What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I am as optimistic as they come but we must be honest about where Colorado currently is and where expansion is. Buffnik is 100% correct. If you aren't adding substantial value, it's hard to convince these newly elite conferences to want to add you.

In fact, why would you want to add teams that DONT mean more money for everyone from TV? More buzz equals more money and money and buzz is the point of expansion.

And worse, adding those teams potentially waters down the new product you just created or already have.

Last edited:
I actually feel like there had to be a secret conversation between Rick George and Prime about going to the SEC

Maybe Prime doesnt want to be in the SEC. Maybe he watched all those B1G and SEC teams beat each other which ended up letting TCU into the NC game. Maybe he realizes he can recruit to CU and use the easier conference to play to get to the promiseland while Tucker, Harbaugh, Saban et al have a much much harder road. Maybe.

Maybe Primes success attracts another coach or two to the Pac12 and eventually that leads to success and praise and some ratings that improve TV. Maybe.

But for now: were f*cked.

So now the PAC12 won't die and could expand to 16 ?

Wha ????

I've been saying, the smartest thing to do is go to 16 and become a national conference. I would choose Georgia State though. I would like to have the Atlanta market more than Rice which has no market in Houston. Even Rice alums aren't sports fans of their school

i'm not worried. you guys worried?

i am not sure the west Virginia homer is as dialed in as he says on the fate of the pac.

if the big is done for now (except for nd), which appears to be true, then it limits a lot of options for pac and b12 schools longing for more.

the idea of the big 12 looting the pac at this point seems like hyperbole. who in the pac makes more money in a larger big 12 than they would make in the remnant pac, possibly expand with sdsu?

I've been saying, the smartest thing to do is go to 16 and become a national conference. I would choose Georgia State though. I would like to have the Atlanta market more than Rice which has no market in Houston. Even Rice alums aren't sports fans of their school
Georgia State? Dude.
Do you mean Georgia Tech? Because that’s probably a non starter as well.

It’s becoming increasingly clear to me that this particular round of expansion has come to its conclusion, with the possible exception of the PAC adding a couple schools just to keep at 12.

Eventually, the PAC, B12 and ACC will have to form some sort of coalition whereby they can compete for the best players and TV markets. If you want bi-coastal, that’s how you pull it off.
I also think the hassles of B1G membership along with the loss of traditional matchups could eventually lead USC and UCLA back to the PAC, or at least some kind of restructured PAC. That, or those two will whine incessantly about the travel hassles and coerce the B1G into further expansion westward.

Not sure how much Georgia State delivers the Atlanta market, so I can't comment there. But you are spot on with respect to Rice. NO ONE gives a **** about Rice Football.

Not sure how much Georgia State delivers the Atlanta market, so I can't comment there. But you are spot on with respect to Rice. NO ONE gives a **** about Rice Football.
For right now, limited as Rice.

They got 60k students a year, a massive alumni network that's mostly young, and they have a lot of upside. They are also really good at research and provide massive diversity. Their alums could end up massive fans by large numbers if the school was more relevant. The state of GA supports them at an exceptional rate. Being a P5 would be massive for them in terms of getting close to reaching their potential. You gotta realize, they didn't even have a football team when I was a college student. It's a fairly young program with massive improvements over the short period of time.

Georgia State? Dude.
Do you mean Georgia Tech? Because that’s probably a non starter as well.
Georgia State.
There is a lot of potential there.
R1
146.2m in research with no conference support.
Atlanta Airport is an international hub
60k students.
Atlanta is an elite college football market.
GA is an elite recruiting ground state
There isnt much in state competition at a P5 level since GT recruits nationally.
2nd most supported school in the state by the state. GA Tech and Emory tend to do their own thing and are more international based.

Georgia State.
There is a lot of potential there.
R1
146.2m in research with no conference support.
Atlanta Airport is an international hub
60k students.
Atlanta is an elite college football market.
GA is an elite recruiting ground state
There isnt much in state competition at a P5 level since GT recruits nationally.
2nd most supported school in the state by the state. GA Tech and Emory tend to do their own thing and are more international based.
C’mon man. The PAC isn’t adding Georgia State.

Brand on par with Cincy, UCF or Houston for G5 programs
You think so?
Media Market
Research dollars
State investment
Student body
Upside

I don't see them in the same atmosphere

Those others are all in major cities.
R1s
Massive student bodies.

I actually think that's one of the worst brands for P5 promotion in the Mountain West. They are North Dakota State for me. Where you are excellent at your current level but no upside for the next level.

Maybe I see things differently is all

If South Florida and Rice are being mentioned, they would seriously give consideration to GA State.
South Florida and Rice are only being mentioned by some goofy WVU fan. Nobody with any actual influence is seriously considering any of those schools.

For right now, limited as Rice.

They got 60k students a year, a massive alumni network that's mostly young, and they have a lot of upside. They are also really good at research and provide massive diversity. Their alums could end up massive fans by large numbers if the school was more relevant. The state of GA supports them at an exceptional rate. Being a P5 would be massive for them in terms of getting close to reaching their potential. You gotta realize, they didn't even have a football team when I was a college student. It's a fairly young program with massive improvements over the short period of time.
TV money dont give a sh*t about any of that.

TV gives a sh*t about marquee matchups that generate 4-5 million plus viewer audiences. Why? Because thats how they charge up the butt ad prices to make back the silly money they pay the conferences. Rice is not a premium property

You think so?
Media Market
Research dollars
State investment
Student body
Upside

I don't see them in the same atmosphere

Those others are all in major cities.
R1s
Massive student bodies.

I actually think that's one of the worst brands for P5 promotion in the Mountain West. They are North Dakota State for me. Where you are excellent at your current level but no upside for the next level.

