What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

at a glance, 100% of those games are available on streaming.

are we conflating "available on streaming" with "ONLY available on streaming"?
Think of it like this;
Cable: ESPN is a linear cable channel delivered by a third party service. ESPN is on Cable and on Sling, both a 3rd party middle man service. You pay the third party, they pay ESPN.

Streaming: ESPN+ is a direct to consumer no middle man service. You pay ESPN+ directly.

Sure, you can “stream” both of them to your TV in your house. But the sources of their revenue are different.

Last edited:
Thread on ignore? No way! This thread is all about ass talking and I, for one will not ignore ass talk. More Oregon to the Ivy League please!
The Simpsons Dance GIF

just noting, I had thought Tenacious D was a gimmick act, but saw them last year at Telluride and they were really good.

Jack Black did lose some of my respect for using O2 during the show though (the only other performer I noticed using oxygen was 82yo Phil Lesh)

just noting, I had thought Tenacious D was a gimmick act, but saw them last year at Telluride and they were really good.

Jack Black did lose some of my respect for using O2 during the show though (the only other performer I noticed using oxygen was 82yo Phil Lesh)
Dude is 5’6”, weighs 245, and lives at sea level. Telluride is at 8,750 feet above sea level and he’s on stage performing non stop and you lost respect for him because he took O2 during a show? Man, you’re harsh.

Dude is 5’6”, weighs 245, and lives at sea level. Telluride is at 8,750 feet above sea level and he’s on stage performing non stop and you lost respect for him because he took O2 during a show? Man, you’re harsh.
'harsh' is something i can live with

I saw the Sex Pistols at Red Rocks in 1996 during some renunion tour they were doing. Johnny Rotten was on the O2 tank the entire show. Seriously, he may have been taking hits between verses. It was hilarious.

In Johnny's voice after the second song: "I doh know oww you fooking people breeeeeeavee up 'ear". 🤣

I saw the Sex Pistols at Red Rocks in 1996 during some renunion tour they were doing. Johnny Rotten was on the O2 tank the entire show. Seriously, he may have been taking hits between verses. It was hilarious.

In Johnny's voice after the second song: "I doh know oww you fooking people breeeeeeavee up 'ear". 🤣
it occurs to me that comparing Johnny Rotten's "heroin chic" phsyique to Jack Black's (assuming NS's stats are correct) has two guys likely on opposite ends of the BMI curve.

I saw a stand-up special of Dennis Miller's once from Denver where he took O2 during the act. I realize it's a thing, but still choose to judge people for it.

it occurs to me that comparing Johnny Rotten's "heroin chic" phsyique to Jack Black's (assuming NS's stats are correct) has two guys likely on opposite ends of the BMI curve.

I saw a stand-up special of Dennis Miller's once from Denver where he took O2 during the act. I realize it's a thing, but still choose to judge people for it.
Wow. Could not have imagined this ****ing thread could get any better.

I saw Chris Isaak at Red Rocks. No O2 from that guy. He did a light jog from the stage to the top of the bleachers while singing just to see if he could still do it (he'd done that back in his 20s when he first performed there).

CU might be the only school that’s on major networks the first three weeks of the season w/ no streaming (Fox, Fox, ESPN). Haven’t checked all schools but wouldn’t be surprised either.

That chart is a poor representation of the Big 12's deal though and frankly of all the league deals IMO.

Almost 80% of the Big 12's streaming games are on in the first three weeks because basically all nonconference games are September games and that includes the FCS buy games and any G5 2 for 1's or H&H games vs G5's.

In each of 2021 and 2022 you had 4-5 streaming games after that point. That amounts to around 27% of the entire season's games on ESPN+ which has over 23M subscribers. Roughly 2 games per school.

The Pac 12 network has fewer than 15M subscribers and broadcast around 46% of the PAC's inventory last year. No streaming but the distribution might as well have been.

The ACC had about 22% of their games on either streaming or regional syndication last year. Additionally 44% was on their league network which is at 42M so basically ESPNU.

The Big Ten had zero streaming but will have some on peacock going forward as to their new tv deal.

The SEC had one game per school on ESPN+.

That chart is a poor representation of the Big 12's deal though and frankly of all the league deals IMO.

Almost 80% of the Big 12's streaming games are on in the first three weeks because basically all nonconference games are September games and that includes the FCS buy games and any G5 2 for 1's or H&H games vs G5's.

In each of 2021 and 2022 you had 4-5 streaming games after that point. That amounts to around 27% of the entire season's games on ESPN+ which has over 23M subscribers. Roughly 2 games per school.

The Pac 12 network has fewer than 15M subscribers and broadcast around 46% of the PAC's inventory last year. No streaming but the distribution might as well have been.

The ACC had about 22% of their games on either streaming or regional syndication last year. Additionally 44% was on their league network which is at 42M so basically ESPNU.

The Big Ten had zero streaming but will have some on peacock going forward as to their new tv deal.

A few things
We only have 3 weeks of data because thats all thats been chosen by TV so far. We’ll see as they say.
It looks like CBS Paramount and NBC Peacock will co-present on both broadcast and stream.
Customers will have to pay extra for ESPN+ ESPN wants more content on ESPN+ so that they grow that business. We should all expect more games to be driven on to ESPN+
The ACC Network is very new.
At least The Pac-12 has had their own network for decade.
The BigXII has never had a network.

