What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think they’re going to play their hand. They don’t have options now, but give it a year, and maybe they get more desperate to live.
UO-UW can always join Big12 and maybe ACC if they want. Their hands are still better than ours, but they can’t bluff if they are hoping to keep Pac intact.

Assuming only football matters...

Here are the ACC / B12 / Pac12 teams with lower ratings in 2021 than Colorado (#64 366k), : Duke (64k), Boston College (156k), Syracuse (219k), Cal (222k), Houston (232k), Oregon State (321k), Arizona 337k
Here are the ACC / B12 / Pac12 teams with less than 1M average viewers despite significantly better years than Colorado (bowl game or better): UCF (407k), Washington State (483k), NC State (525k), Wake Forest (526k), Pittsburgh (550k), Virginia (611k), Louisville (616k), K State (636k), Texas Tech (798k), Utah (994k)

So just by the numbers it's close since that's 17 schools, and you also have to consider market overlap / desirability (e.g., it's hard for me to believe that NCSU won't rank as a top priority for whatever of the two doesn't land UNC), comparability of TV deals that enable those ratings (e.g., UCF would have much higher ratings in a power conference),and administrative support that makes it likely to grow interest in the program.

The schools that you listed that aren't above:
- Cincinatti (1.26M) - an outlier year, would want to see how they did a couple of years ago in the ratings, but still clearly have admin support and are in a big market, academics and market overlap would be an issue for the Big Ten
- Iowa State (1.29M) - likely a take before CU, only argument is sheer size of market and general population growth trends
- TCU (907k) - if Big Ten can get comfortable with the academics, most likely a take before CU, probably not true of the SEC given the existing Texas footprint
- KU (540k) - I mean this one shocked me - but the numbers are what they are. Most likely a take before CU
- WVU (948k) - similar argument as with Iowa State

Finally, SEC and Big Ten schools that have fewer viewers than Colorado:
- Vanderbilt (37k)

Uh, yeah, that's it.

Another takeaway - as a Wake alum - Wake should not be at the head of these lists as the primary example of program that doesn't deserve to be in a power conference.It is a well run program with lots of booster investment and that stands for something - with many more viewers than many much larger schools.
I'm not sure where you are pulling those numbers, but they are interesting.

A few points that I'd make:
  • A major, major issue when comparing viewership is distribution. P12N is in FAR fewer households than other networks. A few places I have seen show that ACCN, SECN, B1GN are all in around 70M households. P12N is in fewer than 20. If a game is viewed by 2% of the households that get SECN, then that's 1.4M viewers. If it's viewed by 2% of the households that get P12N, that's 400K. There's going to be a major impact on teams that are relegated to P12N most weeks (like CU).
  • CU (and other P12 schools) fare much better with exposure. For example: TA&M appeared on national TV 7 times last season. The game against CU was seen by the second-most eyes of any nationally televised A&M game outside of the game where they beat Alabama. It also was a 30% increase over the same timeslot in 2019. When CU/Utah was on, it had roughly the same viewership as Florida/Florida State that same weekend. CU/Oregon also had high viewership (more than twice what Oregon/Cal did two weeks prior).
    • As an aside, those three games accounted for roughly 7.5M viewers. I'm not sure how the numbers you gave were calculated (366K viewers), but I was assuming it was a per game average. I don't think that can be correct, because just those three games gave 625K viewers per game. if you spread the 7.5M viewers across 12 games. even if the formula is to divide by 2, and allocate half of each game's viewership to each school, you'd end up with ~312K viewers for each game, meaning that the other 9 CU games averaged like 88K viewers?
  • I based most of my list on a combination of media market ranking and the consultant report on estimated fanbase size linked here. Of all the schools in your post, the ones estimated to have larger football fanbases are Syracuse, Pitt, Utah, TT, and WVU.

I think they’re going to play their hand. They don’t have options now, but give it a year, and maybe they get more desperate to live.
Obviously, the 4C schools have to be willing to leave for the B12, but assuming they are, they can simply tell OR/UW to **** off with unequal rev share. I also doubt the Pac 10 is staying together without some kind of GoR with UW/OR.

Looks like the CFB structural changes are accelerating. Players at Penn State are attempting to form a union and are asking for profit sharing. That new B1G tv deal may not be the windfall the ADs are expecting. Non-revenue sports likely screwed if this is the way things go.

