What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Why do you say this? As I recall, our budget for coaches is middle is the pack and throwing more money at mediocre coaches doesn’t make them elite.
For head coach, not for assistants. We have a garbage assistant salary number. Then if someone were to fix that they have to fix the monumental admin deficit we have on the support staff.

That bothered me too. I'm all for extreme positivity when selling people on a vision or opportunity. But that was hyperbolic to the point where it undermines credibility.

In other words, I'd have been more than fine with saying "CU has the right coach to lead the program back to elite status" even if I don't agree with the sentiment. But making a statement that equates to "Dorrell > Saban" makes me react by thinking the person is either delusional, trolling or selling snake oil.
If this is, in fact, a collective, Kelli needs to get out front. Thus guy’s cred is in the crapper.

That bothered me too. I'm all for extreme positivity when selling people on a vision or opportunity. But that was hyperbolic to the point where it undermines credibility.

In other words, I'd have been more than fine with saying "CU has the right coach to lead the program back to elite status" even if I don't agree with the sentiment. But making a statement that equates to "Dorrell > Saban" makes me react by thinking the person is either delusional, trolling or selling snake oil.
Agree 100%. The chemistry, talk of a brotherhood, and better culture could be real. We'll find out in a month. If he's on twitter talking about how the chemistry, talk of a brotherhood, better culture, and better coaching on the offensive side of the ball make a bowl bid very realistic......sure. I can get behind that.

I'm expecting either a) this program has improved but the schedule is tougher so we're 4-8 or 5-7 again or b) this thing goes totally off the rails to the point where Dorrell does get fired (Adam in a summer mailbag podcast did admit that was possible-recorded in late July), but I'll happily admit I'm wrong if this team surprises and makes a bowl.

Why do you say this? As I recall, our budget for coaches is middle is the pack and throwing more money at mediocre coaches doesn’t make them elite.
Just my feeling that if you want elite head coaches with an elite staff you most likely need elite money. Even if you take a flyer on a first time HC, if they succeed, you will have to pay to keep him.

And of course getting a guy who will raise CU to success isn’t just about money. It’ll take discernment within the AD to find that guy. And probably a bit of luck.

Every time there is an opening we hear all of the “CU is a sleeping giant” stuff. But every single choice we’ve made has been flawed. I’m sick of it.

For head coach, not for assistants. We have a garbage assistant salary number. Then if someone were to fix that they have to fix the monumental admin deficit we have on the support staff.
The school topped $3.5MM in 2022 for the assistant coaches. That's not great (Tucker got over $5MM at MSU) but it's not garbage. It's hard to argue for more money when the school horribly overpays people like Chev and coach sled. The school needs to be smarter in their hires and not just give mediocre coaches more money hoping that somehow makes them better.

Just my feeling that if you want elite head coaches with an elite staff you most likely need elite money. Even if you take a flyer on a first time HC, if they succeed, you will have to pay to keep him.

And of course getting a guy who will raise CU to success isn’t just about money. It’ll take discernment within the AD to find that guy. And probably a bit of luck.

Every time there is an opening we hear all of the “CU is a sleeping giant” stuff. But every single choice we’ve made has been flawed. I’m sick of it.
The AD is given more money than ever and goes out and gives Karl Dorrelll the biggest pay increase of his life. He was probably making $300K at Miami. My argument is simply that the AD hasn't shown that they make good choices with the money they are given. Why would you believe that giving them more money is going to solve anything

The AD is given more money than ever and goes out and gives Karl Dorrelll the biggest pay increase of his life. He was probably making $300K at Miami. My argument is simply that the AD hasn't shown that they make good choices with the money they are given. Why would you believe that giving them more money is going to solve anything
I got nuthin’. Wait! I left out the “throw the bums out” part!

We bowl or fire everyone right?

oh wait. Sorry. I was applying big program guidelines to our Buffs.
Order of operations:
>”guys drank from firehose this summer”
>simplify playbook during bye week
>”focus on fundamentals and play fast, no thinking”
>point to ‘close losses’
>2-10
>”that’s what happens with a new system, so another year to learn”
>recruit poorly
>stars don’t matter
>2023 3-9

Yeah I (and I’m sure many others) will not give money to people who squander it 100% of the time. Gotta see a positive trajectory (winning 3 when the line is 2.5 doesn’t count) before I’m back in and I’m sure there are a lot of people in the same boat.

