What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Yes. There will be 3 classes. The wealthy, middle class and poors. P2 will be wealthy, The current/remaining P5 scraps will be the middle class while current G5 will be poors that likely have to create their own playoff of some sort as they likely won’t have access to the CFP.

B12 is predominantly made up of G5 schools. CU and any P12 team would greatly enhance the B12 but it is still chalk full of G5 programs.

What do we wait for? P12 isn't getting the TV money. There is no one the P12 can add that would raise the value. 6 of the remaining 10 are looking for a way out.

And CU is being smart by getting out while the the getting is good. Who knows what the Big 12 offer might look like once the Pac media deal becomes public or other schools bolt first, if there even is an offer at that point. Finally some forward thinking by RG and the athletic department. What an incredible 7 months for the program, absolutely love it!!

When FoxSports chose not to be a part of negotiations and ESPN didn't choose to take advantage of its exclusive negotiation window, it was clear that unless something from outside the traditional box materialized that the Pac was facing a sobering set of options for selling its media rights.

Almost a year since the P12 went to the market for their media rights and nothing to show for it. I think it simply means the money isn’t there.
By that rationale if it’s not there now it’s never going to be there. It’s not going to magically improve with time. In fact it’ll only get worse if teams leave.

Almost a year since the P12 went to the market for their media rights and nothing to show for it. I think it simply means the money isn’t there.
Nah, I'm sure the money is there. My team has been negotiating a $100m/year resale contract with a large network/infrastructure/software manufacturer for 17 months. Sometimes the right deal takes time, and pisses a lot of people off in the process.

Everyone is setting artificial deadlines on this media, and it honestly doesn't even REALLY need to be done in 2023. Nothing changes until the deal is effective (July 2024 at the earliest), and leverage is not currently on the PAC 12's side. The economy has been in a weird spot, streaming is growing, and cable is shrinking. The right option IMO is wait out the process and get the best deal they can.

Nah, I'm sure the money is there. My team has been negotiating a $100m/year resale contract with a large network/infrastructure/software manufacturer for 17 months. Sometimes the right deal takes time, and pisses a lot of people off in the process.

Everyone is setting artificial deadlines on this media, and it honestly doesn't even REALLY need to be done in 2023. Nothing changes until the deal is effective (July 2024 at the earliest), and leverage is not currently on the PAC 12's side. The economy has been in a weird spot, streaming is growing, and cable is shrinking. The right option IMO is wait out the process and get the best deal they can.
I’ve been saying this for the longest time. I briefly went to the dark side but this brought me back.

B12 is predominantly made up of G5 schools. CU and any P12 team would greatly enhance the B12 but it is still chalk full of G5 programs.

G5 schools which have been at the very top of G5 and arguably better than a couple dozen P5 programs recently. UCF has won 10 games 7 times over the past 16 years. Houston has 3 12-win seasons over the past 12 years. Cincinnati was in the CFP 2 years ago. TCU has won 11 games 4 times in the decade or so they've been in a P5 conference and played in the NC game last year.

I don't think the money is there. $20 mil per school sure. They can keep fishing but they are trying to get TV revenue after they lost the largest TV market. The other markets don't offer enough viewers to get the money they want. PAC is a dead man walking,

By that rationale if it’s not there now it’s never going to be there. It’s not going to magically improve with time. In fact it’ll only get worse if teams leave.
I believe the phrase is Kick the Can down the Road. No one ever wants to recognize bad news so you just keep extending and waiting and hoping for that knight in shining armor to save you.

The extend and pretend for the PAC has been some next level sh!t. I’m almost convinced they can ride this into 2024. Unfortunately, the sports media financials are trending in the wrong direction to suggest a better deal can be had. Turns out the first offer was the best offer. Yormark recognized this. Kliavkoff did not, or couldn’t sell it.

Little, if any, evidence that the money is there. Plenty of evidence it's not. Obviously we all hope it is, but time is indeed ticking, and yes it needs to be done in 2023.

6 Flag ship schools? Really who? We are talking football for TV ratings, not academics.
If the p12 had 6 flagship football universities we would have a TV deal.
The P12 owns 2 time zones that no one gives a f#ck about football in. Those that did give a f#ck (or at least kind of did) just left for the BIG
UCLA is not much of a football school. They give game tickets away for free. Their stadium is frequently very empty. They got into the B1G for the same reason Rutgers did: they deliver a big Tv market.

UCLA is not much of a football school. They give game tickets away for free. Their stadium is frequently very empty. They got into the B1G for the same reason Rutgers did: they deliver a big Tv market.
If the B1G wouldn't have taken both LA teams, I believe that the Pac would have survived and rebounded.

If, for example, it would have been USC and Stanford, then the Pac would have still been in both the LA and SF markets and would have had stronger financial pressures among its members along with less elitism on new member profiles.

I could have seen a move along the lines of the Big 12 blueprint from when it lost teams -- backfill in the core CA market with SDSU and FSU, which actually covers all the population zones in the state better than what the conference had and significantly softens the blow of the losses. Then, you could fill to 16 while staying in the west without such a strict academic snobbery. UNLV, Air Force, BYU, Boise State would have all been on the table. And, frankly, if that was the new Pac-16 I wouldn't support CU leaving for anything other than B1G, SEC or a new national conference that formed from the best of the ACC, Pac and Big 12.

Last edited:
I actually think it had as nuch to do with blocking the market as delivering it. Fox wanted all of So Cal, they didn’t want to leave ESPN with access to So Cal if UCLA was still in the P12. I really hope ESPN mostly ignores the B1G in their CFB coverage. Give them the NHL treatment like when ESPN had no hockey rights.

This is gross.

**** USC and **** UCLA.

Come on, embrace it!

Come Let Me Love You GIF

Is there any evidence the LA market watches UCLA football on TV? Or USC for that matter? Their games might get more eyes from other markets. LA went without NFL football for - what - 20 years and no one seemed to care.

Is there any evidence the LA market watches UCLA football on TV? Or USC for that matter? Their games might get more eyes from other markets. LA went without NFL football for - what - 20 years and no one seemed to care.
There must be or it would not have had this effect on everything

Back