Thursday, Aug. 31, 2023
Kent State at UCF – 7pm, FS1
Missouri State at Kansas – 8pm, ESPN+

Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023
Colorado at TCU – 12pm, FOX
Arkansas State at Oklahoma – 12pm, ESPN
Northern Iowa at Iowa State – 2pm, ESPN+
Rice at Texas – 3:30pm, FOX
Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnati – 3:30pm, ESPN+
UTSA at Houston – 7pm, FS1
Texas State at Baylor – 7pm, ESPN+
Southeast Missouri at Kansas State – 7pm, ESPN+
Central Arkansas at Oklahoma State – 7pm, ESPN+
West Virginia at Penn State – 7:30pm, NBC/Peacock
Texas Tech at Wyoming – 7:30pm, CBS/Paramount+
Sam Houston at BYU – 10:15pm, FS1

Friday, Sept. 8 or Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023
Houston at Rice, TBD
Illinois at Kansas, TBD

Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023
Utah at Baylor – 12pm, ESPN
Troy at Kansas State – 12pm, FS1
Southern Utah at BYU – 3pm, ESPN+
Iowa at Iowa State – 3:30pm, FOX
SMU at Oklahoma – 6pm, ESPN+
Duquesne at West Virginia – 6pm, ESPN+
Oregon at Texas Tech – 7pm, FOX
Texas at Alabama – 7pm, ESPN
UCF at Boise State – 7pm, FS1
Nicholls at TCU – 8pm, ESPN+
Oklahoma State at Arizona State – 10:30pm, FS1
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh – TBA

Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023
Iowa State at Ohio – 12pm, ESPN2 or ESPNU
Kansas State at Missouri – 12pm, SECN
Long Island at Baylor – 12pm, ESPN+
Oklahoma at Tulsa – 3:30pm, ESPN or ESPN2
Villanova at UCF – 6:30pm, ESPN+
Miami (OH) at Cincinnati – 7pm, ESPN+
South Alabama at Oklahoma State – 7pm, ESPN+
Tarleton State at Texas Tech – 7pm, ESPN+
Pittsburgh at West Virginia – 7:30pm, ABC
BYU at Arkansas – 7:30pm, ESPN2
TCU at Houston – 8pm, FOX
Wyoming at Texas – 8pm, LHN
Kansas at Nevada – 10:30pm, CBSSN

A few things
We only have 3 weeks of data because thats all thats been chosen by TV so far. We’ll see as they say.
It looks like CBS Paramount and NBC Peacock will co-present on both broadcast and stream.
Customers will have to pay extra for ESPN+ ESPN wants more content on ESPN+ so that they grow that business. We should all expect more games to be driven on to ESPN+

Thursday, Aug. 31, 2023

Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023

Houston at Rice, TBD
Illinois at Kansas, TBD

Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023

Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023
Is there conference data available on this topic from last year? SIAP. Thanks.

I saw Chris Isaak at Red Rocks. No O2 from that guy. He did a light jog from the stage to the top of the bleachers while singing just to see if he could still do it (he'd done that back in his 20s when he first performed there).
I saw Chris Isaak performing live in the men's department of Nordstrom's at the South Coast Mall in Orange County, CA.
Craziest thing to see. It was a free performance that we stumbled upon. At the time I think he had a deal with Tommy Hilfilger.

A few things

Thursday, Aug. 31, 2023

Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023

Houston at Rice, TBD
Illinois at Kansas, TBD

Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023

Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023
Every single ESPN+ game except one is against total crap opponents and deserve to be relegated to ESPN+.
The only game to me that might have a case to be 'interesting' is SMU at Oklahoma.

We’ll have to see how much this changes when the conference play begins. 40% streaming Wk 1-3 seems appropriate given the brands and opponents.

at a glance, 100% of those games are available on streaming.

are we conflating "available on streaming" with "ONLY available on streaming"?
I have to ask you what you mean by streaming. ESPN, for example, is not available as streaming so I want to ask how you define streaming.

We’ll have to see how much this changes when the conference play begins. 40% streaming Wk 1-3 seems appropriate given the brands and opponents.
The tv thing is a smaller issue to me than the price of tickets. Season ticket packages of 7 games. 4 are conference opponents (1 of 2 probably weak) and then at least 2 of the non-conference opponents are bodybag games. This is part of why attendance is suffering. And the issue in its entirety is why a true upper division of 64 teams that only play each other (or maybe one D1 game from outside the league) has so much accretive value vs the current setup. Maybe add FCS guests for spring game and fall camp scrimmages. Pure profit and much better / more valuable product for fans.

I have to ask you what you mean by streaming. ESPN, for example, is not available as streaming so I want to ask how you define streaming.
without looking it up, my understanding of the term is something like "content delivered via the internet"

edit 1: video or audio content delivered via the internet (I wouldn't consider a static HTML page on my browser to be 'streaming', but some might)
edit 2: ESPN's primary network may not be available as streaming, but much (all?) of their content is. last two years I've been able to watch most (all?) ACC games on their streaming platform even if it was on ESPN's linear channel

Last edited:
Those ESPN+ games on the FBS level usually has been FCS vs FBS or G5 vs P5. Then there’s FCS football. I chose FCS football in that case because there were good FCS matchups.

MAC, AAC, and Sun Belt have contracts with ESPN where most of their games are on ESPN+. The Sun Belt has had a good number of games on ESPN due to some good teams such as Coastal Carolina and Appy State. Want to be seen on the ESPN family of networks? Don’t suck at football.

Back