What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching & Support Staff Moves

Exactly. Sometimes they will work with players on technique and film review, as I understand it. But it's mostly getting a high level guy in the room to "analyze" and give insights on your own team's performance and notes from opponent film review. Can also do some consigliere stuff for HC or Coordinator.

In the past, CU was pretty much having grad assistant types do this. We got a son of a great NFL DC who has spent decades in the NFL - rising to OC and HC levels in the League.

But I see comments on Twitter hating on this hire because the Broncos offense sucked. 😂
His Broncos offense sucked, his Giants offense sucked, his Vikings offense didn't suck as much because he wasn't actually in charge.

You are right though that he isn't going to be the one designing, planning, or calling our offense.

He has a good reputation as a guy who knows the game and is highly organized.

Prime and a lot of his staff have not coached at the P5 level.

I believe they can do it but having guys who have coached at the highest level around is a great resource.

i was watching some of the recent practice video. the thing that jumped out at me again was how many coaches and staff there were. lots and lots of guys working with players and lots of high energy. it feels very professional. adding another NFL guy seems right.

a recruit visiting this and seeing it and comparing it to a lot of other programs (not bama or usc of course) should be impressed.

i was watching some of the recent practice video. the thing that jumped out at me again was how many coaches and staff there were. lots and lots of guys working with players and lots of high energy. it feels very professional. adding another NFL guy seems right.

a recruit visiting this and seeing it and comparing it to a lot of other programs (not bama or usc of course) should be impressed.
NCAA rule change that CU had not previously taken advantage of (cough... D. Phil... budget limits... cough), but there are no limits anymore on the size of the coaching support staff of quasi assistants other than how many can be on the road recruiting at the same time. CU is finally starting to look like its peer institutions which have gone all in on winning.

His Broncos offense sucked, his Giants offense sucked, his Vikings offense didn't suck as much because he wasn't actually in charge.

You are right though that he isn't going to be the one designing, planning, or calling our offense.

He has a good reputation as a guy who knows the game and is highly organized.

Prime and a lot of his staff have not coached at the P5 level.

I believe they can do it but having guys who have coached at the highest level around is a great resource.
Not that it matters with regards to his current role with the Buffs, but who was in the charge of the Vikings offense when Shurmur was OC and they went to the NFC championship? Zimmer?

It’s an analyst position. He’s going to help breakdown film, scout opponents 2-3 weeks out, create game plans, identify weaknesses, personnel packages, etc. He’s not calling plays, talking to the players or coaching QBs. And no, @ahoelsken i don’t have any clue what his contract situation is/was with the Broncos
So it’s only bad if anyone else on staff actually listens to him. Got it.

He’s just there to break down film on future opponents, provide detailed game plans, discover tendencies in personnel and playcalling help the traditional staff prepare since they don’t have enough hours in the day to do it themselves.

He obviously knows football and has been to the pinnacle of the sport. He’s a big addition to the staff, but the most encouraging part is that adding two former NFL HCs to the staff as analysts is just another sign that this program is all in from the top down.

Are you worried this means that Coach Prime is going to scrap Lewis's offense and install Shurmur's? Or that Lewis is going to allow Shurmur to change his offense?

Completely ridiculous.

The most you'd have to worry about would be the situation Alabama had when OC Lane took a HC job and Sark stepped up from an Analyst job to handle the game plan & play calling for the bowl game. Even in that scenario, we're much better off having a Shurmur there to take the reins or be a key adviser to another coach who got the promotion.

I have no idea how anyone could look at the Shurmur addition as a bad development.

Are you worried this means that Coach Prime is going to scrap Lewis's offense and install Shurmur's? Or that Lewis is going to allow Shurmur to change his offense?

Completely ridiculous.

The most you'd have to worry about would be the situation Alabama had when OC Lane took a HC job and Sark stepped up from an Analyst job to handle the game plan & play calling for the bowl game. Even in that scenario, we're much better off having a Shurmur there to take the reins or be a key adviser to another coach who got the promotion.

