What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I've never been part of a negotiation where you didn't have to give something to get something.
Cbs You Get Nothing And Youll Like It GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

The other 10 invested millions in creating those assets. I doubt they give them away if they have rights to them.
Quitting makes previous investments meaningless. Every school that left did so because they were greedy. Same with the vote not to take the 1st offer from RSPN: greed.

Im pretty sure departing schools lose their share for this season. As well as the right to vote on governance. Id LOL if WSU and OSU ended up with all the CFP money if one of the ten departures made it to the playoff.

See you in court.

Quitting makes previous investments meaningless. Every school that left did so because they were greedy. Same with the vote not to take the 1st offer from RSPN: greed.

Im pretty sure departing schools lose their share for this season. As well as the right to vote on governance. Id LOL if WSU and OSU ended up with all the CFP money if one of the ten departures made it to the playoff.

See you in court.
No one left prior to the contract expiring. There is no "quit" just the absence of a renewal.

3. Withdrawal.
No member shall deliver a notice of withdrawal to the Conference in the period beginning on July 24, 2011, and ending on August 1, 2024; provided, that if any member does deliver a notice of withdrawal prior to August 1, 2024, in violation of this chapter, the Conference shall be entitled to an injunction and other equitable relief to prevent such breach, and if a court of competent jurisdiction shall deny the Conference such injunctive relief, the Conference shall be entitled to retain all the media and sponsorship rights in the multi-player video distribution (MPVD) and telecommunications/wireless categories of the member purporting to withdraw through August 1, 2024, even if the member is then a member of another conference or an independent school for some or all intercollegiate sports competitions. Additionally, if a member delivers notice of withdrawal in violation of this chapter, the member’s representative to the CEO Group shall automatically cease to be a member of the
CEO Group and shall cease to have the right to vote on any matter before the CEO Group.

This reads that the PAC can sue to stop universities from leaving and if no injunction is provided, they atleast receive the media right revenue through 2024. That's a fairly large penalty that UCLA and SC are going to pay. Not sure how UCLA is going to pay that and certainly don't see how other members not named SC could pay it either.

Last edited:
No one left prior to the contract expiring. There is no "quit" just the absence of a renewal.
That is what most people seem to miss on other forums.

No one has broken the gor. No one has or has to notify the PAC that they are leaving, because no one is leaving the PAC until after August 2nd 2024. The PAC still has 12 members. This will go to court, and in all likelihood it will end up being negotiated. But I can not fathom all the rest of the members just being like....yeah, you 2 do whatever you want with all these assets and any and all decisions over the next year.

3. Withdrawal.
No member shall deliver a notice of withdrawal to the Conference in the period beginning on July 24, 2011, and ending on August 1, 2024; provided, that if any member does deliver a notice of withdrawal prior to August 1, 2024, in violation of this chapter, the Conference shall be entitled to an injunction and other equitable relief to prevent such breach, and if a court of competent jurisdiction shall deny the Conference such injunctive relief, the Conference shall be entitled to retain all the media and sponsorship rights in the multi-player video distribution (MPVD) and telecommunications/wireless categories of the member purporting to withdraw through August 1, 2024, even if the member is then a member of another conference or an independent school for some or all intercollegiate sports competitions. Additionally, if a member delivers notice of withdrawal in violation of this chapter, the member’s representative to the CEO Group shall automatically cease to be a member of the
CEO Group and shall cease to have the right to vote on any matter before the CEO Group.

This reads that the PAC can sue to stop universities from leaving and if no injunction is provided, they atleast receive the media right revenue through 2024. That's a fairly large penalty that UCLA and SC are going to pay. Not sure how UCLA is going to pay that and certainly don't see how other members not named SC could pay it either.
No one is leaving prior to August 2024.

No one is leaving prior to August 2024.

Is that how you read this line?
if any member does deliver a notice of withdrawal prior to August 1, 2024, in violation of this chapter, the Conference shall be entitled to…

Cause it reads pretty differently to me.

Like most conferences it sure sounds like there is a completely separate membership contract with different dates thats separate from the GOR media deal between TV and the conference.

That clause seems to be based around when the school gives notice of leaving, not when they actually leave
Does it?

"deliver a notice of withdrawal to the Conference in the period beginning on July 24, 2011, and ending on August 1, 2024"

There are a couple things here.