Probably means the acceleration of "college" football programs disconnecting themselves from the institutions that they are currently allegedly a part of.

Looks like the CFB structural changes are accelerating. Players at Penn State are attempting to form a union and are asking for profit sharing. That new B1G tv deal may not be the windfall the ADs are expecting. Non-revenue sports likely screwed if this is the way things go.

Honestly though, profit sharing to begin with would have so much less messy than NIL.

Probably means the acceleration of "college" football programs disconnecting themselves from the institutions that they are currently allegedly a part of.
Then the schools can charge the newly disconnected “programs” big use fees for playing in the school’s facilities. Two can play this game. In the final analysis the players need the schools more than the schools need to have “college football”. Let the Penn State football program call the Philadelphia Eagles and ask them how much the Eagles will pay them to be its farm team. And who they will play. And where. **** ‘em.

Buncha idots in here.
We are the only team left in the PAC with a football National Title (AP).

we are one of a handful of schools in the entire country with a modern Heisman and Natty.

We have a top #30 TV (soon to be top #20) market.

even if we go 3-9 the next 5 years we will STILL end up in a P2 conference.

You’ve all been abused so much, that you think we are CSU.

we just gotta hostile takeover the AD and Phil’s seat

Buncha idots in here.
We are the only team left in the PAC with a football National Title (AP).

we are one of a handful of schools in the entire country with a modern Heisman and Natty.

We have a top #30 TV (soon to be top #20) market.

even if we go 3-9 the next 5 years we will STILL end up in a P2 conference.

You’ve all been abused so much, that you think we are CSU.

we just gotta hostile takeover the AD and Phil’s seat

Well that’s ironic. Washington has a national title too…

Big 12 has less than the Pac by far if we are talking about programs that claim national championships. Aren't they at zero?

ACC blows us all away on that measure.

By the way you idot bitches. Dan Carlin? Are you kidding me? What a terrific spokesman for our Buffs. I had no idea until I listened to the earlier mentioned podcast today. Can’t wait to hear his hardcore history pods.

Big 12 has less than the Pac by far if we are talking about programs that claim national championships. Aren't they at zero?

ACC blows us all away on that measure.

idk, wasn't Cal a monster in the 20s? :ROFLMAO:

B12 probably claims a bunch of laughable ones. BYU claims 1984. UCF claims that one Scott Frost undefeated year IIRC

idk, wasn't Cal a monster in the 20s? :ROFLMAO:

B12 probably claims a bunch of laughable ones. BYU claims 1984. UCF claims that one Scott Frost undefeated year IIRC
You're right. I remember that BYU winning the vote because no one had a great season and they beat a .500 Michigan team in its bowl game. UCF's was equally credible. 😂

I think TCU does have one from pre-WW2, too.

You're right. I remember that BYU winning the vote because no one had a great season and they beat a .500 Michigan team in its bowl game. UCF's was equally credible. 😂

I think TCU does have one from pre-WW2, too.
If we do join the Big 12, we would instantly become the winningest program in that league with the most recent natty. I actually look at that as more reason to consider that league an opportunity for this program.

By the way you idot bitches. Dan Carlin? Are you kidding me? What a terrific spokesman for our Buffs. I had no idea until I listened to the earlier mentioned podcast today. Can’t wait to hear his hardcore history pods.
If you’re into history, I’d highly recommend Mike Duncan’s “Revolutions” series as well. His History of Rome series was his first foray into podcasting and is also great if you’re more of a classical fan

If we do join the Big 12, we would instantly become the winningest program in that league with the most recent natty. I actually look at that as more reason to consider that league an opportunity for this program.
West Virginia will be the winningest program in the conference. Idot.

Seriously? You want to pretend we’re Nebraska? We’re not going to be any better next year because we claim to be the winningest program

I'll take my chances in a new league-especially with the reason we joined this ****ing ****show off to the Big Ten in less than two years.
My point is simply that “we’re the winningest program with the most recent national title” is completely irrelevant when it comes to trying to figure out what conference to join.

You think that means anything?

Look, I hope Colorado gets a lifeline to the Big 12, but have no illusions that you'll suddenly find success on the football field once the move happens. Your competition definitely won't be any easier.

Like the wayward son who has returned home, just be happy there's a place for you.

Back