Maybe I see things differently is all
How do you reconcile your thoughts on CU from the other day and these thoughts above? You can't say that CU is 11/12 in line for B1G or SEC expansion because of their terrible football brand, but then advocate for Georgia State to be a legit P5 expansion target because of research status, state investment, student body, airport size, etc.

Boise State doesn't bring much, but they are still a very recognizable brand and draw pretty solid TV ratings.

TV money dont give a sh*t about any of that.

TV gives a sh*t about marquee matchups that generate 4-5 million plus viewer audiences. Why? Because thats how they charge up the butt ad prices to make back the silly money they pay the conferences. Rice is not a premium property
None of these G5 do anything media wise. Even SDSU, SMU, and UNLV hold no real media value while being in major hubs

How do you reconcile your thoughts on CU from the other day and these thoughts above? You can't say that CU is 11/12 in line for B1G or SEC expansion because of their terrible football brand, but then advocate for Georgia State to be a legit P5 expansion target because of research status, state investment, student body, airport size, etc.

Boise State doesn't bring much, but they are still a very recognizable brand and draw pretty solid TV ratings.
I don't see the comparison?

Saying GA State is a good add compared to South Florida and Rice is massively different than the SEC and B1G who are only looking at the elite of elite brands.

So Boise has no upside is what you are saying?

I don't see the comparison?

Saying GA State is a good add compared to South Florida and Rice is massively different than the SEC and B1G who are only looking at the elite of elite brands.

So Boise has no upside is what you are saying?
The motivation of the Pac 12 expanding is the same motivation as the B1G and SEC expanding. The revenue might be on different levels, but the reason for expanding is the same. Adding Rice, USF and/or Georgia State to the Pac 12 makes as much sense as the B1G adding CU

I'm saying Boise has a football brand the drives ratings that far exceeds any of the programs you've mentioned and that's what expansion is about, not research status, or student body

None of these G5 do anything media wise. Even SDSU, SMU, and UNLV hold no real media value while being in major hubs
I think the conference is now waiting for the TV folks. There are 10 pretty good properties left. If the TV folks say ‘here is your money, no money for new teams’ then we stay at 10. If they signal that they want 2 more teams and are willing to pay then we go fishing.

Staying at 10 teams might be a problem in terms of not having a CCG. To make up for that we could force schedule all of the other 9 teams giving the TV people 90 conference games to air instead of 80.

The motivation of the Pac 12 expanding is the same motivation as the B1G and SEC expanding. The revenue might be on different levels, but the reason for expanding is the same. Adding Rice, USF and/or Georgia State to the Pac 12 makes as much sense as the B1G adding CU

I'm saying Boise has a football brand the drives ratings that far exceeds any of the programs you've mentioned and that's what expansion is about, not research status, or student body
How? Honestly, how?

One can afford to be choosy, the other has to think outside of the box. That's not the same scenario. Do you really think SDSU is a good add if you had your choice? It's the best add that's available but even you would agree, you would pick about five Big XII schools before you bat an eye to SDSU

If the conference was to go to 16, you would have a lot of options that look a lot like the other option. I don't see how that is the same as CU to the B1G.

Football brands are meaningless if you can't move the needle. No remaining G5 has a football brand that moves the needle. That's why Market size, research potential, student body popl and potential have a lot more impact. That's why SDSU is miles better of an add than Boise. I would take Rice over Boise. I would easily take South Florida or GA State ahead of Boise. Boise does nothing to improve the conference prestige and everything else, they would finish dead last in compared to the others. BYU football moves the needle. Gonzaga Basketball moves the needle.

Everyone else is just mid. You gotta bring them up to speed if you are a P5 conference

I’d put Georgia States chances at a PAC invite somewhere below those of Hawaii.
Hawaii is a really good add. Especially as a Football only add. That's tier 1 addition you can add to sell for networks and Amazon.

Someone said Gonzaga for all non football sports and Hawaii for football is a smart man

I think the conference is now waiting for the TV folks. There are 10 pretty good properties left. If the TV folks say ‘here is your money, no money for new teams’ then we stay at 10. If they signal that they want 2 more teams and are willing to pay then we go fishing.

Staying at 10 teams might be a problem in terms of not having a CCG. To make up for that we could force schedule all of the other 9 teams giving the TV people 90 conference games to air instead of 80.
Ten teams won't meet the TV needs and you would lack a lot of T1 content. The problem is, there is no team that's a good add. You just bringing in mids.

Stop this ADD crap, there is no adding anything that is not at the top of a current conference, it moves us farther away instead of closer.

If the PAC comes back anywhere close to say $30 million on its own, then we cannot sign a GOR, cause it hurts us too much.

I do not like the Big 12, but if that is our only option to move up the food chain, then so be it.

I want to be in the Super League, and I feel like there will be a North-South Super League someday, which means I would prefer to be in the south side for now, which is where 80% of the talent in the country is.

Larry Scott is responsible for Billions of Dollars of losses and struggles, so sad

Stop this ADD crap, there is no adding anything that is not at the top of a current conference, it moves us farther away instead of closer.

If the PAC comes back anywhere close to say $30 million on its own, then we cannot sign a GOR, cause it hurts us too much.

I do not like the Big 12, but if that is our only option to move up the food chain, then so be it.

I want to be in the Super League, and I feel like there will be a North-South Super League someday, which means I would prefer to be in the south side for now, which is where 80% of the talent in the country is.

Larry Scott is responsible for Billions of Dollars of losses and struggles, so sad
I have to think the TV people will meet an inflection point soon where the create the super league so they dont have to pay the Vanderbilts and Illinois of the world but get the Michigans, Ohio States, UGa, LSU, Alabama, etc.

I have a hard time seeing CU making it into that unless its larger then 36 (4 nine team pods)

Back