basically been on the same level as CU (read, mostly trash) for a long time. Do you think the fans care if they are missing dances 2 years running at this point?

Don't know how serious the humor is but even for a sheep I would hate to see him slipping on his recovery. Substance addictions can destroy lives.

Hopee he is still clean and sober and stays that way.

Don't know how serious the humor is but even for a sheep I would hate to see him slipping on his recovery. Substance addictions can destroy lives.

Hopee he is still clean and sober and stays that way.
Yeah. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. I finally watched the CU vs CSU game tonight. That dude is really volatile. I almost think the stress of losing is hard for him to deal with.

Larry Eustachy is as good a hoops coach as CSU could realistically hope for. The trajectory might not be good now, but it wouldn't get any better with a new coach there. Firing him would be a huge mistake, IMO.

Aside from some good years with miles, they have basically been on the same level as CU (read, mostly trash) for a long time. Do you think the fans care if they are missing dances 2 years running at this point?

Really was too bad Miles left. Thought he had something good going. Sounded like him and the previous AD didn't like each other much.

Really was too bad Miles left. Thought he had something good going. Sounded like him and the previous AD didn't like each other much.

It's the fate of CSU and schools like it. When they get a coach like Miles it is just a matter of how long it will be until he gets an offer that CSU can't hope to match. They had the same situation with Sparkles and if Bobo wins he will be gone as well.

The only way they keep a coach is if either he doesn't win or if he has some factor that makes his unappealing. Eusachy has to overcome his past, when they had Sonny his age scared away a lot of schools.

It's the fate of CSU and schools like it. When they get a coach like Miles it is just a matter of how long it will be until he gets an offer that CSU can't hope to match. They had the same situation with Sparkles and if Bobo wins he will be gone as well.

The only way they keep a coach is if either he doesn't win or if he has some factor that makes his unappealing. Eusachy has to overcome his past, when they had Sonny his age scared away a lot of schools.

It sounded like Miles left because of the AD switch more than anything. Didn't want to stick around for the cluster**** that was the on-campus stadium campaign. Graham didn't even make their first round tourney game because of some surgery or something.

Ultimately when you base your entire program around transfers and Juco's, you are going to have years like this. Not surprised at all.

Ultimately when you base your entire program around transfers and Juco's, you are going to have years like this. Not surprised at all.
I don't follow basketball as much until tournament time, but isn't building a program with JUCO and transfer guys a way for new coaches to compete immediately? Hasn't Eustachy been there long enough to build it primarily through recruiting?

I don't follow basketball as much until tournament time, but isn't building a program with JUCO and transfer guys a way for new coaches to compete immediately? Hasn't Eustachy been there long enough to build it primarily through recruiting?

High school recruiting in BBall is way more risky than football and takes a lot more effort and relationship building, which LE doesn't seem to care about or have time for.

High school recruiting in BBall is way more risky than football and takes a lot more effort and relationship building, which LE doesn't seem to care about or have time for.

Larry hasn't personally recruited a HS basketball player for years according to someone I believe on this topic.

Larry hasn't personally recruited a HS basketball player for years according to someone I believe on this topic.

I'd believe it, but I'm not so inclined to mark this down as a black mark on Larry's work ethic or desire (NOT saying you are, but just in case inferred from the previous posts). I would imagine his deathly fear of flying plays a large factor into his inability to hit the recruiting trail hard. Most, if not all, of us do not know Eustachy, so I guess it's possible that he actually is lazy and doesn't like recruiting HS kids. However, I'm giving him benefit of the doubt, and saying his inability to fly hampers his ability to really recruit.

Less risk just because of numbers I'd assume. 1-2 guys makes you or breaks you.

I'd say that Larry is onto something, for CSU anyway. He can get any kid that meets NCAA criteria into CSU and he can reload every year. It's hard to argue with his success. He will have some misses though, but it's harder to miss on a kid playing Juco than on a High School kid (who doesn't have that top level AAU background).

Less risk just because of numbers I'd assume. 1-2 guys makes you or breaks you.

I'd say that Larry is onto something, for CSU anyway. He can get any kid that meets NCAA criteria into CSU and he can reload every year. It's hard to argue with his success. He will have some misses though, but it's harder to miss on a kid playing Juco than on a High School kid (who doesn't have that top level AAU background).

Less risk just because you get more time to see how a kid develops and he plays against better competition so it is easier to evaluate.

Larry could have a top 25 team next year. Then barely have a .500 team the following year. I truly doubt CSU cares, just as long as they beat CU every few years and put a tournament team together every few years. Guy seems like a complete wack job and probably has some to do with him not recruiting HS.

It sounded like Miles left because of the AD switch more than anything. Didn't want to stick around for the cluster**** that was the on-campus stadium campaign. Graham didn't even make their first round tourney game because of some surgery or something.

I don't doubt that he wanted out.

It's also easy to see that ****braska was easily able pay him more and give him a budget that dwarfs what CSU can spend. kNU is still a football school, fusker football is the official religion up there but their BB budget is in a different league than what CSU will spend.

Plus Nubs had just built the new arena. It's not a great gig, but it was a much better gig (other than trading a great town in Ft Collins for friggin' Lincoln).

Why is that less risk than football or was that not your original point.

Well you take a lot more kids in football and one player doesn't have as big an impact as basketball. But mostly IMO, the transition to college basketball seems harder than the transition to college football for most kids. Obviously there are some one and dones but it's different because football is so specialized where in bball you have to do so many things (like playing offense and defense).

I agree about the first part, less numbers.
I see less Higg rated flameouts in MBB. Usually self inflicted

Well you take a lot more kids in football and one player doesn't have as big an impact as basketball. But mostly IMO, the transition to college basketball seems harder than the transition to college football for most kids. Obviously there are some one and dones but it's different because football is so specialized where in bball you have to do so many things (like playing offense and defense).

Academically, I believe that basketball being a 2 semester sport makes it much more challenging on the kids. In football, they can kind of load up the credits for the spring and summer. It would be good for the hoops student-athletes if they could do the same in the summer/fall.

Football is more physically grueling but basketball looks to be much harder on academics.

In addition to the fall-spring issue mentioned by Nik there is also the fact that football players spend way more time on campus. Most football teams only leave campus for games 5-6 times a season. Fly out on a Friday, play Saturday, and be home for Monday classes.

BB players have two games a week so even when they are home they usually have at least one game on a school night. Then add when they are travelling for a games during the week and they have a lot more road games to disrupt the schedule.

Back