I have no idea how anyone could look at the Shurmur addition as a bad development.
Because hes a loser from a losing cultutre who happened to bring his loserness to my other favorite sports team.

Completely ridiculous.

He had ups and downs in the NFL but is highly respected. Huge difference between him making suggestions and making decisions.

Big thing here is that unlike the last 20+ years we are recruiting kids who have legitimate NFL aspirations.

Having guys like Shurmur and Zimmer on the staff, just like having guys like Kordell and Shannon Sharpe around the program tells these kids that the program is big time. These aren't the WR coach of the Miami Dolphins as your HC, these are guys with NFL head coaching experience, these are guys who have been NFL coordinators and who are probably just waiting for the right NFL job to come up.

This is still Prime's program, top to bottom it is Prime's program. These guys add resources that Prime can turn to and credibility that the players (and assistant coaches) can see.

Having guys like Shurmur and Zimmer on the staff, just like having guys like Kordell and Shannon Sharpe around the program tells these kids that the program is big time. These aren't the WR coach of the Miami Dolphins as your HC, these are guys with NFL head coaching experience, these are guys who have been NFL coordinators and who are probably just waiting for the right NFL job to come up.
I was a little bitter about the news of Shurmur at first, because of his time with the Broncos and how it gave a near death blow to Phil Lindsay’s time in the NFL (IMO).

Then I remembered that since the early to mid aughts, the Buffs have been wandering the CFB desert of irrelevancy. The last coach at the ship wheel was a guy that sunk his Alma matter, had the least productive offense in a SEC school, was an okay position coach in the NFL, and was a last ditch hire of a desperate AD coming in to his Boulder home, with a bag of cash and Jersey Mike’s subs.

If it wasn’t for a former player, alumni, booster, fan base that was over everything that has happened, who knows what would have happened from October of last year to now?

I don't care how successful a coach is or isn't in the NFL, hell look at Saban, he wasn't a smashing success with the Fins. Shurmur has a ton of experience and knowledge that he can give to the entire staff. Same with Zimmer. The other aspect from Shurmur's perspective is that this is an opportunity for him to learn new offensive concepts from Lewis. Always be learning.

Completely ridiculous.

I’m not freaking out about this, I’m just aware that as an offensive mind Shurmur blows goats.

Is this the end of the world? No. Is it a huge problem for the program? No. His impact will likely be entirely unnoticeable to the outside world no matter if he performs great or horribly. All I’m saying is that if you gave me the choice to have CU fill this position with Pat Shurmur or Rusty Gruffballs I’m going to pick Rusty without a moment’s hesitation, because who knows who the **** Rusty is but at minimum at least he’s not Pat Shurmur.

Last edited:
I’m not freaking out about this, I’m just aware that as an offensive mind Shurmur blows goats.

Is this the end of the world? No. Is it a huge problem for the program? No. His impact will likely be entirely unnoticeable to the outside world no matter if he performs great or horribly. All I’m saying is that if you gave me the choice to have CU fill this position with Pat Shurmur or Rusty Gruffballs I’m going to pick Rusty without a moment’s hesitation, because who knows who the **** Rusty is but at minimum at least he’s not Pat Shurmur.
7scxej.jpg

Coach Bartolone made 247’s 30 under 30 list!

Brett Bartolone, Colorado wide receivers coach (29)

Jackson State’s offensive coordinator a season ago, Bartolone led an offense that scored the seventh-most points (37.7) in the FCS last season. Tigers quarterback Shedeur Sanders saw his completion percentage (65.9 to 70.6) and yardage numbers (3,231 to 3,732) jump while cutting his interceptions by 25% (8 to 6) under Bartolone’s tutelage. Before arriving at Jackson State, Bartolone worked for Jay Norvell at Nevada as an analyst and was Carleton College’s offensive coordinator from 2018-19. Bartolone is considered a plus recruiter and has already helped the Buffaloes land players like Calabasas (Calif.) High four-star receiver Aaron Butlerand Venice (Fla.) High playmaker Zycarl Lewis from the 2024 class.

Just saw a clip of Prime talking about Sapp.
He is finishing his degree so he can come coach with Prime.

Back