What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

This thread is mostly fighting over if the right move is PAC, B1G or Big XII. But honestly, I think the right move is to open conversations with a handful of teams from the PAC, Big12, and ACC and pitch that **** to CBS or NBC.

Lock up the PNW (OR + WA), the Bay Area (Stanford & Cal), Arizona (AZ + AZ St), Mountain (Utah, CO), Triangle (Duke, UNC), Florida (Florida St., Miami), South Carolina/Georgia (Clemson/GA Tech) and NE (pick 2 from Syracuse, BC or Pitt).

Two opposite coast pods with equal numbers, covering large metro areas. It'd be a ratings gold mine.

This thread is mostly fighting over if the right move is PAC, B1G or Big XII. But honestly, I think the right move is to open conversations with a handful of teams from the PAC, Big12, and ACC and pitch that **** to CBS or NBC.

Lock up the PNW (OR + WA), the Bay Area (Stanford & Cal), Arizona (AZ + AZ St), Mountain (Utah, CO), Triangle (Duke, UNC), Florida (Florida St., Miami), South Carolina/Georgia (Clemson/GA Tech) and NE (pick 2 from Syracuse, BC or Pitt).

Two opposite coast pods with equal numbers, covering large metro areas. It'd be a ratings gold mine.
Of course, I picked no teams from the Big 12. :LOL:

Something we haven't brought up is PACN.

Is it safe to assume that the remaining members each own a 10% share?

Wouldn't it make more sense for the P10 to sell 50% to FOX or ESPN, restructure it, and merge B12 & G5 teams in to expand? The B12 doesn't have an asset like that. And, yes, I know it has been mismanaged and is much less valuable than it should be - even a running joke - but there is still significant value.

I think the desire for traditions, rituals, and balanced competition are truisms regardless of age cohort.

At the same time, I do not disagree with your second paragraph at all. There are many structural issues with football on several levels. Some of it is how younger generations consume sports. Some of it is regionalism. Some of it is health concerns. We’ve discussed that many times on the board before.

Football is a really complicated sport. It takes some time to adjust to even the basic rules. When I was a kid, there was nothing else to watch on TV, so I spent many Sunday afternoons watching it. My son watches zero football and probably never will. It’s almost too late to learn at 12. The cool kids surf anyway is what he’d say.
My 12 yo doesn’t watch either. I always watched sports with my dad and loved it. But whatever, not a big deal

I’m sure he’s queer.

Something we haven't brought up is PACN.

Is it safe to assume that the remaining members each own a 10% share?

Wouldn't it make more sense for the P10 to sell 50% to FOX or ESPN, restructure it, and merge B12 & G5 teams in to expand? The B12 doesn't have an asset like that. And, yes, I know it has been mismanaged and is much less valuable than it should be - even a running joke - but there is still significant value.
Prior to U$C and UCLA bolting last week, valuation was around $250 million. B1GN got a smidge over 2x non pandemic revenue numbers, which led to that projected figure for the P12N.

Now that two marquee schools have bolted, the network is probably worth closer to $150-$175 million. That’s not nothing; but, in context, it isn’t that great when spread over 10 schools.

What evidence do you have that there’s an internal push to stay in the Pac-12?

Conversations with a few in the AD recently - apparently, the faculty LOVES being compared to their "academic peers" Cal, Stanford, Washington (may lose them) and UCLA (already lost them). At least two BOR members are big fans of PAC12 thru personal relationships and other faculty. CU's faculty has attended many academic conferences with other conference attendees, which will be probably lost going-forward

The other reason I know academics will try to intervene here is it's 100% consistent with the last 20+ years, since the "sex scandal " in 2001.

In the end, I don't expect this POV to prevail, but this is CU, so you never know.

Conversations with a few in the AD recently - apparently, the faculty LOVES being compared to their "academic peers" Cal, Stanford, Washington (may lose them) and UCLA (already lost them). At least two BOR members are big fans of PAC12 thru personal relationships and other faculty. CU's faculty has attended many academic conferences with other conference attendees, which will be probably lost going-forward

The other reason I know academics will try to intervene here is it's 100% consistent with the last 20+ years, since the "sex scandal " in 2001.

In the end, I don't expect this POV to prevail, but this is CU, so you never know.
I think there's a pretty good circumstantial case to be made that the faculty will not be an issue here. One, USC/UCLA made their move Thursday. Two, we know there will be a meeting between CU, UA, ASU, and UU and the Big 12 tomorrow. I believe @PAC MAN pointed out that there is a special BoR meeting with no agenda scheduled for tomorrow night. I wouldn't take that to court-but I think the faculty either understands that a Big 12 move is necessary or Saliman/the BoR, Dr. Phil, and RG are ignoring them.

