What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF

I think all of us can agree that the biggest impediment for CU football has been CU itself. The administration hasn’t given support under Distefano that last 15 years. CU has been terrible. Invites generally go to winning programs. Hopefully that is changing.

Despite all the losing, CU still ranks as #7 in average attendance for the PAC 12 over a five year period, and is usually only a shade behind Utah, which is enjoying better recent success. CU draws fairly well when it’s awful, and draws really well when it’s good.

A decade ago, the Big Ten wanted CU. Many of those reasons hold true still today. The SEC took Missouri, a program that frankly CU fans used to look down upon before the great unraveling of the program. So, is it possible to go to those conferences? Yes. But I agree it’s very remote right now, but there are some narrow pathways for geographic balance among TV markets. I think we all agree that if CU starts winning again, the opportunities will grow.

in the meantime, CU will listen to what the PAC 12 offers, and what the Big 12 offers. We will know the numbers fairly soon.

Last edited:

The Pac-12's next media rights deal will be heavily reliant on a digital streaming partner. Significantly more than half of each season's Pac-12 football games will be primarily available via streaming as part of the conference's next rights deal, sources tell CBS Sports.

Such a ratio is unprecedented for a Power Five conference and for whichever streaming giant becomes the first to more fully embrace college sports. The move would likely upset Pac-12 coaches, athletic directors and administrators who rely on widespread visibility for their games via linear (cable) and network platforms for everything from athletic recruitment to university enrollment.

This is why I want no part of the PAC anymore for CU.
Big12 will be on BOTH ESPN and FOX. So much more available to the casual viewer.
I really hate adding SDSU and smu and having more than half of the games 'hidden' on Amazon or Apple.

The Pac-12's next media rights deal will be heavily reliant on a digital streaming partner. Significantly more than half of each season's Pac-12 football games will be primarily available via streaming as part of the conference's next rights deal, sources tell CBS Sports.

Such a ratio is unprecedented for a Power Five conference and for whichever streaming giant becomes the first to more fully embrace college sports. The move would likely upset Pac-12 coaches, athletic directors and administrators who rely on widespread visibility for their games via linear (cable) and network platforms for everything from athletic recruitment to university enrollment.

Big12 will be on BOTH ESPN and FOX. So much more available to the casual viewer.
I really hate adding SDSU and smu and having more than half of the games 'hidden' on Amazon or Apple.

You are complaining because the Pac-12 is going to have a massive upgrade in viewership distribution? From Pac-12 Network to Amazon? You'd complain about having to pay taxes on your lotto winnings.

I get what you are saying about ESPN and Fox, but from my own personal perspective, I’d love a PAC 12 only streaming package because that’s how I consume TV. I don‘t have Fox outside the broadcast channel. The only partners I don’t want are Fox and ESPN

I’d be great with Amazon, or Apple+. I think the market between traditional cable subscribers, cable-like streamers using You Tube TV and Sling, and “no live TV“ streamers is fairly split now. Personally, I have no live TV (except broadcast) because I wouldn’t use it except for Buff games. When the Buffs play, I go to the local pub two blocks away or I listen on the radio while doing something else. I did radio the last two seasons mostly because, well, Dorrell.

Did we get a B1G or SEC invite that we turned down?
The “major conference” part is inaccurate, but I think there’s legitimate concern about the majority of the games being on an Amazon or Apple TV subscription app rather than a network like ESPN or Fox.

It might be better than the Pac 12 Networks, but is that really the standard we’re hoping to beat with this media deal?

Go ahead and put your Miami Vice VHS into the player, pops. Don’t forget to take out your dentures before you fall asleep. “Pride and Tradition” and whatnot.

The “major conference” part is inaccurate, but I think there’s legitimate concern about the majority of the games being on an Amazon or Apple TV subscription app rather than a network like ESPN or Fox.

It might be better than the Pac 12 Networks, but is that really the standard we’re hoping to beat with this media deal?
The standards I'm going by with this deal are:

1. Is the money in line with what ACC and Big 12 members earn?

2. Are recruits & player families able to see every CU game?

If the answers are "yes", it's a good deal that at least gets us to the next round of realignment.

ESPN has 75 million subscribers, after losing 10% of its subscribers in 2021.

Amazon Prime has 148 million, a 49% increase since 2017.
The standards I'm going by with this deal are:

1. Is the money in line with what ACC and Big 12 members earn?

2. Are recruits & player families able to see every CU game?

If the answers are "yes", it's a good deal that at least gets us to the next round of realignment.
But this is predicated on a separate sports streaming app that Amazon wants to launch, not simply having an Amazon Prime account. At least that’s the idea that Canzano has put out today or yesterday.

ESPN has 75 million subscribers, after losing 10% of its subscribers in 2021.

Amazon Prime has 148 million, a 49% increase since 2017.
Probably misleading. I’m not going to dive into the figures, but I suspect many of those 148 Million subscribers are foreign, while the vast majority of the 75 million ESPN subs are domestic. I don’t think distribution in Greece and Argentina is terribly important to the PAC 12.

