What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU stadium

I'm shocked that anyone beside CSquared actually believes that CSU could get a P5 invite someday. Did some of you starting drinking early today?

I'm shocked that anyone beside CSquared actually believes that CSU could get a P5 invite someday. Did some of you starting drinking early today?

Go to sheepnation and you will find at least 20 posters who share the same delusion.

Crazy considering how much Frank has done for the university.

It's like a kid throwing a tantrum, because his crazy uncle convinces his Dad to buy the kid a luxury sedan if the Uncle comes up with half the money. Of course, the uncle doesn't even come close and the dad has to choose between keeping a roof over his kid's head or financing the car on his own with no way to make the payments. All the kid cares about is that he doesn't get his new BMW and hates his dad.

It's like a kid throwing a tantrum, because his crazy uncle convinces his Dad to buy the kid a luxury sedan if the Uncle comes up with half the money. Of course, the uncle doesn't even come close and the dad has to choose between keeping a roof over his kid's head or financing the car on his own with no way to make the payments. All the kid cares about is that he doesn't get his new BMW and hates his dad.

pretty specific comparison. Did you ever get your BMW?

I think they could ultimately end up in a power conference especially if there end up being 6 power conferences of 16. They have loads of work to do and the last couple of days have not helped them. But if they think long term and work toward 5 and 10 year goals, they might be able to pull it off.

I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm not laughing at all their **** ups but they are only permanently ****ed if they choose not to look at this over the long haul.

The reason we ended up as badly ****ed as we have been is terrible leadership and especially no balls and no vision. We are only now starting to crawl out of the mire. Their guy had balls but not the plan to back it up--pretty pitiful actually.

I think that perhaps all this came down to the vote yesterday. Frank saw the writing on the wall with the vote and wants to go smaller, JG says it's showdown time and now they HAVE to go big! That's a pretty big difference in outlooks. Especially when the failure of the AD to pull it off means the higher guy might take the fall too. And yes, with JG gone, not meeting any goals for fundraising means they can blame the doners and kill to project. And quite honestly, IMO, killing it means no chance to the big show. If they wanted the big show, they needed to have an overflow with the stadium they have, and they didn't have that. A stadium twice as big means it is 4 to 5 times as empty....and that won't impress anyone.

Now the question become what to do with the coaches? I can see no raises coming...ever... and both could be gone sooner than later, to be filled in with much lower paid coaches.

This is my speculation, but from what I see, CSU is trying to polish a turd and it doesn't look good for them in the next ten years.

I think they could ultimately end up in a power conference especially if there end up being 6 power conferences of 16. They have loads of work to do and the last couple of days have not helped them. But if they think long term and work toward 5 and 10 year goals, they might be able to pull it off.

I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm not laughing at all their **** ups but they are only permanently ****ed if they choose not to look at this over the long haul.

The reason we ended up as badly ****ed as we have been is terrible leadership and especially no balls and no vision. We are only now starting to crawl out of the mire. Their guy had balls but not the plan to back it up--pretty pitiful actually.

I think JG has the long term vision they needed, but didn't have the doner money to back it up. I think things could have changed drastically for them if people had stepped up with the money. Just like maybe Bohn had the vision, but could not raise the money to get it moving. Now we have the right guy to get the checkbooks opened up and things are being built. So I guess, either Frank wants to go much smaller, or he was watching the CU/Bohn/George situation and decided he needed someone who can get the money flowing to get this done. Who is that person, if that is the plan? Lubestick?

The money flowing stuff cracks me up, because the only reason some like Graham is hired in the first place is because of his ties to money. He had no chops to be AD, just a their second biggest donor.

I think that perhaps all this came down to the vote yesterday. Frank saw the writing on the wall with the vote and wants to go smaller, JG says it's showdown time and now they HAVE to go big! That's a pretty big difference in outlooks. Especially when the failure of the AD to pull it off means the higher guy might take the fall too. And yes, with JG gone, not meeting any goals for fundraising means they can blame the doners and kill to project. And quite honestly, IMO, killing it means no chance to the big show. If they wanted the big show, they needed to have an overflow with the stadium they have, and they didn't have that. A stadium twice as big means it is 4 to 5 times as empty....and that won't impress anyone.

Now the question become what to do with the coaches? I can see no raises coming...ever... and both could be gone sooner than later, to be filled in with much lower paid coaches.

This is my speculation, but from what I see, CSU is trying to polish a turd and it doesn't look good for them in the next ten years.

