What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Making the AD pay back the loan is one thing and completely reasonable, but charging the AD interest is the dumb part no matter how you justify it.
Again, they have legal duty to only use the donated money in certain ways.

That duty doesn't go away because someone thinks it's dumb.

If someone donated $1mm to the tsheck blow and hooker fund because you told them you would quit your job for a year and dance in times Square under a sign that says "I'm a giant dumbass" for 3 days a week while wearing nothing but a loincloth, you would need to brush up on your dancing skills if you wanted to keep the money.

If someone donated $1mm to the tsheck blow and hooker fund because you told them you would quit your job for a year and dance in times Square under a sign that says "I'm a giant dumbass" for 3 days a week while wearing nothing but a loincloth, you would need to brush up on your dancing skills if you wanted to keep the money.
Futurama Buy GIF

Again. Whether they charge interest on the loan doesn’t change the fact that they used the donated funds in a manner that they were not earmarked for, so charging interest is just above and beyond and robbing Peter to pay Paul. It’s dumb and doesn’t make sense, except for a University that wants to put more financial stress on the AD than necessary

Again. Whether they charge interest on the loan doesn’t change the fact that they used the donated funds in a manner that they were not earmarked for, so charging interest is just above and beyond and robbing Peter to pay Paul. It’s dumb and doesn’t make sense, except for a University that wants to put more financial stress on the AD than necessary
I'm pretty sure that university endowments can be applied to long term investments. That's a big part of growing them.

He's going to keep blaming anything but the useless leadership of the Pac 12 for this.

And I'm starting to wonder if the Big 10's "interest" in Cal and Stanford wasn't leaked by Cal and Stanford.
Really.

TV: “Sorry. There is no money for Cal, Stanford, UW, UO as part of the Pac12.

TV: “Now that the Pac12 has collapsed we will give Cal, Stanford, UW, UO more money then we will give B12 members

If it happened that way thats NOT a failure of leadership. Its market manipulation

I'm rooting for Stanford and Cal. Would love to see UW and UO fans reaction to that! Makes sense for B1G to have a more compact CA section with Stanford and USC a lure for Notre Dame. Not sure if Cal or Stanford would accept it though unless they could keep their Olympic sports competing locally. Does Nebraska even have a yachting team?

I'm pretty sure that university endowments can be applied to long term investments. That's a big part of growing them.
That's the point of donating to an endowment, and the whole donation pitch. "We don't spend the money you give, we invest it and use the proceeds to support the university" is what the promise is.

If you have $30 million in investment gains that aren't already earmarked for something, then you could give it to the AD.

But if you don't, and it's not like any of them were planning on this expense 2 months ago so they likely don't, your only option is to "invest" it.

And that means a loan, with interest.

It's about profits to fox, or if they are being conscious of their shareholders it should be. They are a business. Will paying a school 40 million when they can get their inventory for 20 million, make them more profit with different matchups when they already have the league's marquee matchups locked up? Maybe I'm wrong, and I get it from a football perspective, but from a purely fiscal sense, it just doesn't make sense.

We know(rumors) that ESPN, fox, and even nbc turned down the PAC for anything better(or even worse money but linear) than the apple deal.

I can't see a CEO just greenlighting hundreds of millions of more dollars in spending, when you can get the product for much cheaper AND you have probably enough of the product already.

But I guess we will see.
Lots of alums in California. Those alums pay more attention when their alma matter is play Cal, Stanford, UW, UO year in and year out. Without the B10 opponent across the line of scrimmage the games have less appeal. Thats how Im reading the tea leaves.

That's the point of donating to an endowment, and the whole donation pitch. "We don't spend the money you give, we invest it and use the proceeds to support the university" is what the promise is.

If you have $30 million in investment gains that aren't already earmarked for something, then you could give it to the AD.

But if you don't, and it's not like any of them were planning on this expense 2 months ago so they likely don't, your only option is to "invest" it.

And that means a loan, with interest.
Whatever you say, smart guy!
Calculating Zach Galifianakis GIF by filmeditor

BUT BUT BUT the SEC will call aoon.

Trust Me Love GIF by Puss In Boots
We’re have to apply b12 remedial math to tell ourselves $50M less year over year isn’t that big of a deal. FSU is literally rioting about it but we’re like hey life is good, we like the b12 Twitter fan accounts.

Notice how Prime he hasn’t said jack s*** about the b12? Nothing. The most outspoken head coach in sports hasn’t said one 👏 thing 👏 about a monumental move?!?!

