What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Is Stillwater or Lubbock as fun as Tempe or Seattle? Lol ..of course not but road trips shouldn't be the #1 reason to be in a conference. BTW I've heard there are some fun bars/restaurants near Okie St.

As for BIG 12 roadies... I'd go to Morgantown, Cincinnati, Orlando. I hear KU has a pretty campus.
There are potential "fun" bars/restaurants near almost any college campus in the whole country, but...

Orlando is a ****hole with a theme park.

Morgantown is a crumbling campus surrounded by poverty and meth.

Cinci is worth a visit. Once.

Lawrence, Stoolwater, Ames, Manhattan, Lubbock, and Waco are all ****holes.

Houston has some world class restaurants and bars.

DFW is DFW with all of its pros and mostly minuses.

Provo could be nice, but it's basically Boulder with even less diversity and no alcohol.

What's key there is that with the exception of visiting a theme park that happens to be located in one of those locations, none of those are locations you would go to absent a compelling reason to do so.

OTOH,

Many of the locations in the Pac are places where people choose to visit just for the enjoyment of visiting the area. It's definitely a plus.

The B1G also suffers from ****ty location problems, but at least it compensates with actual quality football tradition.

Great. now we are rehashing the ACC merger deal that the Athletic posited weeks ago. fantastic.
Well, as you noted earlier ITT, the "new scoop" on 247 suggests the hold up in a new media deal is due to conversations being had with the ACC. I think both conferences are in a major bind from a financial standpoint with both having multiple high level brands that aren't willing to take half or 1/3 of what Vanderbilt and Indiana are getting. I think when the former head of ESPN is talking about how that makes the most sense for the two conferences, it's worth mentioning, and something they should be exploring.

Except 3 of those teams are already in the B1G so that wouldn't make any sense in the context of the Big 12. Unless he completely mangled his message.
Don’t put it past McChesney to completely mangle his message.

Didn’t I already say that?

The Big 12 is pretty gross. I'm not sure the fate of the Pac, but the Big 12 is gross. I'll root for CU whatever conference they play in. Also, I'll confess that I'm not even sure who is in the Big 12 anymore, but it seems gross. Is there a single road game worth travelling for?
Tulane!

Wait. Tulane is in the B12, isn’t it?

Well, as you noted earlier ITT, the "new scoop" on 247 suggests the hold up in a new media deal is due to conversations being had with the ACC. I think both conferences are in a major bind from a financial standpoint with both having multiple high level brands that aren't willing to take half or 1/3 of what Vanderbilt and Indiana are getting. I think when the former head of ESPN is talking about how that makes the most sense for the two conferences, it's worth mentioning, and something they should be exploring.
I didn't say that. I just said it was funny that ITB didn't come in here frothing at the mouth about that particular scoop.

It's definitely an intriguing idea. Would be funny if the Athletic's article was the impetus for it gaining steam. I do think it's funny people are acting like this ex-ESPN guy just had a great new idea though.

Forget merging with the ACC, do a merge with the B12 AND the ACC. Combine all three into one national conference and kick a few stragglers to the curb in the process. Make it a 32 team “league” and use the P12 network infrastructure to televise all the games. Profit.

The prodigal account has returned. Like Jordan rocking the 45… I’m back. You’re probably thinking, who?

Unfortunately, I got locked out of my first account bc I forgot all of my credentials (Vic Victory).

Why now? It looks like some friggen sanity has come to this board! I haven’t checked Allbuffs since July but I’m loving the hatred of the B12 and all that comes with it.

Back in July, different story. Here’s where I left off:

-I was pretty friggen clear the B12 is a clown show of losers. I had ahole-skin from over here tell me that no, the B12 is great! It’s the P12 that’s sucks. And that CU sucks as well. And wine sucks. Whatever. I’m seeing the opposite here now and what more could I ask for.

-Said we’re a better fit in the B1G. And now here we are all (mostly) agreeing with that bc it’s f’ing true.

-Came up with an idea that puts the best P12 and ACC teams in a conference and surprise surprise the AD and Chancellor of North Carolina were texting each other the exact same thing! At nearly the exact same time. Thank you FOIA.

So what now? We sign this stupid P12 deal, dominate these b*****, and raise our stock until we get a real invite somewhere else.

Or the P12 holds bc no one wants to fly from PA to Washington or Oregon in November. Would you? I live in Northern California and even I think Washington is far.

If none of those, we dominate and then merge the best of the P12 with the ACC. Those are our options.

I didn't say that. I just said it was funny that ITB didn't come in here frothing at the mouth about that particular scoop.

