What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Everyone is right when they say the minute you end the GOR for the ACC, all of the top brands will run to the P2s. At that point, it's a fight for the other ACC schools to find new homes. My guess is ESPN deal with the PAC is just good enough so the PAC don't poach the ACC which is a great deal for ESPN and they know it too.

Last edited:
If 8 ACC schools had invited to the P2, they would have voted to dissolve by now. In this hypothetical, the ACC programs aren’t breaking their GOR unless an agreement is in place to join the Pac
The ACC thing does not exist outside of message board posts. If there were even talks about it that would involved all 10 Pac schools, at least 8 schools in the ACC, and whatever media entities were involved. That is 19+ places that could originate leaks. No way to keep a secret with so many people involved.

playing that whole idea out, if the ACC is breaking up and teams are ditching for the B1G/SEC, UW/UO almost certainly get B1G invites at that point too, no?

Won't happen but the best part of a PAC-ACC merger would be the position in which it places USC and UCLA.

giphy.gif

playing that whole idea out, if the ACC is breaking up and teams are ditching for the B1G/SEC, UW/UO almost certainly get B1G invites at that point too, no?
Not following. Are you suggesting you UW/UO as similar value to Notre Dame and North Carolina?

Well the whole scenario is predicated on 8 teams being able to better their current situations, but there aren’t 8 that the B1G and SEC would invite right now. So this entire hypothetical is based on the 8 ACC programs dissolving specifically to join the Pac8/10.

The Pac isn’t going to extend an invite to the ACC and just end up with Syracuse, BC, and Wake Forest

Also, none of this is actually going to happen anyways so whatever whatever

Notably more in my perception.

is UNC closer to ND or UW/UO in your perception

I think UNC is worth more than UW/UO but not notably more, probably closer to UW/UO than to ND as far as value. UNC is going to be coveted by both the B1G and SEC and North Carolina is probably the state the SEC would like to get into the most that they're not already in. And not sure how much of a factor this would be if at all but the SEC Network is based in Charlotte.

I think UNC is worth more than UW/UO but not notably more, probably closer to UW/UO than to ND as far as value. UNC is going to be coveted by both the B1G and SEC and North Carolina is probably the state the SEC would like to get into the most that they're not already in. And not sure how much of a factor this would be if at all but the SEC Network is based in Charlotte.
I think that UNC is desirable to both P2 conferences is a big reason for their high value. Located in a populous state (in which neither has a foothold), flagship, incredible athletic history, AAU. They're the total package.

I think that UNC is desirable to both P2 conferences is a big reason for their high value. Located in a populous state (in which neither has a foothold), flagship, incredible athletic history, AAU. They're the total package.

I agree with all that except I would point out their fans are a bit apathetic towards football.

I agree with all that except I would point out their fans are a bit apathetic towards football.

and they're generally not very good at the football

UO and UW aren't blue blood in football, but they have at least both been in the CFP in the last decade or so. UNC hasn't won a conference since 1980

But I can see cases why they'd be more valuable than the PNW schools. Idk about notably. Population, geography, academics, all point to UNC. Football and getting into entire new areas of the country would seem to point to the NW. Then factor in the SEC almost certainly has zero interest in anything west of Texas

IIRC Andy Staples did a podcast about UNC one time and he thought the real dream for the B1G would be to add UNC/ND/UW/UO. Gets them a little further south and covers the west coast. He figured the SEC would want them too, but could also make a football case for other ACC schools over them.

and they're generally not very good at the football

UO and UW aren't blue blood in football, but they have at least both been in the CFP in the last decade or so. UNC hasn't won a conference since 1980

But I can see cases why they'd be more valuable than the PNW schools. Idk about notably. Population, geography, academics, all point to UNC. Football and getting into entire new areas of the country would seem to point to the NW. Then factor in the SEC almost certainly has zero interest in anything west of Texas

IIRC Andy Staples did a podcast about UNC one time and he thought the real dream for the B1G would be to add UNC/ND/UW/UO. Gets them a little further south and covers the west coast. He figured the SEC would want them too, but could also make a football case for other ACC schools over them.

UNC has at least been in the conversation for a CFP berth at times though. Were potentially an ACCCG win away from making it in 2015, were preseason top 10 in 2021 before underachieving in a big way, and in 2022 had a good team and if not for a couple of inexplicable losses to ND and GT could have been playing for a CFP berth in the ACCCG. Although they lost that game badly. Point is, the ACC has been a 1-horse league since 2015 and UNC has been the only other team who has even come close to sniffing a CFP berth if you discount the 2020 season where ND was in the conference.

