What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-CSU Gametime Set

How many Buffs fans will be cheering on the team in Toledo?

I sure hope the players find the focus and strength to not overlook this one.

It's official. CU is addicted to network TV $$$$.

Seriously...Bohn would sell Ralphie for the right price

Some please remind me of the last night game CU won on the road?

CU hasn't won that many road games, period...

2008 -
0-5

2007-
CU won at Tech and at Baylor

2006-
0-fer

2005-
CU beat OSU and KSU on the road.

2004-
CU won at WSU, at Kansas, and at Nebraska.

2003-
CU won at ISU

2002-
CU won at UCLA, at Kansas, at Missouri and at Nebraska.

2001-
CU won at KSU and at OSU (I think this OSU game was at night), at Iowa State and beat Texas in the Big 12 Championship game which might as well have been a road game (and was at night)

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this is terrible idea. I am all for being on TV, but an extra day or two of rest can mean the difference between players playing and not playing. This is CSU's superbowl and I think it is stupid to go out and play on the road 5 days later. I don't care how weak Toledo is or is supposed to be, they will be up for us.

It's early in the season and the team will be pumped. I don't think they'll hurt too badly for this, and they should be able to smashmouth an overmatched Toledo team.

It's early in the season and the team will be pumped. I don't think they'll hurt too badly for this, and they should be able to smashmouth an overmatched Toledo team.

yeah, i never thought we would be questioning our buffs against toledo in hawk's fourth year.

Don't forget, we are traveling to OSU on four days rest too, also because of TV.
That could make for a real embarrassment. OSU is an outside favorite to win the Big 12 after Texas and OU. They are very good offensively, and Dez Bryant is a handful. We need a full week to prepare for this game.

Last edited:
That could make for a real embarrassment. OSU is an outside favorite to win the Big 12 after Texas and OU. They are very good offensively, and Dez Bryant is a handful. We need a full week to prepare for this game.

Yeah I love how both of our super shortened layoff games are on the road, sounds like a recipe for success.

Back on topic for a second.

This is going to be huge. Two days of solid drinking leading up to the game. That probably won't be a game I take my daughter to, but will be fun just the same.

We'll probably show up at the tailgate spot at around Noon. :thumbsup:

? I don't hear people questioning us against Toledo, just pointing out that it's an obvious set up game with a short week.

? I don't hear people questioning us against Toledo, just pointing out that it's an obvious set up game with a short week.

This is correct.
Toledo is a team CU should beat. No one argues that.

Let's round out this discussion.
Toledo beat Michigan.
CU barely beat Eastern Washington...at home
CU lost to DII Montana State...at home
Hawkins has a lousy record on the road, specially at night.

CU's coaches and players would be more competitive with 6 days. They only have 4, and one is a travel day.

If there ever were a set up for CU to get punked, this is it.
The athletic dept negotiates this schedule to maximize TV exposure, not to maximize player readiness.

Best case scenario: CU crushes CSU in front of a national audience and comes back to crush Toledo on the road. The nation marvels at how good the new offense looks against unranked cupcakes. Bohn comes home with a big smile and a dufflebag full of cash. Rippy and Stewart see their friends and family, and CU picks up a few recruiting leads.

Worst case: Meltdown.

Let's hope for the best. CU knows no defeat.

Looks like they updated it.

Saturday, September 5

Colorado State at Colorado (this game was moved to accommodate the schedule of a milkman in northern Colorado who expressed his dismay at having to use a PTO day to attend a football game. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you please stop sending pics of you in your hunting gear. Thanks)

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-10-3/Big-12-announces-early-television-schedule.html

Looks like they updated it.

Saturday, September 5

Colorado State at Colorado (this game was moved to accommodate the schedule of a milkman in northern Colorado who expressed his dismay at having to use a PTO day to attend a football game. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you please stop sending pics of you in your hunting gear. Thanks)

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-10-3/Big-12-announces-early-television-schedule.html

**** ya, I know if I whine, I get what I want!:smile2:

Last edited:

Bohn is a clown for moving this game to Sunday when we already have a short week.. Bohn must think Hawk has recruited players to the caliber of 89-96 or something..

Yeah, I didn't say I liked the schedule, just that we still expect to beat Toledo. Scheduling OSU with a short week is a different story.

It was interesting to hear Hawkins comments about it. Didn't sound like he was thrilled with playing two teams in 5 days.

We played twice in a 5 day span in '89. We faced Texas on Labor day I believe which was Monday night, and then on Saturday played CSU. If you remember, a down trodden CSU team took a 7-0 and then a 14-7 lead on us. CSU threatened to tie the game right before halftime when Tim James intercepted a csu pass at the cu 10 yard line. After half CU ran away with the game, but, we sure looked sluggish in the first half.

We played twice in a 5 day span in '89. We faced Texas on Labor day I believe which was Monday night, and then on Saturday played CSU. If you remember, a down trodden CSU team took a 7-0 and then a 14-7 lead on us. CSU threatened to tie the game right before halftime when Tim James intercepted a csu pass at the cu 10 yard line. After half CU ran away with the game, but, we sure looked sluggish in the first half.

That is true - but that was a VERY different CU team. That was a CU team designed to run over, run around, and run through every opposing defense we faced. CU's offense punished the opposing defense by its very design. I worry that this year's offense will be able to punish anyone.

CU rushed the ball 55 times against Texas on September 4, 1989.
CU rushed the ball 68 times against CSU on September 9, 1989.

Those were some hella-good rushing numbers, there!

That is true - but that was a VERY different CU team. That was a CU team designed to run over, run around, and run through every opposing defense we faced. CU's offense punished the opposing defense by its very design. I worry that this year's offense will be able to punish anyone.

CU rushed the ball 55 times against Texas on September 4, 1989.
CU rushed the ball 68 times against CSU on September 9, 1989.

Those were some hella-good rushing numbers, there!

I hear ya, my main point though was we should have blown that csu team away from the start, but it took us a whole half before we could put them away. I was just wondering if the 5 day break had somethign to do with it. That csu team was bad.

I hear ya, my main point though was we should have blown that csu team away from the start, but it took us a whole half before we could put them away. I was just wondering if the 5 day break had somethign to do with it. That csu team was bad.

I am sure it did.

I am sure it helped that both games in 1989 were IN BOULDER, too.

The fact that the Toledo game is a road game, which basically means we have one LESS DAY for prep -- makes that a very scary game, IMO.

Hopefully the fact that Toledo has a new head coach will have them breaking in some new schemes / players.

It's funny that this thread is more about Toledo than CSewe. How times have changed.

Other than the role CSewe plays as a backdrop to a tailgate, there's nothing to discuss. No chest pounding. No boasting. No big brother/Little brother or rivalry talk.

CU fans have more anxiety about 3 days prep and 1 day travel against friggin' Toledo!

Dang sign of the times.

Back