Last edited:
I think there's a pretty good circumstantial case to be made that the faculty will not be an issue here. One, USC/UCLA made their move Thursday. Two, we know there will be a meeting between CU, UA, ASU, and UU and the Big 12 tomorrow. I believe @PAC MAN pointed out that there is a special BoR meeting with no agenda scheduled for tomorrow night. I wouldn't take that to court-but I think the faculty either understands that a Big 12 move is necessary or Saliman/the BoR, Dr. Phil, and RG are ignoring them.
If the Regents meeting is related to this issue and they are really looking at moving this quickly than the B1G must have told the Mountain pod we definitely have no interest and any additional expansion beyond Oregon and Washington and maybe Stanford will be a move into the Southeast.

I wasn't even thinking earlier about the fact that we'd get two games a year in basketball with Houston, BYU, and Cincy in basketball in addition to Kansas, TTech, Baylor, and Iowa State. Well...not two against all of them, but the SOS would be great.

Why can’t an academic affiliation among those schools exist on one hand while an athletic affiliation with others exists on the other hand? I don’t get it.

That Minnesota guy with the alleged info claims Miami is leading a charge within the ACC to negotiate and buy out the GOR. Have to think at least 3-5 of those programs are interested in tagging along, but I imagine at least half the conference is in no hurry to get left behind.
Hopefully we’re locked into the B12 before the pin is pulled from the ACC grenade and those schools are swimming toward the B12 life raft

The internet consensus is that somehow the ACC is in an ironclad contract, but if the powers that be want something, they’ll get it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ACC takes a beating soon

Hopefully we’re locked into the B12 before the pin is pulled from the ACC grenade and those schools are swimming toward the B12 life raft

The internet consensus is that somehow the ACC is in an ironclad contract, but if the powers that be want something, they’ll get it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ACC takes a beating soon
If the ACC implodes, the B1G and SEC would surely take quite a few teams, probably Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA, VT, and maybe NCSU, Duke, Miami. That could leave a few more for the Big XII to take to fill out an eastern edge, perhaps Louisville, Pitt, possibly Georgia Tech or even Miami (Miami isn't AAU, so the B1G may pass in favor of UVA and UNC, and I don't see the SEC needing them if they get FSU to couple with Florida). So if the Big XII follows the B1G and SEC in going to 20-ish schools, perhaps it's something like

Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston
Cincy
Louisville
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
UCF
NC State?
Georgia Tech?
Miami?

That would give a pretty contiguous footprint with a lot of regional games/ localized rivalries in different regions - the mountain west, Texas, the plains, and the east, including bringing back rivalries between WVU/ Pitt and several lesser rivalries amongst WVU/ Louisville/ Cincy/ Pitt.

Clemson would be honored to be invited to our party!

If the ACC implodes, the B1G and SEC would surely take quite a few teams, probably Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA, VT, and maybe NCSU, Duke, Miami. That could leave a few more for the Big XII to take to fill out an eastern edge, perhaps Louisville, Pitt, possibly Georgia Tech or even Miami (Miami isn't AAU, so the B1G may pass in favor of UVA and UNC, and I don't see the SEC needing them if they get FSU to couple with Florida). So if the Big XII follows the B1G and SEC in going to 20-ish schools, perhaps it's something like

Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston
Cincy
Louisville
West Virginia
Pittsburgh
UCF
NC State?
Georgia Tech?
Miami?

That would give a pretty contiguous footprint with a lot of regional games/ localized rivalries in different regions - the mountain west, Texas, the plains, and the east, including bringing back rivalries between WVU/ Pitt and several lesser rivalries amongst WVU/ Louisville/ Cincy/ Pitt.
I think the SEC would happily take Miami for the UF and FSU rivalries alone. I also don’t see what NCState brings to a major conference, but admittedly I am not dialed into that program

I think the SEC would happily take Miami for the UF and FSU rivalries alone. I also don’t see what NCState brings to a major conference, but admittedly I am not dialed into that program
Maybe, but again FSU and Florida covers the state pretty well and Miami doesn't draw well (in person or on TV) when they're bad. Three schools in one state would be a lot for the SEC. But sure, it's certainly possible of course.

Maybe, but again FSU and Florida covers the state pretty well and Miami doesn't draw well (in person or on TV) when they're bad. Three schools in one state would be a lot for the SEC. But sure, it's certainly possible of course.
I agree, but the brands of those 3 programs are top 10-15 in the country and Miami has seemingly gone back to all-in with football. I imagine they’re going to be pretty good in a year or two.

I have heard that while FSU is more culturally aligned with the SEC than Miami, Miami is considered much more valuable. Metro market & recruiting grounds are additive to UF rather than an overlap. Also, there's something about public vs private that's advantageous on the conference's financial disclosures (you have to have 1, but it may be necessary to have 1 in each division if this gets as big as many are predicting).

I’m glad we built all of the new facilities! They really boosted the football program to new heights just as RG promised!!
It's a bit like buying a big block of Florida condos in 2007 as an investment to support your family into the future. Who knew?

Reactions: DBT
Back