What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU Pre-Game Thread

Ken Pom has us as the 56th team, Rams as the 112th overall.
Adjusted efficiency and others #s:

Their offense is very efficient (#46), but their D is bottom 3d of the country (#241). Effective Height is also bottom third (#280)

CU is very good when they don't turn the ball over, but the turnovers hold the offense down to #97, but our defense is very good at #39.

teams are making 55% at the free throw line against us (3d in the country), which is about to change since CSU makes 77%, good for top 20 in the country.

If we keep turnovers down and play some D, we should win the game. Although we turn the ball over a LOT (326 in the country), CSU never gets turnovers (#344)
Stupid question...why do the stat guys track Free Throw % Made Against? Because they can? Seems like a meaningless stat.

Stupid question...why do the stat guys track Free Throw % Made Against? Because they can? Seems like a meaningless stat.
I'm no expert, but I think it's because FTA are tracked. Otherwise, the Free throw conversion rate is miscellaneous.

Basically: stats guys like stats.

I'm no expert, but I think it's because FTA are tracked. Otherwise, the Free throw conversion rate is miscellaneous.

Basically: stats guys like stats.
Maybe someone should look into the mystical powers of singing "you're not going to make it". Or Brick baby.

Ken Pom has us as the 56th team, Rams as the 112th overall.
Adjusted efficiency and others #s:

Their offense is very efficient (#46), but their D is bottom 3d of the country (#241). Effective Height is also bottom third (#280)

CU is very good when they don't turn the ball over, but the turnovers hold the offense down to #97, but our defense is very good at #39.

teams are making 55% at the free throw line against us (3d in the country), which is about to change since CSU makes 77%, good for top 20 in the country.

If we keep turnovers down and play some D, we should win the game. Although we turn the ball over a LOT (326 in the country), CSU never gets turnovers (#344)

Good work, Subaru-'Tini!

Damn tini for giving you an excuse to partake in low brow humor whenever stats are involved. Also, I wore a scarf to the CU game last night.

Scarfs are nice. I asked for one for Christmas. Only a real man can pull that look off, though.

Need to find the guy who doesn't do anything particularly well in their other 30 games but sinks 5 from deep. We seem to encounter "that guy" when we face mid-majors

The game is on ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain, Southwest, and Northwest. I think it might be possible to get those channels with DirecTV and an out of market sports pack.

This is what I get when I put in a Honolulu zip and DirecTV as provider at ROOT's site. "Sorry, but your zip code is outside of the ROOT SPORTS network territory. Please contact your provider regarding potential availability via out-of-market sports packages." Might be possible to tune to 683 or 684 on DTV with said sports packages. Best option might be a sports bar. Game time is 9 am. As far as I know ROOT doesn't stream at all, but there might be a crappy illegal stream.
I just looked up the northwest package on the root website and it looks like I will be watching ****ing william and Mary take on virginia wtf? Where did you get your info about the north west @HRBuff ? P.S. I am assuming HR stands for highlands ranch?

EDIT: I was looking at saturday's schedule not sunday. big sigh of relief

Last edited:

@jgisland will be able to answer this better than I, but here goes. I make fun of the stat quite a bit, but @Rugged made a damn good point last night - a small portion of it can be taken in to factor how smart a team is at fouling. i.e. if your opponents are shooting poorly from the line, it means you're fouling the right opponents. For example, if CSU fouls us on Sunday, would you rather see Josh going to the line (82.5%) or Tory (41.2%)?

But yeah, most of the credit goes to Brick Baby.

Just gotta say s/o to the engineers of this board for setting up an amazing layout.

I just attempted to browse ramnation to see what they were saying about this game and to see if they had any good input on their team. I can't figure out that site for the life of me. No one deserves that horrible layout.

Just gotta say s/o to the engineers of this board for setting up an amazing layout.

I just attempted to browse ramnation to see what they were saying about this game and to see if they had any good input on their team. I can't figure out that site for the life of me. No one deserves that horrible layout.
They do.

@jgisland will be able to answer this better than I, but here goes. I make fun of the stat quite a bit, but @Rugged made a damn good point last night - a small portion of it can be taken in to factor how smart a team is at fouling. i.e. if your opponents are shooting poorly from the line, it means you're fouling the right opponents. For example, if CSU fouls us on Sunday, would you rather see Josh going to the line (82.5%) or Tory (41.2%)?

Interesting point. Hadn't thought about that. But then again, how much of who gets fouled, is determined by the defense? During an end of game scenario, the defense does. But during the rest of the game, it seems to be more driven by style of the offense (teams that consistently work inside or drive to the hoop vs teams that sit outside and bomb away).

Not just who you foul, but when you foul. If a guy comes off the bench and hasn't gotten a shot up, foul him before you give him a layup. Make his cold ass hit two. You get a big guy gasping for breath needing a break? Don't give him an easy bucket, make him earn it while he's fatigued. Obviously do your best to never foul shooters.

I would think CSU has to be even more smart about how physical they want to get. We're apparently 2 players deeper than them (I'm comparing significant minutes to date; CSU has about 6-7 guys that have played at or above 100 minutes, while we have 8-9 at that level. Maybe that also affects our TO stats, since we have more guys touching the ball.

BTW LBSU also has a deeper bench than the Rams, so it'll be interesting how that plays out tonight.

I just looked up the northwest package on the root website and it looks like I will be watching ****ing william and Mary take on virginia wtf? Where did you get your info about the north west @HRBuff ? P.S. I am assuming HR stands for highlands ranch?

EDIT: I was looking at saturday's schedule not sunday. big sigh of relief

http://mattsarzsports.com/Season/Contents/basketball201516#.VmDir5Z-ynM

Great site for college bball and football TV info.

You got me heh.

Back