What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Honestly. You or anybody else please explain to me how the Big 12 with 16 teams is a better spot for us than a PAC 10. It feels like the money would be about the same, but the hassles and actual enjoyment of the games would be much better in the PAC 10. We aren’t going to the SEC or B1G. Our choices are limited.
The Big XII has far better athletic programs than what the remains of the Pac 10 have.

Cal is a special kind of ****ed. With their whole "stadium being built in a fault line" thing, their books make CU look like a highly profitable AD.
Speaking of that, I wonder if the UC system can charge UCLA some kind of ongoing fee for bailing on the conference. I doubt it, but I imagine the thought has occurred to a few folks in Berkeley.

One of the smartest people I have known used to say about government and politicians, "It's all about the jobs." Same could be true here.
In this case, best I can figure is that universities are facing challenges to maintain or grow the on-campus student population. Maybe driving this idea of marketing the university, including regular publicity in more of the population centers around the country, to help navigate through the current trends on education. Also, connecting with where their alums are concentrated outside their current marketing reach.

To this point, academic affiliation and home market wealth/population may be more important to conference expansion than most are talking about. The things that ESPN cares about are not the same as the things university presidents care about.

Honestly. You or anybody else please explain to me how the Big 12 with 16 teams is a better spot for us than a PAC 10. It feels like the money would be about the same, but the hassles and actual enjoyment of the games would be much better in the PAC 10. We aren’t going to the SEC or B1G. Our choices are limited.
What happens if one of those leagues goes to UW/UO and offers a 60% share of TV revenue if they join? At a minimum, they're likely doubling the TV money if they stay. What going to the Big 12 basically does in my view is allow CU to control its own destiny to a certain extent given a very bad hand. Are we going to the SEC or B1G now? No-but going to the Big 12 for the time being gives CU a chance to get its house in order to possibly make themselves more attractive to either of those leagues when realignment pops back up closer to the ACC's GoR expiring.

It’s not. And if UO/UW ever bolt the B12 will be waiting with open arms.

I’ve read the last few MHVer tweets. You can see the panic in them. It’s freaking awesome. They’re scared of being poached by the Pac 12 ACC deal.
Put the bong down before you post please.

Not really sure how you equate this with a school like Oklahoma State being poached by this nonsense.

The Big XII has far better athletic programs than what the remains of the Pac 10 have.
I'm just failing to see that. If you add the rumored 6 teams to the Big 12, and then ranked all of the schools, 4 of the Pac 12 schools would be in the upper crust of the conference in terms of prestige, historical significance and TV markets.
Ducks
Washington
CU
ASU

Who else would be in the upper tier? We left the Big 12 because Tex-ass greed, and because outside Texas, Okla, Nubs, A&M and KU, the rest of the conference is hot garbage.

Reactions: GB8
I would prefer to be in a Texas centric conference with teams that care about playing football than remaining in the neutered PAC12. I see the BIGXII with the four corner schools getting serious attention from a third media giant looking to compete against FOX and ESPN. I also think there would be a lot of crossover interest from the B1G and SEC footprint in that new conference. I don't see any of that happening with the status quo.

If we avoid a long GOR then I think this puts us in the best position to be picked up by the B1G/SEC in the future. We can remake ourselves as a competitive football brand with a majority of Texas recruits because I don't see this California experiment ever bearing fruit.

Maybe most of the failure of the PAC12 the last 12 years has been the failure of the PAC12 network but I would rather throw my chips into Texas where football is king and we would again be a desirable destination compared to our conference peers.

Since the offer came out after the cut off date, any idea what the penalty is for leaving the pac?
There is no exit fee for the Pac 12, but the conference keeps the GoR through the end of this media deal-which is 8/24.

My guess would be if the four corners schools go, UO/UW follow. The Pac 12 has no choice but to disband at that point.

I'm just failing to see that. If you add the rumored 6 teams to the Big 12, and then ranked all of the schools, 4 of the Pac 12 schools would be in the upper crust of the conference in terms of prestige, historical significance and TV markets.
Ducks
Washington
CU
ASU

Who else would be in the upper tier? We left the Big 12 because Tex-ass greed, and because outside Texas, Okla, Nubs, A&M and KU, the rest of the conference is hot garbage.
The Pac has Oregon. That's it. Washington's basically CU but with more recent success. ASU will get punished for the COVID stuff, and CU has had 2 winning seasons in the 11 years they've been in the Pac.