Keeping my money brings me way more joy than watching us spend on a DOA hire

The school topped $3.5MM in 2022 for the assistant coaches. That's not great (Tucker got over $5MM at MSU) but it's not garbage. It's hard to argue for more money when the school horribly overpays people like Chev and coach sled. The school needs to be smarter in their hires and not just give mediocre coaches more money hoping that somehow makes them better.
3.5 was what 10th in the conference? The SEC and big 10 pay way more than the pac 12 as a whole so yes, that is garbage.

If I had to guess the first thing that pissed off Tucker was the lack of funds to go hire quality assistant coaches. So yes, money matters.

Disclaimer: money absolutely matters imo, however…..

There are numerous G5 teams over the last 15 yrs that could/did mudhole us while spending a fraction on their coaching staff and program. Hell Utah was a G5 with the same coach they have now.

It takes a special kind of stupid to deliver the consistently terrible results our admin has over the last 15 yrs with their budget. It’s not a blue blood level of resources, or even a mid tier, but it’s not a 1 legit bowl game invite in 15 yrs budget.

I bet Karl alone makes more than the Coastal Carolina staff and I wouldn’t be surprised if they delivered better results or at least entertainment value. I bet they’d have beaten the high bar of 129/130th ranked offense in FBS last year

Tell Jerdough to knock that off then.

Colorado -- Air Force: The Falcons put together another tremendous season with a 10-3 campaign, capped off with a win over Louisville in the First Responder Bowl. The losses against Mountain West champ Utah State, San Diego State and Army came by a combined 16 points. Air Force is the class of Colorado and it's not all that close. -- Jeyarajah

That last part should piss every CU fan off.

Disclaimer: money absolutely matters imo, however…..

There are numerous G5 teams over the last 15 yrs that could/did mudhole us while spending a fraction on their coaching staff and program. Hell Utah was a G5 with the same coach they have now.

It takes a special kind of stupid to deliver the consistently terrible results our admin has over the last 15 yrs with their budget. It’s not a blue blood level of resources, or even a mid tier, but it’s not a 1 legit bowl game invite in 15 yrs budget.

I bet Karl alone makes more than the Coastal Carolina staff and I wouldn’t be surprised if they delivered better results or at least entertainment value. I bet they’d have beaten the high bar of 129/130th ranked offense in FBS last year
I don’t disagree that other schools have had nice gains with staffs that make less. However, it doesn’t make sense to compare Colorado to Coastal. They are within driving distance to several areas with plentiful football talent.
Their admissions standards are not stringent.

I don’t disagree that other schools have had nice gains with staffs that make less. However, it doesn’t make sense to compare Colorado to Coastal. They are within driving distance to several areas with plentiful football talent.
Their admissions standards are not stringent.
Sure that’s fair, just some hyperbole (my favorite rhetorical device).

But definitely could’ve had better results with some competent leadership. Money is an issue when it comes to getting good, but hasn’t been the issue in regards to avoiding total and complete inadequacy

Sure that’s fair, just some hyperbole (my favorite rhetorical device).

But definitely could’ve had better results with some competent leadership. Money is an issue when it comes to getting good, but hasn’t been the issue in regards to avoiding total and complete inadequacy
The AD needs strong leadership because the admin DGAF. We don’t have it, so we continue to circulate down the toilet bowl.

I think the big thing was recruits he couldn't get through admissions and lost to Oregon State. That was a total violation of the promises made to him.
That was later though. He lost out on coaches early, was bitching about the schedule (playing TAMU) and then the recruiting restrictions happened and it was all over.

of operations:
>”guys drank from firehose this summer”
>simplify playbook during bye week
>”focus on fundamentals and play fast, no thinking”
>point to ‘close losses’
>2-10
>”that’s what happens with a new system, so another year to learn”
>recruit poorly
>stars don’t matter
>2023 3-9

“we’re one of the youngest teams in Div 1”
“a couple key injuries, a couple key plays and we were a 7-5 team”