What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Yep.

Of course, we will have some people who think that "ambitious" and "upwardly mobile" are negative traits in a coach.
The more I think about it...the more that I think ambition should be one of, if not the primary attribute that we look for when hiring.

Colorado is a hard job. Like, a HARD job. We have struggled for a long time and there are systemic hurdles that we have to deal with. We have to outwork other programs to succeed. We need some absolute dogs on this staff. I want guys that are looking to move to that next step, to that bigger job. I want guys that are willing to push themselves as hard as they can to succeed. Unless someone decides to drop a massive bag on our doorstep that's probably the way that we are going to dig ourselves out of this hole. I really want this guy.

CU is a ****ty program. Boulder is very expensive. Therefore, in order to attract coaches to CU...

1. Has to be a promotion (position coach to coordinator, coordinator to head coach)
2. Has to be an over the top pay increase

CU is not in the market for coaches making any kind of lateral move. Since CU isn't in the business of buying out multi-year Head Coach and/or coordinator contracts, #1 is few and far between. Since CU is apparently the poorest AD in the country, #2 is very unlikely to happen. Therefore, the CU coaching pool is basically limited to the unemployment line, or guys like Sanford who have failed, but want to keep a coordinator role.
The expense of living in Boulder is way overplayed, IMO. Most coaches would live in the surrounding communities anyway. There’s no rule that says any coach must live within the city limits of Boulder. Tad lives in Gunbarrel. KD actually lives in Lafayette, IIRC.

The expense of living in Boulder is way overplayed, IMO. Most coaches would live in the surrounding communities anyway. There’s no rule that says any coach must live within the city limits of Boulder. Tad lives in Gunbarrel. KD actually lives in Lafayette, IIRC.
I posted the other day, the average assistant football coach in the Pac 12 makes $400k. That's a salary that can afford being in Boulder.

I posted the other day, the average assistant football coach in the Pac 12 makes $400k. That's a salary that can afford being in Boulder.
It's not about being able to afford Boulder, it's about the trade off of making the same somewhere else that costs 50% of what Boulder (and surrounding areas cost). Young, up and comers who are more about moving up in the coaching ranks and don't plan on being in one place for too long is one thing. A coordinator who is going to be here for 2-3 years is another.

It's not about being able to afford Boulder, it's about the trade off of making the same somewhere else that costs 50% of what Boulder (and surrounding areas cost). Young, up and comers who are more about moving up in the coaching ranks and don't plan on being in one place for too long is one thing. A coordinator who is going to be here for 2-3 years is another.
I don't really agree with your take.

I moved to CO from a much lower cost area (Raleigh).

My experience is that the primary difference in cost is real estate; a gallon of milk and a gallon of gas don't cost much different. And the real estate delta, while initially painful, really isn't a big deal because you get that back when you sell and move on -- assuming your house value doesn't decrease (fair bet in Boulder area, IMO).

also, half the Pac12 is an equally or even higher cost area

I don't really agree with your take.

I moved to CO from a much lower cost area (Raleigh).

My experience is that the primary difference in cost is real estate; a gallon of milk and a gallon of gas don't cost much different. And the real estate delta, while initially painful, really isn't a big deal because you get that back when you sell and move on -- assuming your house value doesn't decrease (fair bet in Boulder area, IMO).

also, half the Pac12 is an equally or even higher cost area
Sure, but the entire SEC and B1G outside of Chicago is significantly less. It’s a similar argument as playing/coaching in states with no state income tax. Regardless, I’m trying to understand how you making a lifestyle choice to move here from a lower cost area correlates to football coaches looking to the best place to move and advance their careers when considering all the variables

Sure, but the entire SEC and B1G outside of Chicago is significantly less. It’s a similar argument as playing/coaching in states with no state income tax. Regardless, I’m trying to understand how you making a lifestyle choice to move here from a lower cost area correlates to football coaches looking to the best place to move and advance their careers when considering all the variables
I didn't state or suggest there was a correlation. I was sharing an anecdote that the perceived COL 'pain' didn't match my reality (and I'm not inclined to mine for the data so I used an anecdote). I think a coordinator moving here would experience the same relative financial impact that I did.

again, I'm not going to bother mining the data, but I don't believe COL between Minneapolis, Madison, Iowa City, Atlanta, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, etc... is 50% that of Boulder... and certainly not 50% of Layfayette, Superior or Gunbarrel.

I just recalled one other point on the COL difference I experienced moving here...

The wife and I were discussing that topic a few years ago. She pointed out that much of our additional expenses living here were cultural choices, not requirements. Specifically, a much higher percentage of household shopping was being done at Whole Foods and our Walmart shopping, which was a weekly event living in the South, quickly dropped to zero after moving here.

Last edited:
I don't get trying to save money by living in a ****ty place. What else are you going to do with your money? Buy a big pain-in-the-ass RV so you can go to nice places?

Living in a cool town near mountains or ocean is all that matters to me. That's where my money goes.

I don't get trying to save money by living in a ****ty place. What else are you going to do with your money? Buy a big pain-in-the-ass RV so you can go to nice places?

Living in a cool town near mountains or ocean is all that matters to me. That's where my money goes.
My dad was recently talking about moving to South Dakota for tax purposes.

Most good college football programs are in ****ty places

I was thinking about this recently. Who on the staff today had the potential to be a HC? I don't think anyone. Outside of at CU who could even become a coordinator? Coach Smith maybe, not sure there is anyone else.
Well he's not on the staff, in fact I'm not sure if he's even on campus yet, but when Coop Claire finally decides to hang up his cleats and put that padded leather helmet on the shelf next to his Heismans, I have little doubt that a Hall of Fame coaching career is imminent

Back