It's definitely an intriguing idea. Would be funny if the Athletic's article was the impetus for it gaining steam. I do think it's funny people are acting like this ex-ESPN guy just had a great new idea though.
Lol well he’s not some ex-espn nobody. Literally the former president and guy who negotiated the current ACC deal. A little different than The Athletic proposing something like that

So what do you call a PAC ACC merger? The Transcontinental Conference? The BiCoastal 24? The Tweed and Suntan Conference? I really hope that isn't where this ends up.

Lol well he’s not some ex-espn nobody. Literally the former president and guy who negotiated the current ACC deal. A little different than The Athletic proposing something like that
unless he's currently in charge of something, he's got less power than the athletic.

Skipper was pretty clear that ESPN would make money on it and even used Colorado as an example. He said you could kick FSU out for whining and replace them with CU and the ACC would make money on the deal because they already have Florida bc of Miami and charge more for the ACC network in Colorado because they don’t have a school there.

So what do you call a PAC ACC merger? The Transcontinental Conference? The BiCoastal 24? The Tweed and Suntan Conference? I really hope that isn't where this ends up.
I call it 2/3 of what we really need to be doing.

I suppose we shouldn’t let the perfect stand in the way of the good (or at least “better”) but if we are honestly talking about a P10/ACC merger, we ought to be open to the possibility of a merger between all three of the holdouts.

I call it 2/3 of what we really need to be doing.

I suppose we shouldn’t let the perfect stand in the way of the good (or at least “better”) but if we are honestly talking about a P10/ACC merger, we ought to be open to the possibility of a merger between all three of the holdouts.
I agree, the ACC merger is probably the least attractive, okay second least attractive alternative. Heading to Stuckey's to hang with the pope and his crew in the TruckStop 12 is probably the worst, despite their MNC champion UCF bros.

Been seeing a number of scenarios around the internet. By preference, here's how I'd personally rank them:

1. B1G expands and it includes CU.
2. ACC-PAC 24 team merger.
3. PAC stays together and expands (14 thru SDSU, SMU, Rice & Tulane for markets & maintaining academic prestige).

Not a fan of the PAC staying at 10 or of the 4 Corners to the Big 12 (which probably means the PAC blew apart with others getting B1G invites).

So, back in the quaint time period right after OU and UT bolted for the SEC, but USC and UCLA had not yet left for the B1G, the Big12 commissioned a consultancy to do a strategic study of conference alignment and basically to look at who the Big12 should consider adding in that context. Bailer being Bailer, someone on their board leaked the study.

The entire 263 page report can be read here:

But, what is interesting is that their research indicated that the Big12 and SEC are more of what we think of as sports conferences, whereas the Pac12, B1G and ACC operate a little differently in that there is a lot more collaboration between schools on everything from research projects to graduate student seminars and even to joint contracts for IT resources.

It's the B1G that leads the way on the above collaborations, and the B12 that lagged. Part of their point was that the B12 should improve on that, but I digress.

It was sort of telling though that in their graphing and grouping of schools and conferences on academic and sports performance metrics, there was a clear divide between the SEC & Big 12 vs the Pac12, B1G and ACC. There were, of course, outliers in each grouping, but the line was pretty stark. An interesting data point in their graphic was CU - we were basically the median P5 school in terms of academics and athletics, but I digress, that's not what I came to post.

What I came to post was a series of slides about the financial benefits that B1G members receive that go beyond the conference distributions. Some of these benefits go up if they add schools. Some of them go up if they add the right schools. Academics matter in this context. The bottom line is that joining the B1G, even at a reduced conference distribution or larger travel budget would probably be well worth it.

View attachment 59405

View attachment 59406

View attachment 59407

View attachment 59408
The thing about this report is it undersells Colorado on the academics and research side. Reason being is the guy who put it together - Tony Altimore - is an f’ing dbag and doesn’t lkke CU. He blocked me on Twitter for calling him a moron but in my defense he is one.

Because if this was the head of ESPN or a ACC/P10 commish saying it, it would matter.
skipper still has influence. he's not driving the train of course but when he expresses an opinion on something like this, the folks inside the deal making listen to him.

he is in the club. he opinion matters.

i am where @Buffnik is in terms of realignment preferences-- big for sure, but i would take an acc merger over going to the truck stop. and it isn't even close.

also, i do think we can read something into all the fits and starts of this process. it isn't just the bidders telling the pac to **** off. that isn't how it works. it is a back and forth and A LOT of exploration of differences, variations, flavors, and scenarios. it requires a lot of nuanced modeling. and the bidders are all in a position of not being able to easily absorb a **** up in the short term due to market conditions.

so on it goes. for now.