They have never shown the kind of support that puts them anywhere near what a power conference would want to see, just hasn't happened.

I have always felt that their place should be as an elite FCS program, not a bottomfeeder BCS program.

They have some greatt fans, as passionate as any. Problem is they are way to few and not backed by any substantial following of casual fans. Football at CSU just isn't important enough to enough people to ever be a viable big time program.

They have never shown the kind of support that puts them anywhere near what a power conference would want to see, just hasn't happened.

I have always felt that their place should be as an elite FCS program, not a bottomfeeder BCS program.

They have some greatt fans, as passionate as any. Problem is they are way to few and not backed by any substantial following of casual fans. Football at CSU just isn't important enough to enough people to ever be a viable big time program.

They have fewer football season ticket holders than CU has basketball season ticket holders. Think about that for a minute.

I was going to ride my bike a couple of blocks to the new stadium, looks like I'll have to stick to the seven-mile, one-way route to Hughes.

I was going to ride my bike a couple of blocks to the new stadium, looks like I'll have to stick to the seven-mile, one-way route to Hughes.
Do you have a dirt bike? You can still have fun in the parking lot.

Wow. Is it really a one-way street to get out there? I have never been to Hughes. Been to FoCo a number of times and seen a basketball game at CSU, but never been out to the football stadium.

Little House on the Prairie

View attachment 14595

1b571f480b80e81c78bd6a39b8ab5d0d359009f175516abc43473e8a0f1625b9.jpg

This is pretty much how I've always seen them too. FCS would be a great place for their football program. Hell, they'd even be in top 10 in FCS attendance (8th going by last season).

I've said it before, but what completely baffles me about this whole on-campus stadium pipe dream is this thought that average attendance will suddenly be in the high 30k or 40k range. They've never averaged anything close to that on a consistent basis, even during their best run in the mid 90's. The interest simply doesn't exist and never will.

This is pretty much how I've always seen them too. FCS would be a great place for their football program. Hell, they'd even be in top 10 in FCS attendance (8th going by last season).

I've said it before, but what completely baffles me about this whole on-campus stadium pipe dream is this thought that average attendance will suddenly be in the high 30k or 40k range. They've never averaged anything close to that on a consistent basis, even during their best run in the mid 90's. The interest simply doesn't exist and never will.

See your problem is using logic about their attendance.

According to the noon sports talk guys (Joe & Irv, Sandy & Drew and even Terry Frei) Frank still wants and supports an on campus stadium.

According to the noon sports talk guys (Joe & Irv, Sandy & Drew and even Terry Frei) Frank still wants and supports an on campus stadium.

That was never in doubt. A reasonable on-campus stadium wouldn't cost much more than what the price tag would be to bring Hughes up to standards with the road, parking, premium seating and amenity improvements that stadium absolutely needs.

Frank should support an on-campus stadium.

What I think he supports, though, is something more like Houston is doing and less like Graham's "Jerry World North" fantasy.

A $250 mllion 45K-seat stadium with all the the bells and whistles is not only way more than they need, they simply won't be able to fund it. But an on-campus stadium in the 20-30K range coming in at around 100K or less does make some sense.

There's a number of good examples out there of what would be much more appropriate for CSU and their small fanbase, and these were all built within the last 7 years so costs wouldn't be that much more now:

UCF - 45K, $55 million, Opened 2007
Akron - 30K, $61 million, Opened 2009
Florida Atlantic - 29K, $70 million, Opened 2011
North Texas - 30K, $78 million, Opened 2011
UNC-Charlotte - 15K, $45 million, Opened 2013 (can be easily expanded to 40K)
Tulane - 30K, $75 million, Opening this season
Houston - 40K, $120 million, Opening this season

Last edited:
They don't need to build a $250M 45K-seat stadium with all the the bells and whistles, but an on-campus stadium in the 20-30K range coming in at around 100K or less makes some sense.

There's a number of good examples out there of what would be much more appropriate for CSU and their small fanbase, and these were all built within the last 7 years so costs wouldn't be that much more now:

UCF - 45K, $55 million, Opened 2007
Akron - 30K, $61 million, Opened 2009
Florida Atlantic - 29K, $70 million, Opened 2011
UNC-Charlotte - 15K, $45 million, Opened 2013 (can be easily expanded to 40K)
Tulane - 30K, $75 million, Opening this season
Houston - 40K, $120 million, Opening this season

FIFY. Can't hardly build a house for $250K anymore.

Back