What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Apple TV would be like hospice care for the next 5 years for the PAC. I can guarantee Coach Prime will not be happy with limited eyes on his product. He preaches exposure and this ain't it.

I understand the narrative around overall distribution right now. However, I totally agree that this is so easy from a customer perspective. You pay $5.99 (or $8.99 if that’s the bump) per month and get all the Apple content, including the PAC 12.

If the games are on ESPN, you have to pay anywhere from $40 to $90 per month in a bundle, with a bunch of crap that nobody wants (like Fox News).

From the responses, clearly there is a schism between linear TV holdouts and streamers. I think you linear tv holdouts are bat **** crazy.
Yep. Apple tv has great content outside of this too. I’d happily pay 10$/month for Apple tv with all their great shows and football. To your point, I probably already pay more than that for cnn, Fox News, msnbc, etc. all channels I never watch. I pay a lot to watch the nuggets avs and football…

I understand the narrative around overall distribution right now. However, I totally agree that this is so easy from a customer perspective. You pay $5.99 (or $8.99 if that’s the bump) per month and get all the Apple content, including the PAC 12.

If the games are on ESPN, you have to pay anywhere from $40 to $90 per month in a bundle, with a bunch of crap that nobody wants (like Fox News).

From the responses, clearly there is a schism between linear TV holdouts and streamers. I think you linear tv holdouts are bat **** crazy.

In the case of MLS it's an extra $14.99 per month, so I'm sure there would be an extra charge for Pac10 football as well.

not everyone has fast enough internet to even view a game plus sports bars etc will not have it at all
Serious question, where do you have these streaming problems? In the past 12 months, I’ve been to Vinalhaven Maine (an island in the Atlantic), Rolletown Bahamas which really lacks paved roads and doctors, and a hunting camp outside of Eulala Alabama and could stream with zero issues in each of these places.

I just bought the MLS package so now I’m even more curious about the quality of Apple TV. I do worry about the PAC being a separate package, I don’t know what the market is for the conference alone. It seems like the best hope would be for it to be in some sort of sports package that includes MLB, MLS, PAC games and whatever else Apple hopefully adds to their inventory.

Or $99 per year, which is $8.25 per month, so I overstated at $8.99 per month. It’s cheaper!

Actually about $10 per month since the MLS season is about 9.5 months long.

I just bought the MLS package so now I’m even more curious about the quality of Apple TV. I do worry about the PAC being a separate package, I don’t know what the market is for the conference alone. It seems like the best hope would be for it to be in some sort of sports package that includes MLB, MLS, PAC games and whatever else Apple hopefully adds to their inventory.

Is the MLS package in addition to the AppleTV+ cost of $6.99 per month?

When the Pac 12N was blacked out on DTV, a large portion of bars didn’t carry it. Over time, many in Colorado got Comcast as well as DTV and it became less of an issue, but if people think bars (and households) in Florida, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, etc are going to subscribe to Apple TV just to have access to Pac 10 football, I think we’re in for a rude awakening.

When the Pac 12N was blacked out on DTV, a large portion of bars didn’t carry it. Over time, many in Colorado got Comcast as well as DTV and it became less of an issue, but if people think bars (and households) in Florida, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, etc are going to subscribe to Apple TV just to have access to Pac 10 football, I think we’re in for a rude awakening.
I think everything you say is valid. I also think there is value in partnering with Apple TV (the best streaming service imo). They have half of the subscribers in their first few years as cable does. I think being part of their sports package will be great as it continues to grow. I’m also an Apple fan boy, so keep that in mind.

I think everything you say is valid. I also think there is value in partnering with Apple TV (the best streaming service imo). They have half of the subscribers in their first few years as cable does. I think being part of their sports package will be great as it continues to grow. I’m also an Apple fan boy, so keep that in mind.
I’d love to be proven wrong, but I just think this is one area where it’s not best to be first to market. If the deal was for 2 years with an option for a big increase based on traffic and subscriber increase, I would be intrigued. I’m just skeptical about the exposure

I’d love to be proven wrong, but I just think this is one area where it’s not best to be first to market. If the deal was for 2 years with an option for a big increase based on traffic and subscriber increase, I would be intrigued. I’m just skeptical about the exposure
It’s definitely not the best to be first to market. It’s just the situation the pac seems to be in. But, if it has to be first to an emerging market, I think Apple is the best partner out there. Tim cook may be the best ceo in the world and apple consistently puts out great products and services.

In case anyone is really wondering about bars carrying content on streaming services, they do. Well, if the bar is one of the highly select 300,000.

In case anyone is really wondering about bars carrying content on streaming services, they do. Well, if the bar is one of the highly select 300,000.

Quit polishing a turd.

I would love it as a customer. I dropped cable in 2007 and have been illegally streaming sports ever since. This would be the first time I paid to watch CU in ages.

Yes, school payouts would suck, but even the vaunted B10 and SEC will be facing this future soon.

I would add that Disney itself through CEO Bob Igor has stated that they expect ESPN will be a streaming only service at some point in the future. He has stated the inflection point is when the number of households getting it through a bundle service falls below 50 million homes. Presently, the number for ESPN sits at 74 million homes, with an annual subscriber loss of 8 million per year. I do not know if that burn will slow or speed up or remain constant. But it is conceivable that ESPN could pierce that 50 million number within three years.

The few things that will be on legacy broadcast networks will soon be talk shows, game shows, reruns, and unscripted TV (aka reality shows), because they are all incredibly cheap to produce.

