What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU at Auburn Gameday thread

Lot of good points Goose,

Dom playing like a guy who is confident and comfortable in his role. He knows he doesn't need to score a lot or do spectacular things, he just needs to make use of the weapons he has around him and not be a negative for the team. He did that very well. What I liked a lot was that when Dom was in there it didn't look like he was going to let our offense go stagnant like it has so often in the past, he kept the ball and his teammates moving and involved.

Jelly is a stablizing force out there. Might be the quietest 28 and 8 ever seen. Nothing spectacular, nothing that will show up on a highlight film, but lots of plays that will frustrate a defense. Also notable with Josh is that is seemed like he did a lot of his damage at moments when it was needed the most. His numbers came when the the game was in question and often when it

I am a Wes fan as well. I agree with you that he is thinking to much and expecting to do things instead of just playing. Once he relaxes he will become a major asset for us because he is the kind of player who can be disruptive on defense.

In the 2nd half I think we saw Dom really settle into his roll. Seemed like he was still struggling a bit in the first half, but he seemed to take some ownership of the offense in the 2nd and that is exactly what we need from him. For far too long CU pg's have been trying to replace Spencer Dinwiddie. They aren't going to. Period. Dom just needs to do what he was recruited so highly to do. Facilitate others.

Josh has worked hard on that midrange shot and its going to give defense fits. Very pretty stroke, especially for a big man.

I didn't see the Iowa St. game other than the very end. Physically, Dom does not look like the same guy. He looks a helluva lot stronger and more mature. I'll leave the analytics to the experts, but it seems to me that once these guys kind of meld together and figure out their roles, this will be a dangerous team. I'm especially encouraged at how we have played on the road the first two games. The road has not been good to us in the past, I don't think.

The biggest thing about Dom this year is that you notice when he's NOT on the court now. There's a drop off between him and the other guards on the roster. Last year that wasn't the case.

The biggest thing about Dom this year is that you notice when he's NOT on the court now. There's a drop off between him and the other guards on the roster. Last year that wasn't the case.
I love it when you are right.

As great as King was last night, Scott was the most dominate player on the floor. It's great to seem him asserting his will out there.

As great as King was last night, Scott was the most dominate player on the floor. It's great to seem him asserting his will out there.
This is what we want. We'll win a lot of games if we have a player whose offensive performance is talked about and praised more or as much as Scott's.

Yep.

Scott has to be the constant of big numbers with great efficiency. That plus great team defense is enough to win about half the games on the schedule.

The next level is finding a consistent #2.

And then there's the "Sweet 16 or Beyond" level where you have King, Fortune & XJ marked for double figure scoring, other guys getting hot some nights, and Dom delivering better than a 2/1 ratio.

It's possible for this team.

P.S. Regarding Wes, I want Tad to tell him his job is to average 10+ boards and 2+ blocks with points being gravy within the flow of play.

Yep.

Scott has to be the constant of big numbers with great efficiency. That plus great team defense is enough to win about half the games on the schedule.

The next level is finding a consistent #2.

And then there's the "Sweet 16 or Beyond" level where you have King, Fortune & XJ marked for double figure scoring, other guys getting hot some nights, and Dom delivering better than a 2/1 ratio.

It's possible for this team.

P.S. Regarding Wes, I want Tad to tell him his job is to average 10+ boards and 2+ blocks with points being gravy within the flow of play.

Bingo.

Thinking Ahead: Yes, I know this should probably go on a new post... But since GMFK has looked so good, I am thinking about a backcourt next year of Dom, White and King. That's a brutal 3 for any team to handle. The questions: Will XJ return for a 5th year and will Gordon emerge with Scott gone.

King look so good, I am re-calculating my projections for next year. With XJ and Scott gone (and Talton who provides quality minutes), I wondered where the scoring would come from. Now, the concern shifts to interior presence. I hope Gordon can find his strength as this year progresses, we are going to need a more assertive game from him both this year and next. Regardless of that outcome, Dom, White and King will be difficult for most teams in the nation to stop!

Tad is also re-shaping his offense. I have not been a fan of his recruiting but I will give him lots of credit for changing/evolving. Not all coaches have that ability.

Scott is going to be Scott. He is going to be efficient and consistent and solid on both ends of the floor.

The emergence of a guy like King makes Scott and the team much more effective though because if makes it much harder for teams to try to shut Scott down. Teams will see the film of King from yesterday and have to factor him in to their defensive plans.

Thinking Ahead: Yes, I know this should probably go on a new post... But since GMFK has looked so good, I am thinking about a backcourt next year of Dom, White and King. That's a brutal 3 for any team to handle. The questions: Will XJ return for a 5th year and will Gordon emerge with Scott gone.

King look so good, I am re-calculating my projections for next year. With XJ and Scott gone (and Talton who provides quality minutes), I wondered where the scoring would come from. Now, the concern shifts to interior presence. I hope Gordon can find his strength as this year progresses, we are going to need a more assertive game from him both this year and next. Regardless of that outcome, Dom, White and King will be difficult for most teams in the nation to stop!

Tad is also re-shaping his offense. I have not been a fan of his recruiting but I will give him lots of credit for changing/evolving. Not all coaches have that ability.

IF XJ returns next year, a starting line up of:

PG: Collier
SG: White
PF: King
SF: XJ
C: Wes

Is pretty impressive. That being said Tad does need to get a big man this cycle in case XJ does leave.

I caught the replay on ESPN after reading the game thread. The Buffs played hard and were determined to win. I like where this team's head and heart was at in the 2nd half. Lots of positives on offense for a change. GMFK indeed.

If XJ is not back year (as expected), we probably go smaller.

Dom
Fortune
White
King
Wes

If XJ is not back year (as expected), we probably go smaller.

Dom
Fortune
White
King
Wes

Not a bad look offensively, but that puts the team at a disadvantage on D. Really important for Tad to pick up a big man that can be productive next year.

Not a bad look offensively, but that puts the team at a disadvantage on D. Really important for Tad to pick up a big man that can be productive next year.

Not gonna find it unless there's a grad transfer that becomes available.

I'm greedy. I want to see more O from Wes. I still think he's capable and I'd like to get him ready for next year.

A lot of you follow college bball a lot more closely than I; what are the chances that Auburn finishes in the top half of the SEC this year?

For what its worth, I've heard a lot more about him taking the redshirt this year than coming back. From people who would know.

That wouldn't be the worst thing, either. Main issue would be the chemistry if Fortune was pushed to a 6th man role.

But a top 8 guys (tournament rotation) of:

Dom (jr)
White (sr)
King (jr)
XJ (sr)
Wes (sr)
Fortune (sr)
Miller (jr)
Yaz (so)

Let's just say that looks like a group that can go places, imho. Especially when you consider that everyone on that list but Dom & Yaz would have either redshirted or taken a prep school year and would be older than their class designation would normally indicate. And I'm leaving off guys like Fletch (some time starter) along with Guz and the incoming freshmen. Next year's roster is really good even without XJ. With him, it's pretty damn stacked.

Back