First, deliver a notice? What is a notice? How does it need to be delivered? Delivered is a key word, does that mean physical delivery? Does it require confirmation it has been sent, delivered and accepted?

But most importantly, the clause certainly would mean a notice to withdraw during the contract period.

If, and this is a big if, any of the 10 members actually delivered a formal notice to withdraw, most likely they did not, because they don't need to, that withdrawal notice would be for a date after the contract terms. "We are leaving August 2nd 2024!...when the contract we are notifying you of this is no longer active, so I don't even need to tell you this, but hey, I'm doing it anyways cause I'm cool like that"

Lol, ianal, but if I can pick holes in this in a minute, good lawyers will love it. Look at the crap that happened with SDSU, we sent you a letter of leaving, but no we really didn't, just kidding.

This will be tied up in courts and appeals, and the reserves that they are fighting for will be chewed up with lawyer fees until they all, ALL12, negotiate something. And we saw how good these 12 negotiate things amongst themselves over the past couple of years.....🤣🤣🤣

I just thought something super bad. If the above proves to be true and WSU and OSU get all the money then Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington are really dumb. They could have convened a CEO Group meeting and voted to dissolve the conference before departing thus denying WSU and OSU this much power. Instead they appear to have withdrawn like everyone else. If it proves to be true.

Last edited:
First, deliver a notice? What is a notice? How does it need to be delivered? Delivered is a key word, does that mean physical delivery? Does it require confirmation it has been sent, delivered and accepted?

But most importantly, the clause certainly would mean a notice to withdraw during the contract period.

If, and this is a big if, any of the 10 members actually delivered a formal notice to withdraw, most likely they did not, because they don't need to, that withdrawal notice would be for a date after the contract terms. "We are leaving August 2nd 2024!...when the contract we are notifying you of this is no longer active, so I don't even need to tell you this, but hey, I'm doing it anyways cause I'm cool like that"

Lol, ianal, but if I can pick holes in this in a minute, good lawyers will love it. Look at the crap that happened with SDSU, we sent you a letter of leaving, but no we really didn't, just kidding.

Good luck with that idea Mr. IANAL…

“The landscape of collegiate sports is ever-evolving, and the University of Colorado Boulder has determined the Big 12 is the best future fit for our athletic teams,” CU President Todd Saliman said after the board of regents voted 9-0 … to approve the conference switch in 2024.

Last edited:
Good luck with that idea Mr. IANAL…

Where does your link say anywhere that we officially delivered a notice TO THE PAC 12 that we are leaving before August 1st 2024?

It's the date of leaving that is important here, not the date notice was sent....even if we did send an official delivered notice directly to the PAC 12...which I doubt we did.

Where does your link say anywhere that we officially delivered a notice TO THE PAC 12 that we are leaving before August 1st 2024?

It's the date of leaving that is important here, not the date notice was sent....even if we did send an official delivered notice directly to the PAC 12...which I doubt we did.
Bruh. 😂😂😂

Ok so lets say maybe we didnt give notice. I bet if I look….officially ****ing joining another conference…probably also puts CU in breach of membership contractual status.

Bruh. 😂😂😂

Ok so lets say maybe we didnt give notice. I bet if I look….officially ****ing joining another conference…probably also puts CU in breach of contract status.
They have not joined the big 12 yet. They don't until 2024. They are not in breach of anything....yet.

They've given notice that they are leaving.

I think this has legs.

1. Precedent set when USC and UCLA announced they were leaving and relinquished voting rights.

2. On the cubuffs.com page, this seems like a statement declaring CU is leaving the PAC 12. Not sure how to argue that isn't such.

The University of Colorado Board of Regents unanimously approved a resolution Thursday allowing the University of Colorado Boulder to join the Big 12 Conference effective for the 2024-25 academic year.
Joint Statement from Chancellor Philip DiStefano and Athletic Director Rick George

After careful thought and consideration, it was determined that a switch in conference would give CU Boulder the stability, resources, and exposure necessary for long-term future success in a college athletics environment that is constantly evolving. The Big 12's national reach across three time zones as well as our shared creative vision for the future we feel makes it an excellent fit for CU Boulder, our students, faculty, and alumni.

