What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

i actually think the new Big XII with Cincy and BYU and UCF will be fun to watch (like on TV), really competitive league with Baylor (sucks) Ok State I State KSU and TCU pretty good most years (though i don't think Sonny Dykes is a good hire).....just not sure i want to watch the Buffs in it.

Personally, and I could be way wrong, but if the Big Ten goes beyond 16, they're gonna take the Bay schools. Stanford brings a lot to the table, and Cal will get coattailed as a travel partner.

Markets don't matter, but travel costs do.
Travel costs matter?? They just added the two programs furthest away from their footprint. They don’t give a **** about travel costs. Cal bring next to nothing from a $$ standpoint and they aren’t going to add to the pie just so Stanford has a travel partner, IMO

They addressed the travel costs in a statement yesterday by basically saying “we’ll figure something out”.

Travel costs matter?? They just added the two programs furthest away from their footprint. They don’t give a **** about travel costs. Cal bring next to nothing from a $$ standpoint and they aren’t going to add to the pie just so Stanford has a travel partner, IMO

They addressed the travel costs in a statement yesterday by basically saying “we’ll figure something out”.

Dude, why do you think UCLA is even in this deal? Yes, travel costs matter.

If we are headed towards two super conferences, doesn’t the SEC need to add some western schools? B1G is now coast to coast. At least that’s my thinking if I’m the SEC. And I’d rename the conference.

What about UCLA being added saves on travel costs? UCLA was added because they are a huge brand and FOX/B1G wants the entire LA market

Wisconsin can stay in LA for 3 nights for basketball, volleyball, and whatever the **** else and knock out two road games, for one.

For another, that's one conference game those two schools don't have to travel across the country for, for another.

You agreed with me yesterday when I said that there were only two programs west of Norman that a conference would think was worthwhile to bring in - USC and Oregon. Are you changing your mind?

If UW comes in with Oregon, there's no way that travel costs aren't playing into it.

While I prefer the B1G, I’d join Oregon, UW, and Arizona/ASU in a conference with the existing SEC.

If we are headed towards two super conferences, doesn’t the SEC need to add some western schools? B1G is now coast to coast. At least that’s my thinking if I’m the SEC. And I’d rename the conference.

That's what this is about. Sealing off the West from the SEC.

But no, the SEC doesn't need the West. I bet they're going to stand pat until the ACC can be raided, add whomever they want, and that will be that. They don't need to leave the South.

Here's a thought though - I think we're all in agreement that the endgame is 2 superconferences that will probably break away and create an NFL-like system. Are we sure that Big Ten and SEC will want to just grow and grow without any contraction? Are all legacy schools that probably shrink the pot going to be allowed to stay in? What if the Big Ten and the SEC get together and say, we don't want to be a 48 school 'league', we want to be a 40 or even 32 school 'league'?

Maybe Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, or some such get the boot.

That's what this is about. Sealing off the West from the SEC.

But no, the SEC doesn't need the West. I bet they're going to stand pat until the ACC can be raided, add whomever they want, and that will be that. They don't need to leave the South.

Here's a thought though - I think we're all in agreement that the endgame is 2 superconferences that will probably break away and create an NFL-like system. Are we sure that Big Ten and SEC will want to just grow and grow without any contraction? Are all legacy schools that probably shrink the pot going to be allowed to stay in? What if the Big Ten and the SEC get together and say, we don't want to be a 48 school 'league', we want to be a 40 or even 32 school 'league'?

Maybe Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, or some such get the boot.
More watchable games if you add western schools. As long as the conferences are competing with each other, and now that the Big Ten spans from coast to coast, I think you have to go west. Maybe not. I’m not a TV executive.

True but something that hasn’t been discussed is that if the admin doesn’t give a ****, what difference does more money make?

CU in the B1G would regularly be playing USC, Oregon, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State and maybe ND

CU in the Big 12 would regularly be playing Oklahoma State, Cincy, Iowa State, Utah, ASU, BYU, Houston, Baylor, TCU, TTU

It’s a far easier path in the big 12 assuming there’s an effort to be competitive. B1G would require a dramatic shift in mentality.
Either way the administration is going to have to get their heads out of their asses

More watchable games if you add western schools. As long as the conferences are competing with each other, and now that the Big Ten spans from coast to coast, I think you have to go west. Maybe not. I’m not a TV executive.

I guarantee you, the SEC gives 0 ****s about what happens west of Norman.

Pretty sure my CU football fandom went from hanging by a string, after dropping tickets for the first time since starting college, to dead at the bottom of the canyon. I don’t care to watch our terrible program play other crappy programs. Level of competition and prestige mattered, even if we sucked.

Basketball can still remain fun, assuming Tad’s around or our next coach keeps the momentum, because there’s always the Dance possibility even if in a ****ty conference.

Here we are. Ain’t gonna count on a lucky limp invite to the BIG. Time to realize we don’t matter. Something most everyone else has known since 2008.