UNC has at least been in the conversation for a CFP berth at times though. Were potentially an ACCCG win away from making it in 2015, were preseason top 10 in 2021 before underachieving in a big way, and in 2022 had a good team and if not for a couple of inexplicable losses to ND and GT could have been playing for a CFP berth in the ACCCG. Although they lost that game badly. Point is, the ACC has been a 1-horse league since 2015 and UNC has been the only other team who has even come close to sniffing a CFP berth if you discount the 2020 season where ND was in the conference.

the irony being if UNC were a P12 team you'd **** all over them

If we just throw out multiple unfortunate losses, UW really has a case for 2022. Get rid of those pesky losses by 8 and 7 to UCLA and ASU and they're undefeated and in the CFP

the irony being if UNC were a P12 team you'd **** all over them

If we just throw out multiple unfortunate losses, UW really has a case for 2022. Get rid of those pesky losses by 8 and 7 to UCLA and ASU and they're undefeated and in the CFP

You're missing the point of what I was saying, which is that UNC is the only other ACC team besides Clemson who has remotely been in the CFP conversation. And for the record I hate UNC.

The ACC network is worth north of $200 Million a year to ESPN & the ACC. It will be interesting to see what the revenue distribution for the ACC will be for 2022 - 1st full year of the ACCNET. I think the ACC looks at what is happening with the PAC12 and feels better about their conference payout. It may be smaller than some of the other conferences but looks way better than what the PAC12 is looking at plus they have a partner in ESPN that wants them viable. That is why going it alone with the PAC12 Network was so stupid. If we had a media partner, they would be invested in keeping the PAC12 viable.

You're missing the point of what I was saying, which is that UNC is the only other ACC team besides Clemson who has remotely been in the CFP conversation. And for the record I hate UNC.
FSU did win the Natty the year before the CFP started, though. When was UNC in the CFP conversation beyond like week 7 or 8 when a bunch of teams are still in it?

FSU did win the Natty the year before the CFP started, though. When was UNC in the CFP conversation beyond like week 7 or 8 when a bunch of teams are still in it?

Yes about FSU but I was talking about since 2015. And FSU was in the CFP in the first year of it, 2014 I think it was. 2015 is the only year they were seriously in it going into the ACCCG. Beyond that no, but what I'm saying is they are the only other ACC team after Clemson that has even been in the CFP discussion. Which I know isn't saying much but at least they haven't been a BC, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, etc as far as a possible CFP contender from the ACC.

Note: I guess Miami was also in CFP contention a few years ago until they lost against Pitt late and then got killed in the ACC title game.

Fair enough, but FSU did win a natty 10ish years ago. Prior to the CFP I guess.

Anyway, how the hell did I get dragged into some UNC valuation argument. God damn you @hokiehead

My original point was, if we somehow did manage to break up the ACC and they were free of their GOR, what would stop the valuable ones from just going to the B1G/SEC? So then we have the B1G adding teams, then they'd presumably go hard to add ND/UW/UO depending on how many ACC teams they'd want to add. At that point then I suppose this UNC valuation discussion pops up

As for ND, regardless of how hard the B1G courts them it's gonna come down to whenever ND decides they want to join a conference. ND knows they can join any conference in the country at any time. Neither the B1G or SEC is going to give them a bigger piece of the financial pie or special concessions when it comes to football scheduling. The ACC gave them a home for all their non-football sports in a trade-off that ND plays 5 ACC teams per season, rotating all schools home and home on a regular basis. They also don't have to share their NBC money. But with the B1G or SEC it would have to be full membership with no special treatment.

MHver3 is at it again.
Says there's rumors PAC is reaching out
to Big12 about a merger of sorts.
Says they aren't getting enough votes for SDSU an SMU.

MHver3 is at it again.
Says there's rumors PAC is reaching out
to Big12 about a merger of sorts.
Says they aren't getting enough votes for SDSU an SMU.

Some of it makes sense. No way would I vote to add two schools unless there was a guarantee from a media partner of more revenue to make it worthwhile. But I don't think the PAC12 is reaching out to the Big 12.

Some of it makes sense. No way would I vote to add two schools unless there was a guarantee from a media partner of more revenue to make it worthwhile. But I don't think the PAC12 is reaching out to the Big 12.

Agree that I don't think the Pac12 would be reaching out as a conference but certain schools reaching out would make sense. MHVER reported it was all Pac schools except Cal and Stanford which I don't buy because I don't think there would be any Big 12 interest in WSU or OSU either. Any or all of the other 6 is plausible though.

Back