But this is predicated on a separate sports streaming app that Amazon wants to launch, not simply having an Amazon Prime account. At least that’s the idea that Canzano has put out today or yesterday.
At least you can get it. Should also play in bars since they'll have it for Thu night NFL.

At least you can get it. Should also play in bars since they'll have it for Thu night NFL.
Yes, I can and will get it because im a CU/Pac 12 fan and will pay what it costs to watch them. That’s hardly the point, though, and is no different than the Pac 12 Network. The East Coast crowd (hello to our new recruiting grounds) isn’t going to pay for it

Yes, I can and will get it because im a CU/Pac 12 fan and will pay what it costs to watch them. That’s hardly the point, though, and is no different than the Pac 12 Network. The East Coast crowd (hello to our new recruiting grounds) isn’t going to pay for it
You don't think people will subscribe to an Amazon premium channel that carries NFL games, Pac-12 games, and other unique content?

Agree to disagree.

With streaming you won't get the casual viewer who might channel surf their way to let's say a Colorado vs ASU match-up.
Surfing into Amazon is a slow pain in the ass. As a Buff fan I'll watch it but surfing over to a different game during commercials is not smooth.
Sorry but I don't like it.

With streaming you won't get the casual viewer who might channel surf their way to let's say a Colorado vs ASU match-up.
Surfing into Amazon is a slow pain in the ass. As a Buff fan I'll watch it but surfing over to a different game during commercials is not smooth.
Sorry but I don't like it.
I don’t disagree with you that the old way of just hitting “last” on the TV remote was an easy way to bounce between games, but that form of watching TV has been dead, in my household, for years now. I don’t think the trend for ESPN is good, and it’s downright awful for Fox that really doesn’t have any foothold into streaming at all.

Have to define what a blue blood is, though.
You left off Notre Dame. Auburn is another potential one.

For me its Multiple National Championships over the span of several staffs/decades. A team that is regularly in the Top25 more years then it isnt and frequently finishes with the conference crown or second to it. New Years Day bowler and or CFP appearance.

Alabama✅, Georgia✅, Florida, LSU✅, USC✅, Ohio State✅, Michigan✅, Texas✅, Oklahoma✅ and Clemson✅ as of late/FSU✅ and Miami✅

I think at this point, the Pac is just trying to maximize revenue to the extent possible to hold it over for the next 5-6 years before things get shaken up again. Have to think the networks/streaming companies are basically telling them what each program addition brings to the table. Also think they are probably trying to bring on those schools at reduced payouts relative to the rest of the conference

Dear Pac-12, we’d like to have more Prime Members in this market so please add this team….

You don't think people will subscribe to an Amazon premium channel that carries NFL games, Pac-12 games, and other unique content?

Agree to disagree.
Do I think the majority of the country is going to pay for yet another sports app just so they can watch a USC/UCLA-less Pac 10? No and I don’t understand why you think they will. The only hope for that scenario is if the NFL adds inventory to it as well, but it better be more than Thursday night football.

Do I think the majority of the country is going to pay for yet another sports app just so they can watch a USC/UCLA-less Pac 10? No and I don’t understand why you think they will. The only hope for that scenario is if the NFL adds inventory to it as well, but it better be more than Thursday night football.
As long as you're coming at this from the mindset that the new Amazon streaming channel is going to be basically "PACN brought to you by Amazon" instead of part of a content package which has broad appeal, there's not a lot of common ground for discussion.

Probably misleading. I’m not going to dive into the figures, but I suspect many of those 148 Million subscribers are foreign, while the vast majority of the 75 million ESPN subs are domestic. I don’t think distribution in Greece and Argentina is terribly important to the PAC 12.
13059EBF-E813-47BE-955A-4561A0F604D8.jpeg

As long as you're coming at this from the mindset that the new Amazon streaming channel is going to be basically "PACN brought to you by Amazon" instead of part of a content package which has broad appeal, there's not a lot of common ground for discussion.
You believe Pac 10 + SDSU and SMU football has broad national appeal to the point where people in FL and GA (hell, even TX for that matter) are going to pay extra for that content package? As I said, I can agree with you if they are also able to get more NFL content, but not sure they are going to get that with Google/YouTube getting Sunday Ticket.

Now, if the mystery streaming partner is Google/YouTube then my concerns are moot as that will have legit nationwide distribution.

You believe Pac 10 + SDSU and SMU football has broad national appeal to the point where people in FL and GA (hell, even TX for that matter) are going to pay extra for that content package? As I said, I can agree with you if they are also able to get more NFL content, but not sure they are going to get that with Google/YouTube getting Sunday Ticket.

Now, if the mystery streaming partner is Google/YouTube then my concerns are moot as that will have legit nationwide distribution.
No. I don't think that. But I don't think that it's the "Pac-12 brought to you by Amazon" app, as you keep insisting.

Back