These decisions are never easy and we've valued our 12 years as proud members of the Pac-12 Conference....

I think this has legs.

1. Precedent set when USC and UCLA announced they were leaving and relinquished voting rights.

2. On the cubuffs.com page, this seems like a statement declaring CU is leaving the PAC 12. Not sure how to argue that isn't such.
I assume “notice” is defined in the contract. You seem like just the guy to find that clause.

I really can’t imagine it’s not defined. Usually “notice” requires, at least, formal letter stating the sender’s intent to do something. Publicly saying something isn’t usually legal notice.
Exactly.

I'm surprised people think what they do.

Hokies legal filing says all the departing schools gave notice.

4. Consistent with the Bylaws, after USC and UCLA gave notice that they would withdraw from the Pac-12 in 2024 to join the Big Ten, their representatives were automatically removed from the Pac-12 Board of Directors, and they were no longer allowed to participate in Board meetings or to vote on Board matters.
5. More recently, eight other Pac-12 members have delivered notice of withdrawal from the Pac-12 Conference, and announced their intention to join the Big Ten, Big 12, and Atlantic Coast Conferences in 2024. The only two Pac-12 members that have not delivered a notice of withdrawal are Washington State University (“WSU”) and Oregon State University (“OSU”).
7. Nevertheless, in direct contravention of the Pac-12 Bylaws, and in direct defiance of the Conference’s treatment of USC and UCLA in 2022 when they delivered early notices of withdrawal, and Colorado when it delivered its notice of withdrawal just over a month ago
8. The Conference’s actions have left Plaintiffs WSU and OSU, as the only Conference members that have not delivered a notice of withdrawal from the Conference

1. Holding, or taking any steps to hold, a Pac-12 Conference Board meeting that includes representatives of the ten Pac-12 Conference members who have delivered notice of their withdrawal from the Conference,^1

^1 For the avoidance of doubt, the ten Pac-12 Conference members that have delivered notice of withdrawal from the Conference are: University of Arizona; Arizona State University; University of California, Berkeley; University of California, Los Angeles; University of Colorado, Boulder; University of Oregon; University of Southern California; Stanford University; University of Utah; and University of Washington

Last edited:
Hokies legal filing says all the departing schools gave notice.

4. Consistent with the Bylaws, after USC and UCLA gave notice that they would withdraw from the Pac-12 in 2024 to join the Big Ten, their representatives were automatically removed from the Pac-12 Board of Directors, and they were no longer allowed to participate in Board meetings or to vote on Board matters.
5. More recently, eight other Pac-12 members have delivered notice of withdrawal from the Pac-12 Conference, and announced their intention to join the Big Ten, Big 12, and Atlantic Coast Conferences in 2024. The only two Pac-12 members that have not delivered a notice of withdrawal are Washington State University (“WSU”) and Oregon State University (“OSU”).
7. Nevertheless, in direct contravention of the Pac-12 Bylaws, and in direct defiance of the Conference’s treatment of USC and UCLA in 2022 when they delivered early notices of withdrawal, and Colorado when it delivered its notice of withdrawal just over a month ago
8. The Conference’s actions have left Plaintiffs WSU and OSU, as the only Conference members that have not delivered a notice of withdrawal from the Conference

1. Holding, or taking any steps to hold, a Pac-12 Conference Board meeting that includes representatives of the ten Pac-12 Conference members who have delivered notice of their withdrawal from the Conference,^1

^1 For the avoidance of doubt, the ten Pac-12 Conference members that have delivered notice of withdrawal from the Conference are: University of Arizona; Arizona State University; University of California, Berkeley; University of California, Los Angeles; University of Colorado, Boulder; University of Oregon; University of Southern California; Stanford University; University of Utah; and University of Washington

That is surprising if accurate, but what is the withdrawal date on the notice? I would assume August 2nd 2022. And that is what I was saying was the bigger problem for OSU/WSU since the withdrawal date would need to be within the contract terms for that withdrawal clause to matter.

It's telling that from what ive read that the pac is taking the stance that all the schools are board members.

I think they have a shot of getting a temporary injunction, but that ain't gonna answer the bigger questions here and it may not even be resolved in the courts until after August of next year. Which would probably really screw up OSU/WSU if they still holding on.

Back