What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching Discussion

Receivers have regressed.
This season they have for some unknown reason< I know the reason the OL is so bad only Moses could get a ball to one. When Chev tweets during recruiting it's a done deal. With the addition of Brown next year we will potentially have 3 4* stars on the field at once provided there are no defections, mostly because of Chev if not entirely.

This season they have for some unknown reason< I know the reason the OL is so bad only Moses could get a ball to one. When Chev tweets during recruiting it's a done deal. With the addition of Brown next year we will potentially have 3 4* stars on the field at once provided there are no defections, mostly because of Chev if not entirely.

Many have mentioned that Montez was always the Brett Favre of college football and took serious risks with the ball, but was often rewarded with crazy good throws and results at times. Well, it seems that the QB Guru decided to tear him down to zero and make him very conservative and safe. That is important for his development to lower the turnovers, but not a complete 180 change from who he is. The receivers are still good, but the way the offense is designed and the way he is being asked to not throw the ball in risky places, makes for a huge head case for Montez. I am also convinced that Montez had some sort of concussion last week on his TD catch when his head slammed back on the turf. Montez looked to rush everything, and was not clear headed. I will bet you that he gets cleared up in the head and has a great week of practice and will be the QB next week. Long story short, Chiv is the best assistant coach on the staff, and it is not even close!!!!!!!

***TOTALLY UNFOUNDED THEORY TIME***

A buddy of mine (unlike me, he prefers the constant sunshine pumping of the Scout board to the severe overreaction of Allbuffs) and I have a theory on HCMM, Jim Leavitt, and HCMM's odd unwillingness to dispose of dead weight on the staff and questionable hires.

The theory is that HCMM isn't a bad coach, and that he is a good man that legitimately cares about his players, but whether it be insecurity, ego, or some combination, he wants to surround himself with yes men who will not challenge him. He hates being challenged or questioned. Here are some examples and thoughts on it...

1.) Whatever your stance on the HCMM vs Leavitt situation, they were a great duo. Every ceo, boss, leader, etc. needs a guy, asshole or no, to be the guy who is going to tell you what you don't want to hear, but need to. You may fight about it, but ultimately when he calls you out you have to address what he's calling you out on, respect his input, and not just convince yourself it's not an issue. I'm sure neither guy was always right, but they balanced each other out. An added bonus to this situation was that Leavitt was the yelling raw raw type that some kids respond to, and Mac is the positive reinforcement type that other kids respond to. I think the results from them together speak for themselves. Despite this, it was pretty well documented that HCMM wasn't a big fan of Leavitt, and you wonder if the driving factor was his dislike of being challenged. Last year there was a lot of "this defense has a long way to go still" despite playing really well, while this year there is a lot of "we're getting a lot of bad breaks" despite looking really bad.

2) What kind of coaches have been the ones Mac has hired, and/or been unwilling to get rid of? Generally they seem to be passive guys, new guys afraid to rock the boat, or coaches he's had under him for a long time that just seem to be along for the ride. Did Kent Baer call out HCMM? Does Lindgren seem like the type to question anything? Does DJ Eliot seem like a guy who is willing to rock the boat, or challenge HCMM? Is Bernardi around for any other reason than being a long time yes man? Does Jeffcoat show enough fire to argue? Chev is still making his way up the coaching ladder and probably too new to OC to feel confident in rattling cages. Leavitt is the only guy we've had around that was willing to be that guy, and from everything we've heard, they butted heads constantly. But hey, he and Mac seemed to make each other, and the rest of the staff, better.

3.) When Derek McCartney made a comment in a post game interview about the team, and it was brought up to HCMM, his immediate reaction was an agitated "Derek doesn't know what he's talking about!" Somebody said something against the rhetoric that HCMM was trying to push to the media, and he immediately was angry. Fairly innocent in itself, but with other evidence, it looks worse.

4.) Any of the rare times someone in the local media ask any hard questions of Mac, he gets pissy and confrontational. No coaches like being asked the hard questions, but HCMM certainly has a short fuse when he gets questioned by anything other than the general positive fluff material he gets from the local (and in house) media.

So in summary, this incoherent rambling is leading to that hopefully RG will force HCMM's hand in getting rid of some dead weight yes men, and hiring some experienced coaches and coordinators who are willing to challenge Mac for the betterment of the program. Someone like @Buffnik suggestion last year of Tim DeRuyter to fill the experienced coordinator and former head coach role that Leavitt leaving left. I don't know who is/will be available this offseaon, but I think finding a guy in this mold is paramount.

Last edited:

A buddy of mine (unlike me, he prefers the constant sunshine pumping of the Scout board to the severe overreaction of Allbuffs) and I have a theory on HCMM, Jim Leavitt, and HCMM's odd unwillingness to dispose of dead weight on the staff and questionable hires.

The theory is that HCMM isn't a bad coach, and that he is a good man that legitimately cares about his players, but whether it be insecurity, ego, or some combination, he wants to surround himself with yes men who will not challenge him. He hates being challenged or questioned. Here are some examples and thoughts on it...

