What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

I'm with @Not Sure on this one. Taking the loan screams to the world that you're poor and don't give a fvck about supporting your athletic department. Then, saying you can't make hiring & firing moves for a year after because the political optics would be so bad after taking the loan reinforces what you screamed.

If the conversation is acknowledging that and saying it's "ok" from the perspective of accepting that being a 3rd rate sh!t show joke of a university when it comes to athletics is a basic fact so it's smart to take a loan vs being unable to pay AD employees & declaring the department bankrupt... then, yeah, it's "ok" and let's start talking about how not to be a 3rd rate sh!t show joke.

Yay.
The AD is what it is and has been what it’s been. If they needed money because the broader university wouldnt give them any, then that’s what they had to do. They’ve been one of the worst programs in the country for over a decade. I’m not sure taking a loan during Covid is any worse for optics than the product they’ve routinely put out on the field

Here’s how I see the analogy:

If the school (Hawkins and MacIntyre) really cared about maximizing the performance of the football program, then it’s stupid for them to force the AD to utilize the limited funds (scholarships) they have available to them rather than covering the cost of the AD loan (scholarship) themselves so those limited resources could be used elsewhere.
Another perspective, yes. I guess I just see this as CUAD doing what it needed to do within the reality of their situation.

CUAD needed the money. The other programs didn’t. I don’t understand why this is so hard for you to comprehend
peyton manning what GIF by Gatorade

Another perspective, yes. I guess I just see this as CUAD doing what it needed to do within the reality of their situation.
The reality of of CUAD’s situation is they are the only AD who needed a bailout and whose University didn’t come to their aid and instead let them fend for themselves. I don’t blame the AD for taking the loan but speaks to the University’s general apathy towards the AD.

The reality of of CUAD’s situation is they are the only AD who needed a bailout and whose University didn’t come to their aid and instead let them fend for themselves. I don’t blame the AD for taking the loan but speaks to the University’s general apathy towards the AD.
Correct, but did we really need this loan situation and the subsequent two days of back and forth to come to that conclusion?

I mean, is there anyone on this site who actually thinks in the last 10 plus years that Phil D and the CU admin have actually been competent in their jobs and how they’ve supported the AD? That’s the most obvious point maybe in CU history. Nobody is refuting this (well, maybe bigbang).

This whole argument revolves around the AD actually making a smart decision with both hands tied behind their backs with the biggest imbeciles as bosses. It’s obvious to me that the loan has provided a cash flow to the AD to improve coaches salaries that at least on the surface and on paper look like good hires.

I'm with @Not Sure on this one. Taking the loan screams to the world that you're poor and don't give a fvck about supporting your athletic department. Then, saying you can't make hiring & firing moves for a year after because the political optics would be so bad after taking the loan reinforces what you screamed.

If the conversation is acknowledging that and saying it's "ok" from the perspective of accepting that being a 3rd rate sh!t show joke of a university when it comes to athletics is a basic fact so it's smart to take a loan vs being unable to pay AD employees & declaring the department bankrupt... then, yeah, it's "ok" and let's start talking about how not to be a 3rd rate sh!t show joke.

Yay.
Wait- isn't Phil the chair of the CEO group of the Pac-12? From that perspective, wouldn't he be involved in offering and setting the terms on this loan? If so, is it not a huge conflict of interest for him to decline to float the AD so that they have to borrow money from the P12?

Wait- isn't Phil the chair of the CEO group of the Pac-12? From that perspective, wouldn't he be involved in offering and setting the terms on this loan? If so, is it not a huge conflict of interest for him to decline to float the AD so that they have to borrow money from the P12?
Relax. Phil negotiated an interest only loan at 0% interest on a 30 year term.

3 years and $2.1 mil.
2022: $650
2023: $700
2024: $750 (unless there is a DC change, will be the highest coordinator salary ever for CU)

Salary pool with the last two coaches will be around $4 mil which is a positive step forward. Probably still middle/middle bottom of the conference.

3 years and $2.1 mil.
2022: $650
2023: $700
2024: $750 (unless there is a DC change, will be the highest coordinator salary ever for CU)

Salary pool with the last two coaches will be around $4 mil which is a positive step forward. Probably still middle/middle bottom of the conference.
I don't think it's that low. I recently read an article that said Lane's AC budget at Ole Miss was $3.2M.

Howell notes unanimous approval on the contracts from the regents. Are we maybe seeing a change in attitude from them with regards to athletics? That’s movement in the right direction if so. No more idiotic grandstanding about that money being spent to cure cancer.

Howell notes unanimous approval on the contracts from the regents. Are we maybe seeing a change in attitude from them with regards to athletics? That’s movement in the right direction if so. No more idiotic grandstanding about that money being spent to cure cancer.
I think it helped a lot that the Boulder seat changed hands on the BoR.

Does this put to bed the tired old trope about party affiliation being determinative of whether they like sports or hate them?
No. It is FACT that only Republicans love football.

Just like Democrats don't like guns, capitalism, religion or dogs.

Back