I would add that Disney itself through CEO Bob Igor has stated that they expect ESPN will be a streaming only service at some point in the future. He has stated the inflection point is when the number of households getting it through a bundle service falls below 50 million homes. Presently, the number for ESPN sits at 74 million homes, with an annual subscriber loss of 8 million per year. I do not know if that burn will slow or speed up or remain constant. But it is conceivable that ESPN could pierce that 50 million number within three years.

The few things that will be on legacy broadcast networks will soon be talk shows, game shows, reruns, and unscripted TV (aka reality shows), because they are all incredibly cheap to produce.
NFL Sunday ticket is also a streaming product now. Again, not always the best to be first in a new market, but it’s the hand the pac 12 dealt itself, so might as well embrace it. As a fan and customer I’m excited.

NFL Sunday ticket is also a streaming product now. Again, not always the best to be first in a new market, but it’s the hand the pac 12 dealt itself, so might as well embrace it. As a fan and customer I’m excited.
I’d be excited about the possibilities if the Pac got a deal from YouTube to go along with Sunday Ticket

All I can do is laugh.
This is so so bad. Worse than the PAC12 Network bad.

Maybe streaming is the future but the future isn't now. Linear broadcasting is the way right this instant and isn't going away anytime soon.

Christ ! Get the **** out of the dead man walking PAC and join the BIG12 NOW !!
Rumor is that the Linear offers only wants 1 game a weekend. The best game in the conference too. Fox is full. ABC/ESPN too. They only wanted us for 10pm ET kickoffs. NBC has exitied college football completely sans Notre Dame. CBS has one foot out the door now too. Both likely deeming it too expensive. The big TV players got their content, their super ratings matchups, and were not included. Were not getting an invite for another 5 years too. You might not like it but thats the way it is.

Dollars to doughnuts, If it comes down to Amazon broadcasting all games, even for less then everyone else, Id take that for the eye ball count.

Ive been warning you all for awhile that the future of TV will be fractured behind the paywalls of numerous streaming services.

Last edited:
**** yes.
Exposure is king right now.
I'll be shocked if Oregon and/or Washington agree to this.
What are your metrics for exposure? Hard to believe and Apple TV deal would give less exposure than the Pac 12 Network. I agree, in the present conditions Apple TV would not give the exposure that Big Noon Kickoff on Fox gives, but it's a major step forward from where they are now and to me is the future of sports watching.

I think Coach Prime is the biggest example in college football of using alternatives to build his program without traditional network support (well off media, amazon prime docuseries, etc). My totally homer take right now is a Coach Prime led CU team is the most valuable property in the conference in terms of drawing eyeballs. We see evidence of this with Brandon Baker's CU recruiting visit videos getting 5x the views of the Oregon visit or (dumb example I know) CU's Barstool account having the most followers of any Barstool account in the conference. I would be very interested to see how Apple could capitalize on what CP already brings.

Serious question, where do you have these streaming problems? In the past 12 months, I’ve been to Vinalhaven Maine (an island in the Atlantic), Rolletown Bahamas which really lacks paved roads and doctors, and a hunting camp outside of Eulala Alabama and could stream with zero issues in each of these places.
apple ii 80s GIF

Rumor is that Linear offers only wants 1 game a weekend. The best game in the conference too. Fox is full. ABC/ESPN too. They only wanted us for 10pm ET kickoffs. NBC has exitied college football completely sans Notre Dame. CBS has one foot out the door now too. Were not getting an invite for another 5 years. The big players got their content, their super ratings matchups, and were not included. You might not like it but thats the way it is.

Dollars to doughnuts. If it comes down to Amazon broadcasting all games, even for slightly less then everyone else, Id take the eye ball count.

Ive been warning you all for awhile that the future of TV will be fractured begind the paywalls of numerous streaming services.
Dude, CBS is just as in as they’ve ever been, they just now with the B1G instead of SEC, and NBC also increased their CFB presence by going in with the B1G. The point remains that the linear networks are now full since Fox is no longer interested in the Pac 10, though.

The fact that Fox has been out on the Pac basically since SC and UCLA announced they were leaving, and GK and the Pac still decided there was no rush to get the deal done before the Big 12 was the biggest mistake

What are your metrics for exposure? Hard to believe and Apple TV deal would give less exposure than the Pac 12 Network. I agree, in the present conditions Apple TV would not give the exposure that Big Noon Kickoff on Fox gives, but it's a major step forward from where they are now and to me is the future of sports watching.

I think Coach Prime is the biggest example in college football of using alternatives to build his program without traditional network support (well off media, amazon prime docuseries, etc). My totally homer take right now is a Coach Prime led CU team is the most valuable property in the conference in terms of drawing eyeballs. We see evidence of this with Brandon Baker's CU recruiting visit videos getting 5x the views of the Oregon visit or (dumb example I know) CU's Barstool account having the most followers of any Barstool account in the conference. I would be very interested to see how Apple could capitalize on what CP already brings.
I'd rather go Big12 with eye balls on ESPN and FOX than Apple TV.
Paramount+ has more eyes than Apple.
Oregon and Washington won't sign so this is a dead idea.
Go to Twitter and see who's supporting this. Nobody.

The issue is that being better than the Pac 12 Network is not the bar they need to clear. And with the current deal, the marquee Pac games are still on Fox or ESPN/ABC (or ESPN2 or FS1). The rest of the content was P12N, so it was essentially the same exposure as every other conference for the most part.

In an agreement with Apple or Amazon, none of the marquee games will be on FOX or ABC/ESPN

Back