Been seeing a number of scenarios around the internet. By preference, here's how I'd personally rank them:

3. PAC stays together and expands (14 thru SDSU, SMU, Rice & Tulane for markets & maintaining academic prestige).

Not a fan of the PAC staying at 10 or of the 4 Corners to the Big 12 (which probably means the PAC blew apart with others getting B1G invites).
Same but I could also see us in the SEC. Sanky said he’s got a a good chunk of the Big 8 and likes rivalries. The Texas Colorado rivalry is decent, at least when I went there in the 90’s.

Also, have to remember, when Colorado wins, the networks and college football world loves it. Mike Mac won coach of the year and we lost 4 games that year. We start winning with Deion and our prospects change dramatically.

also, this idea that the pac is out there begging for a deal with the bidders laughing at them is pure stark raving b12 mouth breather nonsense. it doesn't work like that.

this a very complicated series of discussions and modeling... everyone including the bidders once to do a win-win deal. this is not scorched earth. these deals are too long and far too expensive for major regrets. ask the network and conference how they are feeling about florida state mouthing off right about now.

let me repeat: everyone involved wants to do the best deal they can so that everyone makes money over the long term with stable and predictable results.

this is an illustration of why the west vagina twat is so full of ****. no one involved talks the way he talks and no one involved thinks the way he thinks and no one involved would speak to a mouth breather leaker like him.

Bah, the average CU fan is more than capable of handling the typical B12 idot, even if they may be a bit rusty. I do like how the fool is too embarrassed to state which team he's a fan of. It's hard to be that pathetic.
Don’t you dare tarnish Rusty’s name like that. Don’t you dare.

Forget merging with the ACC, do a merge with the B12 AND the ACC. Combine all three into one national conference and kick a few stragglers to the curb in the process. Make it a 32 team “league” and use the P12 network infrastructure to televise all the games. Profit.
Makes too much sense so it will never happen.

also, this idea that the pac is out there begging for a deal with the bidders laughing at them is pure stark raving b12 mouth breather nonsense. it doesn't work like that.

this a very complicated series of discussions and modeling... everyone including the bidders once to do a win-win deal. this is not scorched earth. these deals are too long and far too expensive for major regrets. ask the network and conference how they are feeling about florida state mouthing off right about now.

let me repeat: everyone involved wants to do the best deal they can so that everyone makes money over the long term with stable and predictable results.

this is an illustration of why the west vagina twat is so full of ****. no one involved talks the way he talks and no one involved thinks the way he thinks and no one involved would speak to a mouth breather leaker like him.
Part of the issue is you have B12 hacks like McMurphy and Dodd giving legitimacy to the nonsense (and Scheer from AZ) and the mouth breathers feel validated. Add in the catfisher from WV and you’ve got a toxic f-fest of misinformation.

The prodigal account has returned. Like Jordan rocking the 45… I’m back. You’re probably thinking, who?

Unfortunately, I got locked out of my first account bc I forgot all of my credentials (Vic Victory).

Why now? It looks like some friggen sanity has come to this board! I haven’t checked Allbuffs since July but I’m loving the hatred of the B12 and all that comes with it.

Back in July, different story. Here’s where I left off:

-I was pretty friggen clear the B12 is a clown show of losers. I had ahole-skin from over here tell me that no, the B12 is great! It’s the P12 that’s sucks. And that CU sucks as well. And wine sucks. Whatever. I’m seeing the opposite here now and what more could I ask for.

-Said we’re a better fit in the B1G. And now here we are all (mostly) agreeing with that bc it’s f’ing true.

-Came up with an idea that puts the best P12 and ACC teams in a conference and surprise surprise the AD and Chancellor of North Carolina were texting each other the exact same thing! At nearly the exact same time. Thank you FOIA.

So what now? We sign this stupid P12 deal, dominate these b*****, and raise our stock until we get a real invite somewhere else.

Or the P12 holds bc no one wants to fly from PA to Washington or Oregon in November. Would you? I live in Northern California and even I think Washington is far.

If none of those, we dominate and then merge the best of the P12 with the ACC. Those are our options.
Kevin Dillon Win GIF

Rice ? Ugh. Better off with UNLV though will never happen.

Rice ? Ugh. Better off with UNLV though will never happen.
I think Tulane or Memphis are more likely as the mystery expansion candidate, unless the AFA's experiences kicking our ass have changed their mind about joining a P5.

I can't believe so much is being made of road destinations. In fact I'd argue that podunk towns like Manhattan, Ames, Lubbock, Stillwater, etc. are better places to go for games than some apathetic college town or a big metro area where the team is an afterthought. The aforementioned towns center around college football on a game weekend which is what you want when traveling to a road game - a town and environment centered around the game.

When I go to a road game I'm going to support the Buffs and for a great college atmosphere, not for a luxury vacation.

Back