What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Assistant Coach Hiring Thread

Given that most of his connects are outside of Colorado, I don’t think we can conclude that his hire would necessarily make the Colorado OL crooting pipeline stronger than it’s been in a long time.
There are Colorado guys that have just left to go and play elsewhere and have been very successful, and we are not even given an ounce of consideration. I think he could have a nice presence in the state to at least show that they might want to go to CU

There are Colorado guys that have just left to go and play elsewhere and have been very successful, and we are not even given an ounce of consideration. I think he could have a nice presence in the state to at least show that they might want to go to CU
Understood. Just saying that he’s not the guy you’d hire if locking down CO is the priority.

They can have contact with them on campus, yes. They can't go on the road and recruit. For current players, they can't do any on-field coaching, but they can be there with the coaches. They can also talk with players in the facilities, attend meetings, do film study, etc with players and coaches.

Basically, Analysts just can't be on the practice or game field putting players through drills or coaching them directly.
Correct me if I am wrong, please, but my understanding is you can only have 9 people out in the field at any one time. While it is almost exclusively coaches, nothing prevents CP from "benching" a coach for a week and sending Sapp out to visit our top 10 DT targets. Then Sapp goes back to the bench.

Do I have that right?

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but my understanding is you can only have 9 people out in the field at any one time. While it is almost exclusively coaches, nothing prevents CP from "benching" a coach for a week and sending Sapp out to visit our top 10 DT targets. Then Sapp goes back to the bench.

Do I have that right?
quote-there-are-known-knowns-these-are-things-we-know-that-we-know-there-are-known-unknowns-donald-rumsfeld-25-42-14.jpg

Do I have that right?
I really don’t know. Things I’ve read have just stated they can’t have any direct on field coaching with players or off campus recruiting contact with recruits. Not quite sure though

I know that sounds funny in isolation, but in Project Management those are industry standard terms to describe sources of error in an analysis, an estimate, etc...
What are your thoughts on the idea that there are unknown knowns? I personally lean toward saying that I don't know. But there's a chance that if we explore this further I will realize that I did know but just didn't know it.

What are your thoughts on the idea that there are unknown knowns? I personally lean toward saying that I don't know. But there's a chance that if we explore this further I will realize that I did know but just didn't know it.
I Know Right Mean Girls GIF by filmeditor

Yeah, I don't hear that one, just the other three permutations.

If you meant known unknowns, that would describe things like:
  • We know there will be multiple cycles of design - prototype - test to verify the function, but we don't know how many cycles it will take before we have it dialed in
  • We know this geometry change will cost us for a tooling update, but we don't know if it will be a $5000 tweak or require scrapping the current tool and buying a new one at around $200k

Yeah, I don't hear that one, just the other three permutations.

If you meant known unknowns, that would describe things like:
  • We know there will be multiple cycles of design - prototype - test to verify the function, but we don't know how many cycles it will take before we have it dialed in
  • We know this geometry change will cost us for a tooling update, but we don't know if it will be a $5000 tweak or require scrapping the current tool and buying a new one at around $200k
No. I'm definitely talking about unknown knowns.

Rarely talked about because it's a thing people aren't consciously aware that they know. But it's there. They do know. But they don't know they know. But when they take the time to step back and wonder if there is something they don't know they know, they may not immediately know there is something they didn't know they knew... but they're likely to get an itch they feel down in their plums that they know something is there but maybe putting their finger on it is a bit out of reach.

No. I'm definitely talking about unknown knowns.

Rarely talked about because it's a thing people aren't consciously aware that they know. But it's there. They do know. But they don't know they know. But when they take the time to step back and wonder if there is something they don't know they know, they may not immediately know there is something they didn't know they knew... but they're likely to get an itch they feel down in their plums that they know something is there but maybe putting their finger on it is a bit out of reach.
Confused You Have No Idea GIF by Aurora Consulting - SBA EIDL Experts

This seems like the correct spot to break him in then.
Too conservative IMO.

A DL coach has to either recruit their ass off or coach their ass off. I don’t buy for a moment the logic Sapp was too talented to not coach the position.

It’s a paradox - justify that Sapp can recruit but can’t coach; yet, say he also can’t coach because the recruit isn’t good enough.

Fire or flood hire. Analyst/GA is a low production hire.

Wholeheartedly disagree. The best stick with the best. It’s not absolute but certainly 80/20 rule.
I think the disagreement here is actually I'm saying there's not much difference between any coach. They're all teaching the same stuff in regards to technique.

There's definitely bad coaches though.

I like Loadholt. Young guy who communicates in a way O'Boyle (who was mid 50s I think) couldn't. Got a buddy who works in OUs Athletic Department. He told me their staff really liked him. He's worked under Bill Bedenbaugh-one of the best OL coaches in the sport, and a guy I know Riley really wanted at SC.

We'll see what kind of recruiter he is.

Can't complain about hiring a Bedenbaugh protege
I'd like it even more if Matt Wells comes with him.

Another thought-I think Harrell can be hired over. Why not call Cale Gundy? I get why he left OU. Because of who CP is, he could easily pull that off without the OU exit becoming a huge part of the story. We'd be getting a guy with a big network in Texas and a ton of experience at the power 5 level. That would be huge on that side of the ball.

Too conservative IMO.

A DL coach has to either recruit their ass off or coach their ass off. I don’t buy for a moment the logic Sapp was too talented to not coach the position.

It’s a paradox - justify that Sapp can recruit but can’t coach; yet, say he also can’t coach because the recruit isn’t good enough.

Fire or flood hire. Analyst/GA is a low production hire.
It does seem conservative but it doesn't seem worth the risk.

I say his greatest asset is recruiting because he is charismatic, funny, and has a very recognizable name but I don't know for sure.

I don't know if he has the work ethic required to be an elite recruiter or good coach. Many coaches bemoan the lifestyle of being a coach. It is definitely not for everyone.

On the coaching front; I definitely think that he knows the position and can relate that to players. I don't buy into the "too talented to learn how to play" idea either. Being an effective coach is much more than that. There are a lot of soft and managerial skills that you need to have that you wouldn't get from being a player. You need to fit into the hierarchical structure of the coaching staff and defer to your coordinator and head coach. You need to be able to instill the program's culture to your position group. You need to manage placating different personalities.

It seems like a good idea to let him get his feet wet before giving him full responsibility.

Back