1.) Whatever your stance on the HCMM vs Leavitt situation, they were a great duo. Every ceo, boss, leader, etc. needs a guy, asshole or no, to be the guy who is going to tell you what you don't want to hear, but need to. You may fight about it, but ultimately when he calls you out you have to address what he's calling you out on, respect his input, and not just convince yourself it's not an issue. I'm sure neither guy was always right, but they balanced each other out. An added bonus to this situation was that Leavitt was the yelling raw raw type that some kids respond to, and Mac is the positive reinforcement type that other kids respond to. I think the results from them together speak for themselves.

2) What kind of coaches have been the ones Mac has hired, and/or been unwilling to get rid of? Generally they seem to be passive guys, new guys afraid to rock the boat, or coaches he's had under him for a long time that just seem to be along for the ride. Did Kent Baer call out HCMM? Does Lindgren seem like the type to question anything? Does DJ Eliot seem like a guy who is willing to rock the boat, or challenge HCMM? Is Bernardi around for any other reason than being a long time yes man? Does Jeffcoat show enough fire to argue? Chev is still making his way up the coaching ladder and probably too new to OC to feel confident in rattling cages. Leavitt is the only guy we've had around that was willing to be that guy, and from everything we've heard, they butted heads constantly. But hey, he and Mac seemed to make each other, and the rest of the staff, better.

3.) When Derek McCartney made a comment in a post game interview about the team, and it was brought up to HCMM, his immediate reaction was an agitated "Derek doesn't know what he's talking about!" Somebody said something against the rhetoric that HCMM was trying to push to the media, and he immediately was angry. Fairly innocent in itself, but with other evidence, it looks worse.

4.) Any of the rare times someone in the local media ask any hard questions of Mac, he gets pissy and confrontational. No coaches like being asked the hard questions, but HCMM certainly has a short fuse when he gets questioned by anything other than the general positive fluff material he gets from the local (and in house) media.

So in summary, this incoherent rambling is leading to that hopefully RG will force HCMM's hand in getting rid of some dead weight yes men, and hiring some experienced coaches and coordinators who are willing to challenge Mac for the betterment of the program. Someone like @Buffnik suggestion last year of Tim DeRuyter to fill the experienced coordinator and former head coach role that Leavitt leaving left. I don't know who is/will be available this offseaon, but I think finding a guy in this mold is paramount.
This theory fits the facts. It may not be 100%, but hard to argue with....

1.) Whatever your stance on the HCMM vs Leavitt situation, they were a great duo. Every ceo, boss, leader, etc. needs a guy, asshole or no, to be the guy who is going to tell you what you don't want to hear, but need to. You may fight about it, but ultimately when he calls you out you have to address what he's calling you out on, respect his input, and not just convince yourself it's not an issue. I'm sure neither guy was always right, but they balanced each other out. An added bonus to this situation was that Leavitt was the yelling raw raw type that some kids respond to, and Mac is the positive reinforcement type that other kids respond to. I think the results from them together speak for themselves. Despite this, it was pretty well documented that HCMM wasn't a big fan of Leavitt, and you wonder if the driving factor was his dislike of being challenged. Last year there was a lot of "this defense has a long way to go still" despite playing really well, while this year there is a lot of "we're getting a lot of bad breaks" despite looking really bad.

Excellent analysis I think Chiv is in the same category as Leavitt. Wouldn't be surprised if he moves on in off season.. .

When MM was going nuts on the sideline someone was trying to push him back and calm him down until they finally gave up. Who was that?

I don't think the theory is really unfounded there Iron. Even I can open up my mind to ideas, shocking I know lol.

It's a bit ironic that the most hissy-prone posters here are ragging on HCMM for his hissy fit. Self awareness and whatnot.
I hear you..

giphy.gif

It's a bit ironic that the most hissy-prone posters here are ragging on HCMM for his hissy fit. Self awareness and whatnot.
No it really isn't. There is a big difference in throwing a hissy fit on an online message board for an organization that you have no involvement in compared to when you are the head coach for that organization. For example, I would never throw a hissy fit at my job if something went wrong, because it is absurdly unprofessional and would make me look bad. However, I would have no qualms about doing so online for an organization that I am not a representative of

Has to do with his career at CU, who he assisted under, the progress that has been made in the performance of the WR's under his tuteledge, his ability to relate to today's HS players and that relates to his recruiting, he may be the one person that could talk Matt McChesney into becoming the S&C coach & he grasps the importance of social media.

I couldn't put my finger on exactly why I was so confident either. Except, obviously, the fact that he is an alumnus (alum).

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. That’s a pretty good theory though.

Here the path forward.

Lindgren, Bernardi and Jeffcoat gone. One chance for MM to proactively make changes. If resists, he does so at his immediate peril.

Adams and DJ on short, short leash.

All other coaches get stern “get better or get gone” message.

MM 6-3 in 2018 conference play. Or gone.

A 5-4 conference record just would not cut it.

Back