What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Personally, I think it’s fun to be the clear outsider in the league. The PAC 12 rivalries kind of sucked, although part of that was being mostly bad, but part of it is just not managing to muster a lot of ire against teams like Utah or Cal.

Regarding the “road trips”, do most of you actually go on a lot of road trips to watch CU play? I always felt that was oversold in the PAC 12. Sure, a smattering of fans would fly out for a game in Seattle, and CU does have more alumni in places like that, but it just seems oversold to me. In fact, I think you can fill the road trip cravings with good OOC games. The CU Michigan game in Ann Arbor was great six years ago. Go to the Big 12, and do better road games on the OOC slate.
If Colorado were good, I would go on road trips.

If Colorado were good, I would go on road trips.
Check This Out GIF

CU fans didn’t go on PAC roadies because they were usually curb stompings.
Bingo.

hell, I canceled my season tickets because of time and family stuff. But i wasnt all that sad to see them go given that we were bad.

Ill be in Seattle in Nov to see us get crushed by UW. My Dad will fly from Miami for it. but there is another angle to that for me.

When I was in Seattle for the MSU game there were a lot of MSU fans around campus. Thats something you see when fans are optimistic about their team. I havent been optimistic About CU football since 2001 or so.

Fair enough on road trips, but I am addressing the freaks here on Allbuffs. You’re lovable freaks, but freaks nonetheless. Not sure the location of a November game matters all that much. When the time comes, take the cash, go to the big 12, make fun of them, and get sauced in some ****ty bar in Waco. You won’t care where you are if CU actually wins.

Fair enough on road trips, but I am addressing the freaks here on Allbuffs. You’re lovable freaks, but freaks nonetheless. Not sure the location of a November game matters all that much. When the time comes, take the cash, go to the big 12, make fun of them, and get sauced in some ****ty bar in Waco. You won’t care where you are if CU actually wins.
I have more fun in ****ty towns. But I only want to go to those ****ty towns if we don't suck.

Been to roadies in Norman (2), Waco, Lubbock (2), and Tempe. Most were when we lived in west TX quite a while ago. Night time kickoff in Tempe was 97 degrees. A dark and starry heat.

I was a big proponent of the PAC 12. It seemed like a great fit at the time. But a decade later, no PAC 12 fans come to Allbuffs to engage. We get more traffic from Huskers, and random OOC opponents. I’m frankly bored with the PAC 12. Zero passion. And when I make a mistake, I own it, and fix it. I honestly believe going back to the Big 12 is the right move for CU.

I was a big proponent of the PAC 12. It seemed like a great fit at the time. But a decade later, no PAC 12 fans come to Allbuffs to engage. We get more traffic from Huskers, and random OOC opponents. I’m frankly bored with the PAC 12. Zero passion. And when I make a mistake, I own it, and fix it. I honestly believe going back to the Big 12 is the right move for CU.
The main reason for joining with the P12 was connecting with alums to drive donations. Champions Center was good confirmation of the decision. But now that we're hearing all this chatter about the AD being broke, I don't think we can use this justification any more.

The main reason for joining with the P12 was connecting with alums to drive donations. Champions Center was good confirmation of the decision. But now that we're hearing all this chatter about the AD being broke, I don't think we can use this justification any more.
I think the alumni engagement over one game per year in SoCal is oversold. You become engaged with winning, not location.

Academic collaboration is also way oversold.

The one area where league affiliation does appear to be important is marketing. There is a degree of academic prestige associated with being in a certain league. And that is really what CU is holding on to.

There was that one Utah guy last year. Super nice guy

Right. That’s a small minority of college football road trips. Also, who gives a ****? Do you travel for a game a great football atmosphere or do you travel for a vacation with a game mixed in?
Those are the road trips we get if we end up in a pac-12 big-12 hybrid. Lose ALL the good pac-12 locations, get all the **** ass mid-western middle of ****ing nowhere ****holes.

We also lose Vegas as a Bball tournament site.

I cannot emphasize this enough: when we joined what was the P10, that was the top conference. The conference was mismanaged and things didn’t turn out well.

CU has been to only one more bowl game than KU since 2005.

Been traveling to Kansas occasionally...I-70 surface is getting better and seeing less road construction activities but that's pretty much it.
:oops: Something that will no longer be the case.

Last edited:
CU fans didn’t go on PAC roadies because they were usually curb stompings.
Yeah, and if CU plays like they are this year, they'll get curb stomped in the BigXII, too. My perception is that fans were somewhat willing to stomach the curb stompings to make a weekend trip to places like Seattle or LA. I'm not going to watch the Buffs get smashed *AND* be in Lubbock.

ESPN can still get a deal with the Big Ten for UW, UO, Stanford, and Cal. To reach that $16M figure per B1G school on top of what they are going to earn, that would be $320M. That is if they outbid Amazon for those schools.

Unfortunately the future of CU football and athletics is no longer in the hands of CU. People scoff at the idea of dropping football but that may be on the table within the next 5 years. If the PAC 12 TV deal is in the range of $20 million per year than CU will have to consider options which may include dropping to a Mountain West type conference and the PAC might already be there. It is becoming clearer the narrative of the Power 5 conferences is going by the wayside. It is becoming the Power 2 with another tier falling below that. The Big 10 is talking about $100 M per school per year payout. There is no way that PAC schools can compete with that with a $20 M payout per school.

Schools like CU are going to have to reevaluate how much they spend. Pac 12 schools will not be able to pay the Salaries to coaches that Big 10 schools do. There is going to have to be shift from what the system is today. I believe adding more schools removes more money than it adds.

What I hope happens (and this is really a hope) is the Big 10 decides to tie up the major TV markets in the west and invite CU, UW, ASU, and Stanford. That gives them Denver, Seattle, Phoenix and Bay Area TV markets. Oregon has been good but lacks a major TV market. Other than that type of scenario, CU is toast. Big12 or the Pac makes no difference as the money differential between those conferences and the Power 2 is too great to compete with.

CU football is dying and fans are worried about road trip quality.

Back