What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU coaches - Who Should Stay and Who Should Go

Defense doesn’t get a pass but the offense being as poor as it was there are no excuses. Montez made his share of mistakes, and he needs to learn to throw before the WR breaks their route, but there was no identity. Oline pillow soft guys standing around instead of pancaking guys at the second level. Maybe lack of leadership at all levels gave us what we saw this season, they thought just showing up they would put up 40 pts

Bernardi, Jeffcoat, Eliot and Lindgren, in that order. The first two are absolutes. The next two I could live with for another year if necessary.

Jeffcoat, Bernardi and Lindgren should've been gone yesterday.

I'm willing to give Eliot another year. The defense lost eight starters and the entire defensive coaching staff, save one, from last year. That's enough change I'm not willing to completely throw him under the bus. But if the run defense isn't significantly improved next season there's no reason to keep him around.

Lindgren is at the top of my list. Jeffcoat and Bernardi are only a half step down. Eliot should and will get another year

On the other side of the coin, if Chiv is a good as he is perceived, why wouldn't he leave for greener pastures? Seems like MM might be a dead man walking. I would rather be in charge of my own destiny than be subject to the uncertainty of my boss getting fired. And loyalty to your alma matter can only go so far.

If he doesn't get a Head Coaching offer and Frost decided to leave UCF while not retaining him as OC, would it make any sense at all to look into Troy Walters coming back as OC, or is that the fastest way to lose Chev?

If he doesn't get a Head Coaching offer and Frost decided to leave UCF while not retaining him as OC, would it make any sense at all to look into Troy Walters coming back as OC, or is that the fastest way to lose Chev?

He's being mentioned for a possible HC job.

Troy seemed like a pretty good guy, but I think we'd need to get pretty far down a list of potential OC hires before he should even be in consideration.

Troy seemed like a pretty good guy, but I think we'd need to get pretty far down a list of potential OC hires before he should even be in consideration.
If they get rid of Lindgren why wouldn't Chev be promoted? He is the Co-OC after all. Why would he stay if they brought someone else in?

I like the discussion in this thread, but for the love of god can @BatBuff or a mod please correct the spelling of a former Buff great's name. It's Darian HagAn not Hagen.

In a perfect world we would replace every single coach, in the CU cursed world we hold on to MM for another 2 years along with his sub par assistant coaches.

Obvious: Jeffcoat and Bernardi

Obvious with a passing glance: Lindgren

Look kinda hard, then obvious: Eliot

Question though, why does everyone want Eliot gone more than Lindgren? Lindgren had a returning system, returned almost everyone, and still bottomed out in the P12. Even in the OOC, the offense looked like **** and the defense had to carry. I wouldn't mind if Kentucky reject dipped, but Lindgren is way higher on my list of firings. At least he was in year 1 and had to replace a ton of guys. Plus Jeffcoat's **** effort at DL recruiting put the D in a really tough spot. It's not like Eliot should've had a plan when we had to trot out Edwards and/or Tulioma as our NT options. Edwards was literally getting pushed back 10 yards per play by just the Utah center. Literally the opposite of the job a NT is supposed to do.

Then for hirings, RG needs to tell Mac to not even interview people unless they have a MWC/P12/B12 background. No more ****ing east coast hirings with heavy recruiting backgrounds in the greater South Carolina area. CALIFORNIA/TEXAS ONLY.

Who calls the plays for UCF-him or Frost?

Question though, why does everyone want Eliot gone more than Lindgren? Lindgren had a returning system, returned almost everyone, and still bottomed out in the P12. Even in the OOC, the offense looked like **** and the defense had to carry. I wouldn't mind if Kentucky reject dipped, but Lindgren is way higher on my list of firings. At least he was in year 1 and had to replace a ton of guys. Plus Jeffcoat's **** effort at DL recruiting put the D in a really tough spot. It's not like Eliot should've had a plan when we had to trot out Edwards and/or Tulioma as our NT options. Edwards was literally getting pushed back 10 yards per play by just the Utah center. Literally the opposite of the job a NT is supposed to do.

Then for hirings, RG needs to tell Mac to not even interview people unless they have a MWC/P12/B12 background. No more ****ing east coast hirings with heavy recruiting backgrounds in the greater South Carolina area. CALIFORNIA/TEXAS ONLY.
I think the folks supporting Lindgren believe that he has a playbook full of secret plays that he did not use this year and we need to hold onto him so that he can use his secret plays next season.

Two things-One, half this staff has a Mountain West/WAC background still. Every offensive assistant other than Chiaverini came with MM five years ago. Enough of that. That conference is garbage. There should be enough power five openings (the secondary market hasn't even started yet) to where we can find quality replacements. Two, we need guys who can recruit. I don't care where they've got connections. If I see Darrin Chiaverini listed as the primary recruiter on give or take half our current commitments, thats a HUGE problem.

Jeff Tedford looks really good to me right now, but I don't think he leaves Fresno State. Please raid the A&M staff and there's a good bet that Texas Tech coaches can be had. Demetrice Martin sounds great as a 10th assistant

Two things-One, half this staff has a Mountain West/WAC background still. Every offensive assistant other than Chiaverini came with MM five years ago. Enough of that. That conference is garbage. There should be enough power five openings (the secondary market hasn't even started yet) to where we can find quality replacements. Two, we need guys who can recruit. I don't care where they've got connections. If I see Darrin Chiaverini listed as the primary recruiter on give or take half our current commitments, thats a HUGE problem.

It HAS to matter where coaches have connections. Scatter shot recruiting does not work.

Do you recall who said that, I can't seem to recall, can you remind us?
The whole concept at the time was how pedestrian and vanilla the offense looked through 3 games, so if by “secret plays” you mean, I said there was going to be new offensive wrinkles in conference play that we didn’t see in the first 3 games, then yes, that was me. It actually happened exactly the way I said it would, too, but it just didnt really translate to better overall offensive performance (I never said it would).

The whole concept at the time was how pedestrian and vanilla the offense looked through 3 games, so if by “secret plays” you mean, I said there was going to be new offensive wrinkles in conference play that we didn’t see in the first 3 games, then yes, that was me. It actually happened exactly the way I said it would, too, but it just didnt really translate to better overall offensive performance (I never said it would).
I'm just messin with ya man, sheesh

here. That's what Clemson does-there are multiple kids on that roster from out of the box places for them like Indianapolis.

It HAS to matter where coaches have connections. Scatter shot recruiting does not work.

Oh I agree......its just the CA/TX only mindset in White Rabbit's post I don't agree with-For one, we had a nice pipeline in New Orleans during the early 90s. Two, programs like this one have to think like Clemson does-They'll go to out of the box places for them like Indianapolis to get talent. They've got multiple kids on their roster from there. If we were to say.....replace Lindgren with a James Coley type (UGA WR coach, former OC at Miami) who has a bunch of connections in South Florida....why would that be bad?

Oh I agree......its just the CA/TX only mindset in White Rabbit's post I don't agree with-For one, we had a nice pipeline in New Orleans during the early 90s. Two, programs like this one have to think like Clemson does-They'll go to out of the box places for them like Indianapolis to get talent. They've got multiple kids on their roster from there. If we were to say.....replace Lindgren with a James Coley type (UGA WR coach, former OC at Miami) who has a bunch of connections in South Florida....why would that be bad?

Because So Cal is the path to winning the Pac-12 South. Looking at Clemson recruiting is not particularly useful.

Going away from the core footprint just seems like spreading resources out for not a lot of payoff.

Back