Wisconsin can stay in LA for 3 nights for basketball, volleyball, and whatever the **** else and knock out two road games, for one.

For another, that's one conference game those two schools don't have to travel across the country for, for another.

You agreed with me yesterday when I said that there were only two programs west of Norman that a conference would think was worthwhile to bring in - USC and Oregon. Are you changing your mind?

If UW comes in with Oregon, there's no way that travel costs aren't playing into it.
These decisions aren’t being made with non revenue sports and their travel costs in kind are my point. That’s an ancillary issue they are literally saying we’ll figure it out at some point.

I think the two biggest brands out West are SC and Oregon, yes, but UCLA is probably #3 and is a big enough brand and commands enough of the largest media market in the country to warrant inclusion on their own.

No one knows what the Big 10 is thinking. Are they happy with 16 teams? I do suspect that Notre Dame is a key and probably has invites from both the Big 10 and the ACC. Notre Dame to the Big 10 makes a lot of sense because of some of the built in rivalries - Michigan, USC, MSU and Purdue. If Notre Dame choses to go to the Big 10, the B10 would probably add one to 3 more teams. CU has a few positives to offer - solid TV market, major metropolitan area with many B10 alums, solid academics, location for travel. Negatives of course are a not so engaged fan base, poor recent performance in football, and an administration that seems to lacking in leadership for both academics and athletics.
It maybe they’re thinking this was a result of being in a ****ty P-12 and get a boost from being in the B1G. That’s what I’m going with.

When I first heard the news of SC/UCLA, my first thought was “okay…?!” The more I read about it, the more pissed off/frustrated/worrisome I became.

Getting stomped by the B1G royalty, meat-slapped by the middling teams, and coin-flips on the bottom feeders didn’t seem too attractive.

The revenue share of the B1G - which would hopefully spin a 2016-type season a little more frequently - as well as less 9 PM central time games, would make this option pretty attractive to the fans. Which means probably the most improbable scenario.

Staying on a sinking ship (PAC##), or jumping to a ship that has been stripped of its best parts (BIG”XII”), doesn’t seem like a decent move for the long term (obviously).

(Another obvious point) CU getting to what is most likely one of the eventual big super conferences, by lucking into a third class boarding ticket now, is what I’m hoping for (probably along with most people here), even if it means seeing Ohio State putting up 84 points - more often than not - for years to come.

The B1G leaving the LA schools on an island, two-three time zones away, won’t be an issue for too long. Whether they add more pacific time zone schools, or ad a few mountain time zone schools (better option IMO) to help bridge and/or offset the burden on all schools. I’m not sure the attraction of someone in C-bus or Happy Valley watching away games that start at 10 maybe 11 PM eastern time? I could be grossly underestimating this all…

CU is most likely in a “We’ll take you in a post-dust settling spot”. The way that the B1G stuff-armed Oregon and UW either means that Notre Dame has the talking stick, and/or the B1G flat-out said leave your little siblings at home, please.

Lets hope that non-athletic attributes keep CU attractive enough to be the poor/nerdy girl “project” for prom Queen for the morally conflicted “cool guy” in those teen movies. Leave the Duckie behind, and watch out for the cool guy’s morally deficient buddy that just wants a quick piece of action.

Alright - assuming this CU, UU, ASU, UA to the Big 12 thing happens.

The Big 12 is reinventing itself in 2023. OU and UT leaving, 4 new members coming in. The Pac-12 is dead, the 4 Western schools need to join in 2023 as well.

They need to make a firm pact, bring BYU in, and any new members they can, and hit the ****ing conference hard, the way the TX schools did the Big 8. No "we're the new guys, we'll sit over here while you make the rules" bull****. The Big 12 is bringing in these schools so they can survive just as much as it might be a lifeline to the incoming schools.

The Pac-12 schools need to apply all the lessons they've (hopefully) learned from the Pac-12 and hammer them home. Some of them will be easy, outside of maybe BYU, none of these other schools GAF about Olympic sports either. There needs to be a Big 12 network. It has to happen, and Fox/ESPN can own the rights. Whatever needs to be done.

CU will be lucky to go back to the Big 12. Having a seat at the adult table is not in Colorado’s future.

I tend to agree. It's fun to have hope.

It is stupid that a state with so much going for it, a booming population, and football program that historically has competed at the highest levels would be shut out of something like this, but we have no one to blame but ourselves.

This is not a crazy idea.

I just realized that wasn't Dodds tweeting, but a guy from Oregon.

He's ignoring the long game. The SEC going to 20 with schools that don't grow the pie like Utah and UA keeps them from doing what they and the Big Ten really want - raiding the ACC, destroying it, and ending up with only 2 conferences left.

I tend to agree. It's fun to have hope.

It is stupid that a state with so much going for it, a booming population, and football program that historically has competed at the highest levels would be shut out of something like this, but we have no one to blame but ourselves.
We haven’t been year-in, year-out competitive in 20 years. There are external factors, but there’s not much else that makes us attractive as an option for the evolution of this sport.

Back