Ducks
Washington
CU
ASU

If that’s the case then that hot garbage included us as well and we’ve only gotten worse. I also don’t exactly remember A&M cutting it up back then in their Big 12 days.

What if the Pac-10 was able to poach from the Big 12?

It's not unreasonable to think that KU and TTU would take the invite.

Then if you can't get TCU, SMU is actually wealthier and a bit better on academics for the DFW market.

Poach SDSU, Boise State and UNLV from the MWC.

That's a lot of great markets, prestigious institutions, and name brand programs.

Football is strong. Basketball is insane. And those of us with a chance in the 2035 round of expansion (when ACC GoR is up), are positioned to make moves.

The Pac has Oregon. That's it. Washington's basically CU but with more recent success. ASU will get punished for the COVID stuff, and CU has had 2 winning seasons in the 11 years they've been in the Pac.
Utah would probably win the Big 12 straight up and would certainly be one of the favorites if they were in the league today.

Put the bong down before you post please.

Not really sure how you equate this with a school like Oklahoma State being poached by this nonsense.

I’m referring to the tweet that’s two down from that one. Yes they are afraid of that because there is no reason for any one to stay if there’s $0.01 more to be made elsewhere. There’s no loyalty. None. The B12 doesn’t mean jack **** to any of them. And if ESPN likes this idea then their bottom feeders, like our pal MVHer and his beloved WVU, are screwed.

Then if you can't get TCU, SMU is actually wealthier and a bit better on academics for the DFW market.

That's a lot of great markets, prestigious institutions, and name brand programs.

Football is strong. Basketball is insane. And those of us with a chance in the 2035 round of expansion (when ACC GoR is up), are positioned to make moves.
KU and Houston are the two best options
Kansas City and Houston

Yeah I don't take any of this ACC talk seriously because I don't think they can do it without tearing their grant of rights up.
Can you explain?I’ve seen you say this numerous times. If it’s a merger, I agree. If it’s a scheduling collaboration without pooling media rights, I don’t see why they would have to “tear up GoR”. Thanks.

Last edited:

Those adds assuredly increase the size of the pie, but likely decrease the size of the slices.

I think MHVer3 is one of those people that just likes to repackage stuff he has seen on the internet (fan boards, tweets, etc) and post it as fact. He does not seem to have any real in anywhere.

The big problem the Pac12-2 has is the PAC12 network and a bad media deal, otherwise they would be more attractive. The lack of games that anyone could see is a real problem and one the Trojans complained about for awhile saying it was having a major impact on recruiting and also left the PAC out of the playoffs. The only thing the Big 12 has going for it is no PAC12 network. It is one thing to play a game at night and it is another thing to play it on a network no one gets.

In any business you deal with issues that hold you back. I hope in this media negotiations the PACN is dealt with efficiently. If they want to cling to it in the hopes that it will be valuable someday, it will sink them.
Can I just say there watching USC football is excruciatingly boring

Those adds assuredly increase the size of the pie, but likely decrease the size of the slices.
Any G5 additions to the Pac 10 should come with a significantly lower revenue share. Boise, SDSU, SMU, Fresno, UNLV, etc. Don’t care how good said G5 program has been, they should get about half what the current members do. A seat at the teenagers table is worth it

Can you explain?I’ve seen you say this numerous times. If it’s a merger, I agree. If it’s a scheduling collaboration with pooling media rights, I don’t see why they would have to “tear up GoR”. Thanks.
Put down the bong, bro!

Any G5 additions to the Pac 10 should come with a significantly lower revenue share. Boise, SDSU, SMU, Fresno, UNLV, etc. Don’t care how good said G5 program has been, they should get about half what the current members do. A seat at the teenagers table is worth it
Agree. They would have to accept smaller slices or deferred payments to make it work. I’m in favor of adding P5 teams and elite G5 teams. I’m not sure all those suggestions meet the criteria.

Can you explain?I’ve seen you say this numerous times. If it’s a merger, I agree. If it’s a scheduling collaboration with pooling media rights, I don’t see why they would have to “tear up GoR”. Thanks.
He can’t explain it. No one can unless you’re a media network lawyer or a random internet guy.

Back