Anyone believe he’d be this quiet about joining the SEC? Or the B1G? **** NO.

He knows what’s up. This isn’t about focus for the upcoming season. He’s quiet bc the b12 is a junior league.

I know there’s a lot of fans on this board who love the b12, want to visit the towns. Good for you all. Seriously, not even being sarcastic at all. May be hard for some to hear but I can appreciate that most here like the move. I know there’s some good in it. Not trying to change anyone’s mind.

But we have been relegated financially and if this all goes down the way it’s shaping up it could be a permanent financial relegation.

We’re have to apply b12 remedial math to tell ourselves $50M less year over year isn’t that big of a deal. FSU is literally rioting about it but we’re like hey life is good, we like the b12 Twitter fan accounts.

Notice how Prime he hasn’t said jack s*** about the b12? Nothing. The most outspoken head coach in sports hasn’t said one 👏 thing 👏 about a monumental move?!?!

He knows what’s up. This isn’t about focus for the upcoming season. He’s quiet bc the b12 is a junior league.

I know there’s a lot of fans on this board who love the b12, want to visit the towns. Good for you all. Seriously, not even being sarcastic at all. May be hard for some to hear but I can appreciate that most here like the move. I know there’s some good in it. Not trying to change anyone’s mind.

But we have been relegated financially and if this all goes down the way it’s shaping up it could be a permanent financial relegation.

So the alternative was..... Stay in the Pac12 and make $12M less?

The Big Ten does not currently want CU. The SEC does not currently want CU. The ACC has worse financial issues than the Big12 does.

This is by all accounts a temporary move. 7 years of getting paid at least $12M more per year than we would have otherwise. CU is getting more money than ever, will have more exposure than we have ever had in the Pac12 and we have a head coach who demands more attention than we have ever had. If CU can win, this is all set up for CU to be the next hot name to get poached.

What the **** is this post? Prime willingly came to a Pac 12 program post USC/UCLA. The Pac was already a junior league. The B12 was the best of a ****ty situation. If you want to simply say, “Prime would rather coach in the SEC or B1G”, then OK, bold take, Cotton!

Btw, he did make a statement about it, but I’m not sure what more you want him to say?

I'm rooting for Stanford and Cal. Would love to see UW and UO fans reaction to that! Makes sense for B1G to have a more compact CA section with Stanford and USC a lure for Notre Dame. Not sure if Cal or Stanford would accept it though unless they could keep their Olympic sports competing locally. Does Nebraska even have a yachting team?
Im rooting for all four of them because they dont derserve to get screwed. Im also rooting for lawsuits and congress. Im rooting for a consent decree too

X thread…click to read the thread.

4C schools to B12 on Friday after the AZ BOR meeting and then a B12 vote for admission followed by another AZ BOR meeting on Friday to finalize the move. Then things go crazy this weekend.

So the alternative was..... Stay in the Pac12 and make $12M less?

The Big Ten does not currently want CU. The SEC does not currently want CU. The ACC has worse financial issues than the Big12 does.

This is by all accounts a temporary move. 7 years of getting paid at least $12M more per year than we would have otherwise. CU is getting more money than ever, will have more exposure than we have ever had in the Pac12 and we have a head coach who demands more attention than we have ever had. If CU can win, this is all set up for CU to be the next hot name to get poached.
I’m not hating on optimism or aspirations. I’m all about that. If it goes down the way you’re saying, awesome. Love it.

We were boxed in. No doubt. Still hard to see the schools we were in the sinking boat with are getting reduced share invites. Nothing we could have done (as far as we know) but doesn’t mean I have to like it.

What the **** is this post? Prime willingly came to a Pac 12 program post USC/UCLA. The Pac was already a junior league. The B12 was the best of a ****ty situation. If you want to simply say, “Prime would rather coach in the SEC or B1G”, then OK, bold take, Cotton!

Btw, he did make a statement about it, but I’m not sure what more you want him to say?

That’s not how Prime operates. A quote from 24/7? Come on. He’s not Pat Narducci.

1. CU improved its situation.

2. You are absolutely correct that CU will not be able to consistently compete with ADs earning double what we do.

So take the win and build towards solving the long-term problem.

Notably, the money does seem to have diminishing returns as it increases. At a certain point, it mostly helps non-football success because there's nothing left to spend it on for football besides being able to make bigger mistakes and recover from them more quickly. Now, if the future is revenue sharing with players then I'll be the first to say that any AD not earning at the top tier is fvcked.

Back